OT: Pastry Thread | The Boneyard

OT: Pastry Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So with the Super Bowl being a bust, myself typing a lab report, and my hunger growing, I've thought of a new thread idea. Yes, it could be considered a thread for the off-season, but who really wants warm pastries on a summer morning? Not I, said CTBasketball, so I commence the pastry thread. I'll start it off:

Donuts:

Brooklyn Bakery (Waterbury, CT) - best jelly donuts in the state.
Neil's Donuts (Yalesville, CT) - very good donuts, not better than Brooklyn.
Quality Bake Shop RIP (Meriden, CT) - the best.

I've only been to some in Central CT, as seen by the locations. But it is hard to find a good donut or breakfast pastry no matter where you go.

Reaction Score
The donut stand at Sound View beach in Old Lyme has the worlds best glazed donuts. Modern Pastry in Hartford always good. Elmwood Bakery in West Hartford has very good donuts.

Reaction Score
Even way out here in CA we know its all about Mozzicato's on Franklin Ave!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Neil's Donuts in Wallyworld. The only thing we miss since moving.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
BTW, as a retired chef, a donut is not pastry!! You don't deep-fry pastry!!!

They really are stupid, aren't they?

They can't even talk about donuts without revealing themselves to be unwashed hayseeds.

Deep-frying a pastry! As if!

By God, people, it's a confection!

I think.

Reaction Score
They really are stupid, aren't they?

They can't even talk about donuts without revealing themselves to be unwashed hayseeds.

Deep-frying a pastry! As if!

By God, people, it's a confection!

I think.

Whaddaya mean "I think?"
Don't you even have the courage of your own confection?
Anyway, i don't think a donut could be a confection. I think it must be a convection.

A convection is the "concerted, collective movement of ensembles of molecules within fluids (e.g., liquids, gases) and rheids."

And you would need a convection oven to make donuts - an oven that "imparts heat assisted by fans to force air movement"...
Sounds exactly like the Boneyard to me. With all the hot air on this Boneyard currently produced by all these fans, it would be overflowing with donuts by now. And Fishy would weigh 240 pounds.

But, au contraire, all we have produced this year is a classic donut hole team .
I rest my case.

Reaction Score
So with the Super Bowl being a bust, myself typing a lab report, and my hunger growing, I've thought of a new thread idea. Yes, it could be considered a thread for the off-season, but who really wants warm pastries on a summer morning? Not I, said CTBasketball, so I commence the pastry thread. I'll start it off:

Donuts:

Brooklyn Bakery (Waterbury, CT) - best jelly donuts in the state.
Neil's Donuts (Yalesville, CT) - very good donuts, not better than Brooklyn.
Quality Bake Shop RIP (Meriden, CT) - the best.

I've only been to some in Central CT, as seen by the locations. But it is hard to find a good donut or breakfast pastry no matter where you go.

You are a Meriden man if you know Quality.....wow Verdolini's and Quality, the good ole days!!

Reaction Score
Lucibello's Italian Pastery Shop -on Grand Avenue New Haven(best Italian Pastary since D'Angelo's im Meriden that closed 25 years ago).

Lucibello's Pasticiotti (Bocconotti) -little vanilla or choclate filled small pies-are the BEST I have ever had.

If you like Mozzicato's you will love Lucibello's.

Reaction Score
There was a pastry shop in Noank that was superb. Alas, it closed last year.

Reaction Score
A new bakery (Angelo's, it's in the former fish market) opened in Colchester. The stuffed breads , regular Italian and donuts are good. The cupcakes are very good, and the creme filled zeppoles are to die for. They do cookies like Mozzicato's too.

Reaction Score
I take it you've had Quality?

I miss their crumb buns and cinnimon raisen tear away buns. My grandmother would always have a good supply it seems everytime I went over.

Also when I was a kid we used to go to Vienna Pastry Shop on Pratt Street and D;Angelo's on West Main were real good too.

Nothing close to these in town now :(

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looks like we have many donut fans here. Some people like cupcakes better. I for one care less for them. I say, there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of gods grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
As a kid, Rita's Bakery in Naugatuck (actually Union City) had tremendous portugese rolls and danish. I just googled it and it's still there and still getting great reviews. Next time I'm back in the valley, I'll have to try it again.

Reaction Score
Also when I was a kid we used to go to Vienna Pastry Shop on Pratt Street

Holy cow, a Vienna bakery reference, the last place I would expect to hear that name. Loved their black and white cookies and the boston creme donuts. Do you remember Quick Checks? Right behind Jefferson middle school, man, bring back the memories.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Looks like we have many donut fans here. Some people like cupcakes better. I for one care less for them. I say, there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of gods grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!
I thought he was a man?

Best Italian pastries in the state imo are Lucibello's in New Haven and Mozzicato's in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Holy cow, a Vienna bakery reference, the last place I would expect to hear that name. Loved their black and white cookies and the boston creme donuts. Do you remember Quick Checks? Right behind Jefferson middle school, man, bring back the memories.

Don't remember quick checks. What was it?

Reaction Score
I take it you've had Quality?

Grew up on Liberty Street and moved to Yale Ave while at Maloney so we had to turn into Swain all the time......basically an every Sunday stop for the family after church (believe it or not I did go to church for a while)...

I know Quality very good and missed!

Reaction Score
Grew up on Liberty Street and moved to Yale Ave while at Maloney so we had to turn into Swain all the time......basically an every Sunday stop for the family after church (believe it or not I did go to church for a while)...

I know Quality very good and missed!

Even us Platt kids went to the East Side to go to Quality and Tony and Terry's(miss their meatball grinders). :)

Reaction Score
Even us Platt kids went to the East Side to go to Quality and Tony and Terry's(miss their meatball grinders). :)

A Panther huh? What years?

Tony's & Terry's wow.....actually greasy as hell but tasty no doubt. Centennial wasn't bad in it's day either over on your side....Village Barn, Shamrock for non-food related activity lol......Katz for my baseball stuff......

Played legion baseball and city league hoops (Cuno League at the Boys Club too) with many Platt kids who are good friends......long time ago!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom