OT: Potentially Moving to Charlotte | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Potentially Moving to Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look in Wilmington NC. Beautiful area, decent schools and not far from the border
And, decidedly rubbish advice for a person who will work in Ballantyne Corp Place. That would be a 3-4 hour commute!

Here's a good source for some initial, potentially far more reliable research: http://www.city-data.com/ One obvious suggestion for possible consideration, don't rely entirely too much on your company's relocation service provider. Or, even worse, unreliable Boneyard advice. Good luck.

Reaction Score
Look in Wilmington NC. Beautiful area, decent schools and not far from the border
Wilmington was a real red neck town in the 70's when I used to visit one of our factories. I'm told it has now become upscale. I believe Wilmington is the home of Michael Jordan.

Reaction Score
I've been here for 15 years, the last 12 in the same house. If you're working in Ballantyne, there's a great range of houses from $150K-$1M, all within a 10-15 minute commute, 20-30 if you want to live in Union County. I pay $2700/yr on a $210K house in Charlotte. In the past 5-10 years, dozens of bars and pizza places have sprouted up, great places to work out (the Y and other places), MILFs galore, and beer available after 8 PM, people from all over the east coast.

Most the schools around here are fine, good dedicated teachers. Look for these schools in Meck Co:
Elem: Hawk Ridge, Elon Park, Ballantyne, Endhaven, McKee, McAlpine, Polo Ridge, Providence Spring
Middle: Community House, South Charlotte Middle, Jay M. Robinson
High: Ardrey Kell, Providence

Leave the Land of Steady Habits behind with it's lace curtains, rotting, aging, core and 100+ inches of snow. In NC it will be 70+ degrees from next week until November.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This has to do with the MetLife move from Bloomfield to this address:
14120 Ballantyne Corp Place
Ste. 505
Charlotte, NC 28277

I'll be doing my own research as well but there's no better intel than from the locals.
Man, good luck. I was in Travelers Life & Annuity when MetLife snatched em up... All the uncertainty... I left for a better opportunity then, but a lot of old friends and coworkers are going through the same upheaval again.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
There's an aptly named Cesspool for this ****.

Breathe in the irony of a guy name "Perspective" insinuating that blacks have it better than whites in the Carolinas. Outstanding!

Reaction Score
I have family in Charlotte ( South Park ) and a lot of personal experience in that area. I generally think very well of Charlotte. Traffic is murder and Charlotte covers a ton of area ( think hartford if it included the city, east Hartford, West Hartford, Avon and Farmington. The actual downtown is very small with the remainder as dense suburbs. Living outside of Charlotte if you work there would be difficult I think. Public transportation is still very immature.

As far as southern cities are concerned this one is the nicest IMHO, though that particular bar is pretty low.

Reaction Score
I've been here for 15 years, the last 12 in the same house. If you're working in Ballantyne, there's a great range of houses from $150K-$1M, all within a 10-15 minute commute, 20-30 if you want to live in Union County. I pay $2700/yr on a $210K house in Charlotte. In the past 5-10 years, dozens of bars and pizza places have sprouted up, great places to work out (the Y and other places), MILFs galore, and beer available after 8 PM, people from all over the east coast.

Most the schools around here are fine, good dedicated teachers. Look for these schools in Meck Co:
Elem: Hawk Ridge, Elon Park, Ballantyne, Endhaven, McKee, McAlpine, Polo Ridge, Providence Spring
Middle: Community House, South Charlotte Middle, Jay M. Robinson
High: Ardrey Kell, Providence

Leave the Land of Steady Habits behind with it's lace curtains, rotting, aging, core and 100+ inches of snow. In NC it will be 70+ degrees from next week until November.

I almost had a Ron Burgendy moment with your post. My wife and I were driving our kids back from music class and was reading to her some of the great suggestions from the Yarders. I was reading this from my phone so much of my concentration was scrolling around the text. Well I was reading yours for the first time. I had already read in my head "MILFs galore" but actually already said "MIL...". It's a good thing I caught my self and started making up stuff on the fly. I ended up saying "MIL...lion things to do around the area" My wife couldn't understand why I had to stop after your post because I was laughing the whole time after.

A lot of good info though! :)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Or Northwest Hills CT.

Even the Actors and Actresses behave like red neck townies. Rip Torn for instance (the head of Men in Black. Agent Zed)

Typical Rip headlines:
Rip Torn Drunk Driving Charges With A Christmas Tree Atop His Suburu Sleigh (2008)

Actor Rip Torn arrested, charged with breaking into local bank with loaded gun when drunk (2010)

It's CTs only Republican County :).

I went to a Skynyrd show at The Meadows once. Blew my mind how many rednecks there were in CT and MA.

Reaction Score
I almost had a Ron Burgendy moment with your post. My wife and I were driving our kids back from music class and was reading to her some of the great suggestions from the Yarders. I was reading this from my phone so much of my concentration was scrolling around the text. Well I was reading yours for the first time. I had already read in my head "MILFs galore" but actually already said "MIL...". It's a good thing I caught my self and started making up stuff on the fly. I ended up saying "MIL...lion things to do around the area" My wife couldn't understand why I had to stop after your post because I was laughing the whole time after.

A lot of good info though! :)

Glad to help. The transition was a little tough at times, but if you have kids (which we didn't for a long time after moving here), that helps to make friends, and transferring with work will help as well. Met picked the best part of town to relocate as far as schools, housing, and traffic (relatively) are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom