OT - Michael Sam | The Boneyard

OT - Michael Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're a brave young man. Well done. Given that you're subjecting yourself to potential monetary loss, verbal abuse, and personal affront, I count you among the more courageous individuals I have ever observed. It would have been very easy for you to simply say nothing, make the money, and play the games. To come out prior to the draft is truly a statement of your values, which are obviously uncompromising and laudable.

Well done and good luck to you.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
Tough thing to do. You can't not root for a guy like him.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
As much as I admire his courage, the timing was supposedly due to others making it virtually public without his permission and he then decided to "own" his own story which I think was smart. According to this article in SI, most NFL teams already knew and had moved him down on their draft board as a result. I find it incredibly short-sighted of teams to take that position. If anything, I think it could be an opportunity for an NFL team to make a statement that improves the culture of the league. The Brooklyn Dodgers were forever admired in my father's house due to Jackie Robinson.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140209/michael-sam-draft-stock/

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Contrast his bravery with the complete lack of balls on the GMs scared to draft him. They'll take a rapist or known drug user any day, but it's this guy who's considered a locker room issue? Mizzou just had a great season and all of his teammates knew he was gay.

Reaction Score
The town knew and so did 90% of the GM's who did their homework. It's amazing that he would drop so far as one NFL person said, just because they afraid to be the first to break down this barrier………

Did Mizzou play Texas Tech this year - imagine their super fan Orr in the stands with this one? Yikes……..

Reaction Score
As long as he doesn't play center I'm sure it won't be a problem. In fact 'chasing men' can be an advantage in his sport.

Wow Kita, you stay up all night thinking about these? LOL:oops:

Reaction Score
I'm reading all this stuff about how NFL locker rooms are macho, masculine, etc., and that the perception is a gay guy would have a tough time fitting in.
"In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game."
What could be more masculine than having a thing for guys?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He probably won't get half the flack that Tim Tebow had to put up with for being a Christian.

Reaction Score
He probably won't get half the flack that Tim Tebow had to put up with for being a Christian.

Half of why people hate Tebow is because of jealousy just like people hate Tom Brady
The other half is because he is over the top with being public about his religious views.

It appears Mike Sam just wants to make this a non-issue. Play the game. Help his team win. And everyone goes about their regular business. If so, than it is not the same thing. If he becomes a very vocal advocate of gay rights things and constantly talks about them in interviews and displays it in other ways, than people will get annoyed with him and take issue. I'm not saying that I will, but instead stating what I have observed/ predict.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Yeah...that's what it was...because he was Christian. Because...you know....being Christian is rare in the NFL...so that must have been why he was so polarizing....yeah..that's it. People didn't like this new fangled religion being flaunted in the clubhouse.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
People in the NFL didn't like Tebow because backup QB's shouldn't be on the front page nor have the fans chanting for him to play. The circus finally got to be too much. He was good enough to play in the league, but not worth the hassle.

Three different teams tried him out and it didn't work. Bad luck for him, but if he refused all the interviews he'd still have a job somewhere.

This kid doesn't have nearly that kind of baggage and the minute he steps on the field in a regular season game, it will be done with.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You're a brave young man. Well done. Given that you're subjecting yourself to potential monetary loss, verbal abuse, and personal affront, I count you among the more courageous individuals I have ever observed. It would have been very easy for you to simply say nothing, make the money, and play the games. To come out prior to the draft is truly a statement of your values, which are obviously uncompromising and laudable.

Well done and good luck to you.
I'm not so sure about the monetary loss. I think there are coaches out there like Belichick and Tom Coughlan that will be all over this kid if he is the right fit for the team.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
In today's episode of what stupid people say /\

Most athletes are Christians and many athletes are religious. If that pissed off non-religious people, then a lot fewer people would watch sports. Tebow was in a small group of athletes who believe in actively proselytizing, meaning that they'll talk about God every chance they get. "First, I'd like to thank God. Without my lord and savior nothing would be possible. THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!!!" "Uh, Tim, that's great, but I asked you about that pass on 3rd and 7."

Meanwhile, I can guarantee that while Sam is getting a lot of publicity now, he won't be starting every post-game interview with, "First, I'd like to thank God for making me gay. Being gay is great and I want everyone to know it. I LOVE BEING GAY!!!!!!!" He won't want to talk about his sexuality more than any "macho" dude out there wants to hear about it.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The town knew and so did 90% of the GM's who did their homework. It's amazing that he would drop so far as one NFL person said, just because they afraid to be the first to break down this barrier………

Did Mizzou play Texas Tech this year - imagine their super fan Orr in the stands with this one? Yikes……..
Now were convinced he's a racist and anti-gay? Rough week for Orr.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about the monetary loss. I think there are coaches out there like Belichick and Tom Coughlan that will be all over this kid if he is the right fit for the team.

I believe it becomes a sort of a tie-breaker like any other personality trait (Think Keyshawn Johnson circa 2001, T.O. circa 2005, and Albert Hanesworth, post Tennessee). There are a number of coaches who won't even mention it publically, because it has nothing to do with being a football player. Other coaches and GMs will say the right thing publicly, but won't necessarily want to invite the potential into the locker room, all things being equal. Still others will mentally take him off the draft board entirely. All three types of player personnel officials however won't hesitate to cut Sam once the distraction outweighs his production on Sunday. Questions will abound at that point, regardless of publicly stated justification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom