OT Pats | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Pats

Reaction Score
The Jesse James play in Pittsburgh a few years ago comes to mind. Gifted the Patriots home field and a cakewalk to the Super Bowl.

This is funny. First because the 5th seed Jax beat Pitt at Heinz Field, so it's not like Pitt had to play at New England. Second because the NFL actually decided to change that rule but the crazy part is they decided to change it during the Super Bowl when it benefited the Eagles! Craziest thing I've ever seen to use 2 sets of rules in the biggest game of the year. Unheard of. Didn't even go through committee.

The Patriots also lost a 1st seed in a game against Denver 2 years prior when the refs blew the game in the same fashion they blew it tonight.

Reaction Score
I’m a Giants fan we suck. We didn’t play today so I watched the Pats and there were some bad calls like usual every week in every game. But you can’t complain about the refs as a Pats fan the scale has tipped your way for a long long time in that regard. No doubt you had a couple awful ones but just so you know others have had the same thoughts over the years after losing to you. Happens move on.
Yep, and the giants game earlier this year, the giants receivers were mugged 2 or 3 times with no call late in the game.
It happens

Reaction Score
No mentally stable adult roots for more than one NFL team.
What's even crazier is the number of NFL fans who root for teams at least 500 miles away, choosing to pass over the locals.
That doesn't happen in any other sport. Its amazing

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Is this really a post crying about the refs in a Pats loss?

Because, if it is....let me know so I can gather all the tears in a bucket and DRINK THEM.
I'm sure the tears would make your sauerkraut edible.

Reaction Score
What's even crazier is the number of NFL fans who root for teams at least 500 miles away, choosing to pass over the locals.
That doesn't happen in any other sport. Its amazing
From Danbury, and I've been a Ravens fan since i was 9. Didnt want to choose a team just because they were local, chose the Ravens because I always enjoyed good defense and loved the colors. Plus everyone I knew that liked the local teams just seemed absolutely miserable. But you're right about it being only NFL, every other sport I'm local.

And for the thread topic LOL Pats fans complaining about refs LOL

Reaction Score
From Danbury, and I've been a Ravens fan since i was 9. Didnt want to choose a team just because they were local, chose the Ravens because I always enjoyed good defense and loved the colors. Plus everyone I knew that liked the local teams just seemed absolutely miserable. But you're right about it being only NFL, every other sport I'm local.

And for the thread topic LOL Pats fans complaining about refs LOL
There were no Ravens when I was 9. Just Colts with John Unitas. And about 1-2 years removed from the “greatest game ever”. Before my time...

Reaction Score
People want the Patriots to lose every game they watch them play. So you don't normally see all the sketchy calls against them but you note all the sketchy calls in their favor. I get it--people hate them. But the perception of them is pretty simple to understand. Even this year with the two ridiculous tripping calls in the Dallas game, no one noted the equally ridiculous crackback and holding call against the Patriots that similarly ended two drives. I think this KC game is notable because all 4 calls happened in succession in the last quarter. Well, there was one horrid OPI against Kelce that broke them up, but...

Lol all I can say is predictable and typical. Can’t blame you but you’re wrong up. Everyone else sees it.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I was honestly the most surprised on that pass interference. Just from th live shot, I was like, ok he was tackled, that's a flag. Aaaaaaand....nothing.

Ref was right there:

View attachment 48981
My point exactly. And for what it's worth I am a Giants fan. They blew the call on the fumble which had a chance at a TD, they blew the call on the sideline OB which was a TD and they blew this interference call. Agreed the Pats offense is not very good but sheesh these calls are bad

Reaction Score
Lol all I can say is predictable and typical. Can’t blame you but you’re wrong up. Everyone else sees it.

Everyone else hates them. Of course the Patriots get calls. Every team does. That means they also get a lot of calls against them. Yesterday's game will be forgotten ASAP. But it's no different than the many other times it happened and no one remembered. When you look at the Philly Super Bowl and tell me there is favoritism, I say you're deluded. Never before in history did the league adopt a new rule just for the game, and conveniently they didn't need to be consistent with it because the old rule was still on the books. Crazy stuff.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm a Patriots and Eagles fan. I think complaining about officiating or accusing other teams of cheating make football fans sound like whiny baseball fans. Not a good look.
What a strange combo of teams. Who did you want to win two years ago?

FYI I’m a long time Pats fan but for some strange reason my son became an Eagles fan fifteen years ago. Been following them as well since. Three years ago I’m going nuts trying to will a Pats victory over the Falcons. What a comeback. The following year I thought I’d be happy no matter the outcome. How wrong I was! Found myself extremely worried the Pats would pull out another last minute victory. Fifty years rooting for a team and the love for my son changed my loyalty. For that game only. Was very happy the Pats won last year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Words I’ve been waiting years to hear “Pats screwed by refs”

With all the calls the Pats get year in and year out, I’m not sorry. It’s about damn time they get screwed just like the other 31 teams have been.

The officiating does need to get better, in a hurry.

Every team in football gets screwed by the refs, that's why I don't complain too much when my team does. Two phantom tripping calls a few weeks ago cost us a shot to drive down the field and win the game...but they've definitely gotten bad calls in their favor too.

The main theme here is that the refs are allowed to be horrible and there's absolutely zero accountability. You can't even say anything postgame or you'll get fined. It's the same in baseball...I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Every team in football gets screwed by the refs, that's why I don't complain too much when my team does. Two phantom tripping calls a few weeks ago cost us a shot to drive down the field and win the game...but they've definitely gotten bad calls in their favor too.

The main theme here is that the refs are allowed to be horrible and there's absolutely zero accountability. You can't even say anything postgame or you'll get fined. It's the same in baseball...I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

Nah, the main thing is that every team gets a bad call against them and then it evens out. In this game it was a string of very bad, very high impact calls, all going against the Patriots. They even threw flags and picked them up several times.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
No mentally stable adult roots for more than one NFL team.
??? grew up in and around Philly. Started going to Schaeffer Stadium games as a guest of a co worker after moving to CT.
If you bind a Giant’s fan to a chair, force them to listen while someone scratches a blackboard it will cause them less discomfort than having them realize there’s a fan rooting for the Eagles and Pat’s. Those are the two teams they despise the most even before the recent set of Super Bowl victories.

I don’t hate the Giants. It’s nice to see the northeast win. Trying to be reasonable with fans that want to ruin your happiness because they’re miserable is futile. Of course it’s futile for them. It’s like a Syracuse fan talking smack to UConn fans about Helms Trophies.

Reaction Score
Pats fan here. The Pats didn't come to play from their 1st touchdown until the blocked punt. They deserved to lose that game. With that being said, some of these calls in this game and other games are egregious. The refs basically took 14 points off the board in this game and the missed PI call at the end.

It looks like the refs aren't overly concerned about making the right call on the field anymore since they have the replays to overturn any call. This changes how a game is called and changes the entire complexion of the game.

Reaction Score
If you bind a Giant’s fan to a chair, force them to listen while someone scratches a blackboard it will cause them less discomfort than having them realize there’s a fan rooting for the Eagles and Pat’s. Those are the two teams they despise the most even before the recent set of Super Bowl victories.

I don’t hate the Giants. It’s nice to see the northeast win. Trying to be reasonable with fans that want to ruin your happiness because they’re miserable is futile. Of course it’s futile for them. It’s like a Syracuse fan talking smack to UConn fans about Helms Trophies.
Not true. Every giants fan despises the cowboys and eagles. No real reason to hate the Pats. Different division and we own them in the big game.

Reaction Score
It looks like the refs aren't overly concerned about making the right call on the field anymore since they have the replays to overturn any call. This changes how a game is called and changes the entire complexion of the game.

But if replay takes the pressure off the refs, they should then defer to replay, and you do that by not whistling the play dead if there's a fumble, or ruling it a TD so that replay can decide if it is one or not.

As soon as those refs were conferring on whether or not he was in bounds, and it was taking so much time to figure out if either saw it, the default should be to go with TD because of replay. It's a luxury they have.

Reaction Score
Just to add one play that Will Brinson from San Fran Examiner is reporting, the refs apparently gave the Chiefs a 5 yard penalty for hands to the face. They marked it back 5 yards for a 2nd and 15. Hands to the face is a 10 yard penalty. Belichick was livid at this one. How do you get that wrong? You don't know the yardage for a penalty????

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Not true. Every giants fan despises the cowboys and eagles. No real reason to hate the Pats. Different division and we own them in the big game.
More like not every Giants fan. There’s a significant number that don’t like the Pats because of the regional rivalry and fans they frequently come across who behave in their minds obnoxiously. Not many Cleveland fans in the northeast. And many Giants fans are Yankees fans while many Pats fans are Red Sox fans so there’s that as well.

It’s the beauty of rivalries and what was lost when the BE was broken up.

Reaction Score
I didn't see it - so I just figured it was Pats fans screaming about nothing. But WOW, those are some of the worst calls I've seen. But it happens from time to time to every team - just happened to be their turn. Sucks when it potentially changes the outcome of a game - which could change everything re: seeding etc.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But if replay takes the pressure off the refs, they should then defer to replay, and you do that by not whistling the play dead if there's a fumble, or ruling it a TD so that replay can decide if it is one or not.

As soon as those refs were conferring on whether or not he was in bounds, and it was taking so much time to figure out if either saw it, the default should be to go with TD because of replay. It's a luxury they have.
Very much like the Harden dunk that clearly went through the hoop once, but not the second time. The refs didn't see the net slingshot the ball back above the rim and disallowed the points. They claimed the play was not reviewable. I can understand why Powersthatbe don't wish to make judgement calls reviewable, but if a central tenet of replay is not to correct obvious wrongs, there is no reason for replay at all.

They conferred on "unreviewable" plays for longer than what it would take to actually review the darned thing.

Another example is in hockey. The puck can be in a team's defensive zone for, in hockey terms, forever, but only because the puck was literally two water droplets behind a skate blade 83 feet away 70 seconds earlier, the goal is disallowed.

Back to football: Before the Megatron disallowed-touchdown a few years ago, there was little ambiguity in the definition of a catch (Two feet inbounds and control of the ball.). Only after they are "allowed" to review it and slow it down to less than 1/36 of a second, does unreasonable doubt creep in.

Arbitrary replay rules are making sports unwatchable.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This actually cracked me up. When it rains it pours

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member