OT: NO looking to trade 10th pick | The Boneyard

OT: NO looking to trade 10th pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
with the contracts of Ariza or Okafor or both. If i were the celtics i would jump on this in a heartbeat. If they are looking to just clear capspace, the celts can take Ariza/Okafor contract and get the 10th overall pick. Package the 10th and 21st to get into the top 5/6 and grab drummond. Would not be surprised if the nets do this. They are trying to get back into the draft after pulling off that awful trade to rent gerald wallace for a month for the 6th overall pick.

caw

Reaction Score
The questions for the Celtics are whether they can afford to do that trade. They really have no one to send to N.O. and would have to eat Okafor's contract (and/or possibly Ariza's).

If they do that they have:

PG: Rondo, Teague (#22?)
SG: Bradley, Moore (resigned)
SF: Pierce, Buford (#51?)
PF: Garnett, Drummond, Hollins (resigned)
C: Okafor, Steisma (resigned), Johnson

If they can pull it off and resign Garnett the above isn't bad. Huge hole at the backup positions if the rookies/sophomores don't pan out. They do get much younger though and have some really solid potential in Teague and Drummond. Plus you know Teague can throw an alley-oop. If they could afford Ariza with as well that would be a huge bonus.

I think Hollins, Steisma and Moore can all be pretty cheap resigns. Garnett would be a big question mark. Ray is obviously not likely to resign (though with the above team, he would fit in perfectly at the backup 2). Pietrus would be a nice resign also.

If they can't swing that deal, they likely have to draft either Fab Melo or Royce White or someone like that at #21.

Reaction Score
with the contracts of Ariza or Okafor or both. If i were the celtics i would jump on this in a heartbeat. If they are looking to just clear capspace, the celts can take Ariza/Okafor contract and get the 10th overall pick. Package the 10th and 21st to get into the top 5/6 and grab drummond. Would not be surprised if the nets do this. They are trying to get back into the draft after pulling off that awful trade to rent gerald wallace for a month for the 6th overall pick.

I just don't see how the Celtics could get the 10th pick/Okafor from New Orleans. Yeah, Okafor is just a salary dump but you'd have to give up something of value for that 10th pick. The only tradeable asset they have of real value (other than Rondo/Pierce who would never be a part of this deal) is Avery Bradley but you'd be trading him to a team that already has Eric Gordon.

Reaction Score
If the Celtics were willing to take on most of Okafor's contract, I would think New Orleans would only ask for the 21st pick and JaJuan Johnson (or something along those lines). That's how valuable cap space is in the NBA, and how bad Okafor's contract looks right now (especially with his injury issues).

Okafor is an intriguing player to add to this team, but would it be worth taking on his contract if it meant losing two of the Bass/Green/Pietrus group? Personally, I think I'd rather just bring those guys back and work on moving up in the draft.

Ariza is another interesting guy, but not at that contract. $7+ millions is WAY too much for the Celtics to commit to a bench player.

caw

Reaction Score
If the Celtics were willing to take on most of Okafor's contract, I would think New Orleans would only ask for the 21st pick and JaJuan Johnson (or something along those lines). That's how valuable cap space is in the NBA, and how bad Okafor's contract looks right now (especially with his injury issues).

Okafor is an intriguing player to add to this team, but would it be worth taking on his contract if it meant losing two of the Bass/Green/Pietrus group? Personally, I think I'd rather just bring those guys back and work on moving up in the draft.

Ariza is another interesting guy, but not at that contract. $7+ millions is WAY too much for the Celtics to commit to a bench player.

Okafor would come with the #10 pick. I think they could still sign one of Bass/Green/Pietrus and the other two wouldn't be a big loss.

Really the Celtics season hinges on Garnett though.

Reaction Score
Okafor would come with the #10 pick. I think they could still sign one of Bass/Green/Pietrus and the other two wouldn't be a big loss.

Really the Celtics season hinges on Garnett though.

It seems like a chicken/egg situation. Garnett won't want to come back unless he's sure the Celtics have a strong enough roster to contend. But the Celtics' offseason strategy will hinge on whether or not Garnett comes back.

caw

Reaction Score
It seems like a chicken/egg situation. Garnett won't want to come back unless he's sure the Celtics have a strong enough roster to contend. But the Celtics' offseason strategy will hinge on whether or not Garnett comes back.

I guess in a way it is. However, what I meant was whether Garnett would resign at a relative discount.

Reaction Score

That trade doesn't work though cuz Okafor makes about $12M and Johnson about $1M. Even Avery Bradley (1.5M) + Johnson (1) + EMoore (.5M) isn't enough. Like someone said the only Celtics tradeable right now are Rondo and Pierce and that is extremely unlikely and/or a complete reboot. And these 5 guys are literally everyone currently under contract for next year. I guess if the Celtics re-sign Bass or Jeff Green or Ray they could try and make this work but I don't think they'd pay any of those guys more than half of what Okafor is making and maybe Green is the only one who'd do a sign and trade (if he's vastly overpaid for doing it).

It'd be great to have Okafor in Celtic green though, I still think he has untapped NBA value. It'd be super interesting to put a guy who was unexpectedly one of the best ever at UConn on a team with someone who wasn't as phenomenal as expected - maybe the NBA iterations converge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom