OT Olbermann back on ESPN | The Boneyard

OT Olbermann back on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can't help but smile.

He is just such a weird and eccentric personality. May not be the taste of many ... but its ESPN2 at 11:30. You really aren't clicking on that now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Can't help but smile.

He is just such a weird and eccentric personality. May not be the taste of many ... but its ESPN2 at 11:30. You really aren't clicking on that now.

Him Patrick, Kenny Maine, and Van Pelt are the ESPN guys I like for being amusing, weird, slightly esoteric, and goofy. That's entertaining, not all the other hypers, stuff shirts, ass sniffers and the like that they employ at that place.

Reaction Score
The over/under until he's fired/quits or the show tanks is Xmas Eve when he insults the Baby Jesus on a drunkin' bindge at St Patricks Cathedral in NY.

The man is an angry nut job who won't finish his 2 year contract.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Kilborn was one of my favorites during his short stint.

Forgot about him. I always felt like he had some sick inside jokes going that us prols weren't privy to. He def was funny.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The over/under until he's fired/quits or the show tanks is Xmas Eve when he insults the Baby Jesus on a drunkin' bindge at St Patricks Cathedral in NY.

The man is an angry nut job who won't finish his 2 year contract.

lol. So I'm guessing you're conservative? :D

Reaction Score
You can dislike Olberman and be a Dem. Put Rush on one side and Olberman on the other and I'm as far away from both of those wack jobs as you can get.

I'm a moderate, independent, Reagan Democrat. But I'm also part of the 86% in this country who think Congress is pathetic.

I love my country but really dislike the con men who run it.

Let's not make this political. I dislike haters and Olberman can be flat out mean and has hate in his heart.

Just another reason to dislike ESPN. Rarely, if ever, watch them anyways.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You can dislike Olberman and be a Dem. Put Rush on one side and Olberman on the other and I'm as far away from both of those wack jobs as you can get.

I'm a moderate, independent, Reagan Democrat. But I'm also part of the 86% in this country who think Congress is pathetic.

I love my country but really dislike the con men who run it.

Let's not make this political. I dislike haters and Olberman can be flat out mean and has hate in his heart.

Just another reason to dislike ESPN. Rarely, if ever, watch them anyways.

Yeah, don't worry, I was just joking. Hence the smiley face.

Falls under the standard forum humor corollary: any jokes about politics will be misinterpreted whether intended or not.

fwiw, I'm pretty sure I don't exist anywhere along the modern political spectrum. I'm a pragmatist/realist. We are in short supply!! :D

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Olberman is back on ESPN?!

Holy crap, that is huge news that I will probably forget entirely until he gets himself canned again.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He was hired but cannot talk about politics...Which is a good thing. When he did straight sports he was pretty good.

Reaction Score
He was hired but cannot talk about politics...Which is a good thing. When he did straight sports he was pretty good.
Terrible career move for him to get away from sports and move to politics. If he stuck with ESPN like he should have, his life would probably be a lot easier on him.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Met him once, brilliant guy. He knows it too. Also, one of the more arrogant people I've ever come across.

Will be an important figure when the history of the political media wars is written as one of the first people to successfully out the right wing media machine, and Fox News for what it was.

That said, meeting him put me off watching his show. That, and his deliberate shift from debunking the rights absurdities to creating his own.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Met him once, brilliant guy. He knows it too. Also, one of the more arrogant people I've ever come across.

Will be an important figure when the history of the political media wars is written as one of the first people to successfully out the right wing media machine, and Fox News for what it was.

That said, meeting him put me off watching his show. That, and his deliberate shift from debunking the rights absurdities to creating his own.
Well put. Could not have said it better.

Reaction Score
Terrible career move for him to get away from sports and move to politics. If he stuck with ESPN like he should have, his life would probably be a lot easier on him.

His problem was not the politics, it's his ego. He's exceptionally talented, but he has left every job in a blaze of glory (WCVB in Boston, ESPN, MSNBC, CurrentTV). Many of his former employers won't even let him back in their buildings. Given the past bad blood with ESPN, I'm kinda shocked they hired him back.

Whether the show is successful or not, he will flame out again.

Reaction Score
It's ESPN.

Many of you react furiously on some political front. He's going to do Sports ... and he's very very good at SPORTS. He is arrogantly brilliant; and so was Howard Cosell. I miss him too. You could just get the bluster of Chris Berman & his empty loud arrogance. Olbermann is controversial & will be pointed. I will expect him to take in the NCAA & college sports.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
His problem was not the politics, it's his ego. He's exceptionally talented, but he has left every job in a blaze of glory (WCVB in Boston, ESPN, MSNBC, CurrentTV). Many of his former employers won't even let him back in their buildings. Given the past bad blood with ESPN, I'm kinda shocked they hired him back.

I don't blame so much for that. Everyone complains about how dishonest and phony the media is. Upsetting the media establishment at ESPN and cable news orgs doesn't bother me at all. I think it's probably necessary.

At his best, KO brought a certain honesty that really stood out. Whether you agreed with him or not he used verifiable facts instead of the media shtick that was everywhere else.

I could see how that would piss off a lot of people in the business. I assume he gets board with dealing with it then goes full wacko on air and behind the scenes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Made an enormous amount of dough when he switched though. Depends on your priorities I guess.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

ESPN has a dearth of 'talent' right now. Makes sense for them. They've pretty much devolved into pure sensationalism anyway.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
My favorite story was when he fractured his foot by running in Vibram Five Fingers. He didn't heed the break-in period warnings and didn't let his feet get slowly stronger over time...just started putting on miles.

Then went on a brief campaign against five fingers saying they weren't built for bigger guys like him. Meanwhile, a lot of NFLers wear them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't blame so much for that. Everyone complains about how dishonest and phony the media is. Upsetting the media establishment at ESPN and cable news orgs doesn't bother me at all. I think it's probably necessary.

At his best, KO brought a certain honesty that really stood out. Whether you agreed with him or not he used verifiable facts instead of the media shtick that was everywhere else.

I could see how that would piss off a lot of people in the business. I assume he gets board with dealing with it then goes full wacko on air and behind the scenes.

Sub, definitely can't use that abbreviation for Olberman. Has to be sacrilegious or something. Ooof.

Reaction Score
Flame out or NOT ... still better television than whatever most of the stuffed suits ESPN has hired in recent years can bring. Car wrecks are fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Is Obberman the guy that uses a mattress as a pillow? I think I saw him once shampooing his hair in the Niagara Falls.

Reaction Score

I don't get what you're saying. Olberman doesn't burn bridges because he takes on the "media establishment" or otherwise exposes their phoniness and dishonesty. He burns bridges because he's a preening, arrogant, self-centered jackass with an entirely inflated opinion of his own intelligence, and people just generally don't like working with him. I'm sure he'd be the same way if he worked at Costco. And I say that as someone who enjoyed Countdown from time to time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He burns bridges because he's a preening, arrogant, self-centered jackass with an entirely inflated opinion of his own intelligence, and people just generally don't like working with him. I'm sure he'd be the same way if he worked at Costco.

So he fits right in at ESPN....

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I enjoyed Keith when he was on ESPN, despised him in the political arena

MSNBC even removed him for election night coverage for being over the top, and that's a hard thing to accomplish at MSNBC.

Hope he can focus on sports, something he couldn't do when NBC tried using him on prime time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom