OT: Pats Signed Tebow | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats Signed Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just how everyone talked how smart he was for picking up Albert Haynesworth, how did that work out. What is he going to be, their 4th TE.

What does that mean? They took a shot on Haynesworth knowing full well if it didn't work out they'd dump him. That's what they did. They gave up a 5th round pick for it and that's basically it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kap is 6'5 240. If he's not built to take a pounding, who is?

Ben Roethlisberger 6'5 240 -> always injured; to his credit still toughs it out. Donovan McNabb 6'2 240 -> always injured.

Size at the QB doesn't matter in the NFL if it's a running QB. No one is built to take a pounding at the NFL level playing that style of football. The defenders are bigger and stronger and you WILL take a pounding. And you will get injured.

Also, Kap's got a lot skinnier legs than Donovan or Ben. Wonder if that'll come back to haunt in terms of ankle/knee injuries. We'll see.

Although it was a limited sample set you have to be impressed by a passer rating of 98.3 , 62.4 completion percentage and a 10:3 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Not to mention, He also averaged 8.32 yards per pass attempt, which led all starting quarterbacks in the NFL. If you think he's the "flavor of the week you haven't watched him play much.

Good numbers. Played well. Pretty good poise. Like you said, limited sample. He kind of burst on the scene and no one was prepared to handle it. Reminds me of how the Wildcat offense came on the scene down in Miami in that way.

Didn't say HE was the flavor of the week. But the hybrid quarterback thing is where all teams seem to want to go now -> that's the flavor. Defenses will adjust, as they always do. I am curious to see how Kap does over the next 2 years. He should be a good QB, but I certainly would be punching him a ticket to Canton yet.

Ps. Sorry to hijack the thread. My initial post wasnt intended to start a debate on Kap. Lets get back to Tebow

You can't just make a bunch of points and then last word us like that! Besides, it's an interesting discussion and pertains to Tebow, as he is that type of quarterback.

Reaction Score
Kap is 6'5 240. If he's not built to take a pounding, who is? Although it was a limited sample set you have to be impressed by a passer rating of 98.3 , 62.4 completion percentage and a 10:3 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Not to mention, He also averaged 8.32 yards per pass attempt, which led all starting quarterbacks in the NFL. If you think he's the "flavor of the week you haven't watched him play much.

Ps. Sorry to hijack the thread. My initial post wasnt intended to start a debate on Kap. Lets get back to Tebow
View attachment 3106 View attachment 3106

Daunte Culpepper was 6'4", 260 and after his 5th year as a starter, he played 7, 4, 7, 5 and 8 games. Quarterbacks wear different pads. And the average span of an RB's career in their prime is usually not all that long. So, no, he's not built to take a pounding.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Daunte Culpepper was 6'4", 260 and after his 5th year as a starter, he played 7, 4, 7, 5 and 8 games. Quarterbacks wear different pads. And the average span of an RB's career in their prime is usually not all that long. So, no, he's not built to take a pounding.
Lucky for Colin he's a QB. You're missing the fact that he is a very, very good passer and only runs on occasion. Those running lanes are open because he is such an accurate passer. He's a strong pocket passer who can run like a deer and you're using that incredible combination as a reason he will fail instead of succeed. Interesting deduction.

Reaction Score
Lucky for Colin he's a QB. You're missing the fact that he is a very, very good passer and only runs on occasion. Those running lanes are open because he is such an accurate passer. He's a strong pocket passer who can run like a deer and you're using that incredible combination as a reason he will fail instead of succeed. Interesting deduction.

Runs "on occasion" for him is still way, way more than true pocket passers. And my deduction is based on the more hits a quarterback takes, the worse it is for his long term prognosis. That holds true for a QB with a bad offensive line as well. Bottom line is, he's a new hybrid. He is not a pocket passer. His odds of being hurt are much greater. It's not that difficult.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Runs "on occasion" for him is still way, way more than true pocket passers. And my deduction is based on the more hits a quarterback takes, the worse it is for his long term prognosis. That holds true for a QB with a bad offensive line as well. Bottom line is, he's a new hybrid. He is not a pocket passer. His odds of being hurt are much greater. It's not that difficult.
He has the best offensive line in football and is a very good pocket passer. Don't be fooled by the fact that he ran roughshod over the NFL last year. There is a reason Harbaugh moved up in the draft to get him and sat a QB who had completed 25 of his last 27 passes and led them to the NFC title game the year before (Smith) in favor of him. I guess my point is that Colin is a lot more than just a runner or a hybrid. He is a great passer who can run like crazy. Thats not a bad thing.

While this doesn't exactly address your point that a running QB may have a shorter career (i still dispute Kap is a running QB) it does shed light on the fact that "mobile" QB's are no more likely to miss starts than "pocket passers"

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...ike_colin_kaepernick_more_injury_prone.2.html

130131_SN_Quarterbacks1.jpg.CROP.article568-large.jpg

Reaction Score
The hatred for Tebow is unreal. He is what he is. He can run some, throw a little and is a winner.

Where is this hatred you are talking about? Everyone is talking about his football ability. But that doesn't fit your war on Christianity shtick, does it?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He has the best offensive line in football and is a very good pocket passer. Don't be fooled by the fact that he ran roughshod over the NFL last year. There is a reason Harbaugh moved up in the draft to get him and sat a QB who had completed 25 of his last 27 passes and led them to the NFC title game the year before (Smith) in favor of him. I guess my point is that Colin is a lot more than just a runner or a hybrid. He is a great passer who can run like crazy. Thats not a bad thing.

Part of the reason he ran rough shod because defenses were not ready for him. They'll be ready and well game planned this year. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts. And come on, the fact that Harbaugh moved up to get him doesn't mean anything, other than he liked him. McDaniels moved up to get Tebow and that wasn't exactly a winner. Also, he only saw the field because Smith got hurt, not because of he beat him out. Smith would have stayed starting otherwise. Credit to Kap that he took the ball and ran with it (pun).

I guess my point is that Colin is a lot more than just a runner or a hybrid. He is a great passer who can run like crazy. Thats not a bad thing.

You could certainly argue that. If he has a running lane and no immediate option, he'll take the run. A true pocket passer will wait and wait, shift around in the pocket and unleash something, only running for a couple of measly yards as a bail out if the play falls totally apart. This is where pocket presence gets developed. Heck, normally pocket passer either throw away or take a sack.

Who knows how he'll turn out at this point, but I wouldn't mind having him on my team, if we didn't already have Brady.

Reaction Score
The Pats have a long history of making stars out of "average" talent and reviving the dead careers of "has beens" (Usually running backs) I suspect they can find interesting ways to play Tebow and I'd guess they already have some ideas. The Pats would never bring a guy in for attention so they must see some value there. I look forward to seeing what they try to do with him.

My guess is we see quite a bit of him if he is on the opening day roster. Otherwise, he gets cut very quickly to avoid a circus.

What has-been RB have they revived other than Corey Dillon?

Reaction Score
Antowain Smith?

I don't remember him being highly thought of after Buffalo cut him loose.

Smith was behind a good oline in NE, he wasn't much of anything after he left NE either. Dillon was never a has been in Cincinnati.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Well you know the joke. Tebow can drop to his knee quicker than any QB in the NFL. Perfect showmanship and styling for the closing minutes against the Jets, Denver, and the Florida teams.

Reaction Score
Somehow, someway....I think you're right.

The Jets had no clue what to do with him and it ruined their season, their offseason and perhaps Mark Sanchez's life.

Belichick will spend three seconds thinking about this and kill the NFL with Tebow.

lol. Yes, it was their inability to utilize a third string quarterback, and not the fact that they had Arena league-caliber skill players and one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the league, that ruined their season.

That wasn't even the funniest part of your post, either - Belichick "killling the NFL with Tebow" takes the cake there. He'll be a third string quarterback, who may occasionally play special teams and work in a limited capacity on offense...and that's if he makes the cut. Some of you act like Belichick is Christ himself, and that a quarterback with laughable throwing mechanics is suddenly going to terrify defensive coordinators because he's a Patriot. He may well be worth the money as an emergency quarterback, a utility player, and a practice body, but let's not get carried away here.

Reaction Score
Totally right on the pocket passers. If you look at most of the title contenders, they're all pocket passers. Rodgers, Brady, Flacco, Brees, Peyton and Eli Manning. The RG3's and the Kaepernicks are more "flavor of the week" guys if you're looking to build a long term playoff perennial franchise. RG3 is already hurt. Kaepernick isn't built to take a beating.

Wilson, Kapernick, and Griffin are pocket passers too, they just have the ability to run, giving defenses another dynamic to account for. It keeps defenses off balance when you have the luxury of taking off for a first down with your feet when all your other options are covered. There's something to be said for protecting your body, but it isn't as if Brady or Manning would be lesser players if they could run a little bit. Andrew Luck is another guy who is a pure pocket passer but also possesses some speed, as are Roethlisberger and Rodgers. I don't think you understand how advantageous it is to be able to improvize when the play breaks down, as Wilson, Griffin, and Kapernick, and to some extent, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Luck, are able to do.

Reaction Score
(i still dispute Kap is a running QB)

Kaepernick vs Green Bay (1/30/13) - 16 carries for 181 yds rushing.
Drew Brees in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 combined - 172 yds rushing

Kaepernick isn't anything close to a pocket passer.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The Patriots already may be making money on their investment. The team's pro shop was taking pre-orders for jerseys with his last name — and no number — on the back. Prices ranged from $69.95 to $99.95, with free shipping.

During practice, the QBs worked under the close scrutiny of offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the head coach with the Denver Broncos in 2011 when Tebow enjoyed his greatest pro success.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
lol. Yes, it was their inability to utilize a third string quarterback, and not the fact that they had Arena league-caliber skill players and one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the league, that ruined their season.

Granted, you're a blithering idiot on your best day, but f---, son, look up hyperbole and then learn to recognize it.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Kaepernick vs Green Bay (1/30/13) - 16 carries for 181 yds rushing.
Drew Brees in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 combined - 172 yds rushing

Kaepernick isn't anything close to a pocket passer.

Again, youre missing the point. He is an excellent passer and was very successful throwing from the pocket and on the move. However, he also has other skills that allows him to do other things like set an NFL rushing record for QB's when the defense allows it like they did in the Green Bay game. That makes him more dangerous, not a liability

Your post also neglects to mention that while rushing for a record 181 yards he also had more passing yards then one of the all time great passers, Aaron Rodgers. Which is my overarching point. He is an excellent passer which makes him a deadly runner which makes him an even more dangerous passer.

Kaepernick: 17-31, 256 yards, 8.3 yards per pass, 1 interception

Rodgers: 26 - 39, 248 yards, 6.4 yards per pass, 1 interception

And, for a little support from NFL.com ................a recent comparison they did between Andrew Luck and Kap. This is just the section on pocket presence.

Pocket presence

There is no doubt about Luck's ability to thrive from the pocket. Scouts touted him as the most polished quarterback to enter the NFL since Peyton Manning, and his production last season did little to dispute that notion. Luck shattered the rookie record for passing yards while displaying exceptional poise and composure from the pocket. Hit unmercifully behind a leaky offensive line (41 sacks), Luck refused to flinch and repeatedly delivered accurate strikes under duress. Now, there is no disputing the fact that Luck's numbers were greatly affected by the constant pressure and harassment. He registered 23 turnovers as a rookie (18 interceptions and five lost fumbles), primarily due to defenders crashing the pocket.

When sufficiently protected, Luck can carve up a defense with surgical precision. He will work every area of the field to stretch the defense horizontally, while also taking enough shots down the field to keep defenders from squatting on short and intermediate routes. Additionally, Luck will relentlessly work between the hashes to take advantage of favorable matchups against linebackers in space -- a tactic that is habitually utilized by savvy veterans. The fact that Luck has already adopted it speaks volumes about his maturity as a pocket passer.
Kaepernick is a strong pocket passer, despite the perception that he is strictly a zone-read playmaker. He operates efficiently in a quick-rhythm passing game that features three-, five- and seven-step drops (or one-, three- and five-step drops from the shotgun). Reviewing the coaches film, I was amazed at his efficiency and effectiveness when directing the 49ers' passing game. Kaepernick frequently released the ball on time at the top of his drop, allowing the offense to develop a rhythm. Additionally, he works all areas of the field to keep opponents from suffocating the passing game with tight coverage on the perimeter. From delivering accurate strikes to Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham on intermediate routes outside the numbers to launching deep balls to Randy Moss, Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker, Kaepernick fully strained opposing defenses last season. The second-year man took the reins from Alex Smith in Week 10 -- after Smith was knocked out of a game against the St. Louis Rams with a concussion -- and there is no question the 49ers' offense was more dynamic and explosive with Kaepernick at the helm.
The numbers validate Kaepernick's efficiency from the pocket. He compiled a passer rating of 98.3 on the strength of a 62.4 completion percentage and a 10:3 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Most importantly, Kaepernick averaged 8.32 yards per pass attempt, which led all starting quarterbacks in the NFL. Sure, that number is slightly inflated -- due to numerous play-action passes completed off of subtle zone-read action in the backfield -- but it is indicative of his ability to push the ball down the field with accurate throws.

Reaction Score
Again, youre missing the point. He is an excellent passer and was very successful throwing from the pocket and on the move. However, he also has other skills that allows him to do other things like set an NFL rushing record for QB's when the defense allows it like they did in the Green Bay game. That makes him more dangerous, not a liability

Your post also neglects to mention that while rushing for a record 181 yards he also had more passing yards then one of the all time great passers, Aaron Rodgers. Which is my overarching point. He is an excellent passer which makes him a deadly runner which makes him an even more dangerous passer.

Kaepernick: 17-31, 256 yards, 8.3 yards per pass, 1 interception

Rodgers: 26 - 39, 248 yards, 6.4 yards per pass, 1 interception

Kaepernick is dangerous because he also is around a top o-line, running game, has the best TE in the NFL, 2 great posession receivers, and a deep threat receiver.

Reaction Score
Granted, you're a blithering idiot on your best day, but f---, son, look up hyperbole and then learn to recognize it.

A blithering idiot in your mind is anybody who doesn't regard your opinion as fact. I think you'd be better served continuing to make snarky jokes on conference realingment, because let's face it, all you do is embarass yourself when you try to talk sports.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Kaepernick is dangerous because he also is around a top o-line, running game, has the best TE in the NFL, 2 great posession receivers, and a deep threat receiver.
Alex Smith had all that and he wasn't dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom