OT: Powerball Odds to Increase Dramatically | The Boneyard

OT: Powerball Odds to Increase Dramatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How do they do this? Statisticians among us explain?? I find this both baffling and suggestive of lottery fixing.

Tyler Phommachanh://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/07/07/odds-of-winning-powerball-jackpot-will-soon-be-slimmer/

Reaction Score
Essentially all they did was increase the total numbers available to choose, from 59 to 69. This significantly reduces the odds of picking 5 correctly.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If the odds of winning are longer, all it means is Jackpots will be higher resulting in more people buying tickets.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A few years ago one of our sets of family #es we all played when we played won the Powerball for very big money - over 100 million - and not one of the 5 of us played that time -there were no winners. Played a handful of times since - figure the Lottery Gods gave me a shot and I blew it! :oops:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Odds (chances) of winning will be slimmer, odds against increased dramatically.

Reaction Score
A few years ago one of our sets of family #es we all played when we played won the Powerball for very big money - over 100 million - and not one of the 5 of us played that time -there were no winners. Played a handful of times since - figure the Lottery Gods gave me a shot and I blew it! :oops:
I always tell my wife God wouldn't do that to her if she forgets to get the tickets. Maybe I've been mistaken.

Reaction Score
My lottery strategy is to find a winning ticket instead of buying tickets. I believe the odds of winning will be almost the same either way.

Reaction Score
Odds (chances) of winning will be slimmer, odds against increased dramatically.
Odds against it is already close to 1, >99.9999994%, I would not call it increasing drastically if the last number 4 is changed 9!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Odds against it is already close to 1, >99.9999994%, I would not call it increasing drastically if the last number 4 is changed 9!
Odds went from 1 in 175,223,510 to 1 in 292,201,338. That's about a 67% increase. That's pretty dramatic.

Reaction Score
Odds went from 1 in 175,223,510 to 1 in 292,201,338. That's about a 67% increase. That's pretty dramatic.
That is an increasement, mr Meyers? lol!
At the beginning I was telling it is not an increasement, but Zorros tring to play the word odds with odds against, hence I posted saying that the odds did not increase Dramatically , as it changed the six decimal after the point percentage wise.

So the odds against increases ever so slightly while the odds of winning DECREASES drastically. You need to find the definition of increase in a dictionary the next time when you use it again. :)

Reaction Score

You just joined the biggest club in the USA, the un-winners. With the odds of winning in numbers hard to understand, intellectually I resist buying Lotteries--then I think--you can't win if you don't play, but like another on BY, I hold out for big payoffs--got to be more than 20 dollars or I won't play. The difference between the haves and the have not's.

Reaction Score
At the beginning I was telling it is not an increasement, but Zorros tring to play the word odds with odds against, hence I posted saying that the odds did not increase Dramatically , as it changed the six decimal after the point percentage wise.

So the odds against increases ever so slightly while the odds of winning DECREASES drastically. You need to find the definition of increase in a dictionary the next time when you use it again. :)
Ah, but are we speaking of increase or decreasing in positive or negative directions. If the increase is in creating fewer losers or the decrease in increasing more winners when does a winner become a loser in the lottery definition. Or you could just read the IRS regulations for how to define the time duration for filing for a refund when they take more than they should. When does that clock start?? Answer--when they say it starts, if ever it starts.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If the odds of winning are longer, all it means is Jackpots will be higher resulting in more people buying tickets.

Bingo; it's always all about the Benjamins.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Ummm yea that's in increase. See, 292,201,338 happens to be greater than 175,223,510. It's a math thing. 67% seems pretty dramatic to me. Maybe not in your math world though?? :confused:

By the way MegaMillions over $100 mil now ($64 Mil lump sum), time to buy a ticket. :D

Reaction Score
Ummm yea that's in increase. See, 292,201,338 happens to be greater than 175,223,510. It's a math thing. 67% seems pretty dramatic to me. Maybe not in your math world though?? :confused:

By the way MegaMillions over $100 mil now ($64 Mil lump sum), time to buy a ticket. :D
Are you serious or just joking? If you are serious, then you need to go back to the grammar school and learn fractions. Those big numbers are on the denominator, dear. You cannot say a quarter(1/4) is an increase from a half (1/2) because 4 is great than 2!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Are you serious or just joking? If you are serious, then you need to go back to the grammar school and learn fractions. Those big numbers are on the denominator, dear. You cannot say a quarter(1/4) is an increase from a half (1/2) because 4 is great than 2!
Your kinda missing the whole thing aren't you? Don't think I can help you.

mr006

Reaction Score
Yea, I don't even waste my time until it's up in the hundreds of millions. I mean, what would I do with a piddly 30 million anyway?

I bet hundreds (if not thousands) of family, extended family, friends, supposed friends, neighbors, telemarkers, tax collectors, etc could help you find *some* thing to do with it... and if they don't, I'm sure any number of Boneyarders would be more than happy to assist. Has anyone started that thread yet? :p

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I bet hundreds (if not thousands) of family, extended family, friends, supposed friends, neighbors, telemarkers, tax collectors, etc could help you find *some* thing to do with it... and if they don't, I'm sure any number of Boneyarders would be more than happy to assist. Has anyone started that thread yet? :p
I suppose I could deal with it...if I HAD to. :rolleyes:

I guess I just don't know if they could pay me enough to win the lottery. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom