OT: Melo is sooo dumb | The Boneyard

OT: Melo is sooo dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Calls Lin's contract ridiculous.

Granted he's right, and yes Lin will probably end up in Houston, but that probably isn't the best thing to say about someone who could still potentially be your teammate.

Between that, fire extinguisher-gate, and the Jason Kidd DUI, Knicks fans have to feel good about their team's veteran leadership heading into next season.

Reaction Score
It seemed he was calling the structure of the deal ridiculous, which it is.

Reaction Score
It seemed he was calling the structure of the deal ridiculous, which it is.

There's nothing wrong with the structure of the deal. It's a rule that helps the Knicks match, otherwise they'd lose Lin like Arenas & Boozer.

Carmelo was calling out the idea of Lin getting paid 15 million in a year, but from Lin's perspective it's no different than getting 8 million a year. I don't think 8 million a year is too much considering Fields got 7 million a year minus the potential commercial appeal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calls Lin's contract ridiculous.

Granted he's right, and yes Lin will probably end up in Houston, but that probably isn't the best thing to say about someone who could still potentially be your teammate.

Melo runs the Knicks. He didn't want Lin back so Lin's not coming back.

Reaction Score
Melo is a joke, the Knicks are a joke and dolan is the biggest joke.

Must really suck to be a Knicks fan

Reaction Score
Melo is a joke, the Knicks are a joke and dolan is the biggest joke.

Must really suck to be a Knicks fan

yep you have no idea what its like being a Knicks fan, I dont know if I wanna see Dolan or Emmert die first

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Melo runs the Knicks. He didn't want Lin back so Lin's not coming back.

Very unfortunately, this

I don't think this is accurate. By all reports, the Knicks were going to match the deal until Lin and Houston conspired to re-do it for terms that made the third year so foolish that even the Knicks realized it was a bad deal. Just because they are an organization that has been defined by bad deals in the past decade, that doesn't mean they should keep repeating them. No matter how Melo feels about it, that is a terrible deal to match imo, and a recipe for disaster given the microscope Lin would be under if the Knicks did match it.

The Knicks themselves may well be the poster boy for "recipe for disaster," but in this situation--however it came about--I think they are doing the right thing. Simply put, there is no way that Lin could be worth it, once you figure in the luxury tax hit.

Reaction Score
Lin has such enormous potential to help the Knicks expoiit the Asian and Asian American markets that I don't believe for a second that money has anything to do with this. This was a basketball decision -- the Knicks are hiding behind money as an excuse.

Did 'Melo's team make the decision? Admittedly I don't know that, and my instinct could be wrong, but this is not about money -- this is about the team on the floor. Ask yourself why the Knicks never offered Lin a contract before the free agency period to see if he'd take an amount the Knicks were willing to live with if this was really about money.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lin has such enormous potential to help the Knicks expoiit the Asian and Asian American markets that I don't believe for a second that money has anything to do with this. This was a basketball decision -- the Knicks are hiding behind money as an excuse.

Did 'Melo's team make the decision? Admittedly I don't know that, and my instinct could be wrong, but this is not about money -- this is about the team on the floor. Ask yourself why the Knicks never offered Lin a contract before the free agency period to see if he'd take an amount the Knicks were willing to live with if this was really about money.

We can question the wisdom in the Knicks' decision to allow the league to set the market for Lin rather than locking him up beforehand themselves, but that's 20-20 hindsight. It was a strategy decision, good or bad. If they were truly set on keeping Lin, it's not the first time and certainly not the last that the Knicks had a poor business strategy. But to try to pinpoint one factor--e.g., Melo's wishes--ignores the multi-factored reality of most of these decisions.

Whatever the constellation of factors was, money was most certainly one of them; and there was obviously a tipping point beyond which the Knicks were not going to make the deal. The Asian marketing potential is just that--potential. At the numbers Lin was likely to cost them in the third year, they needed a lot more than potential. I'm not a salary cap whiz, but from what I understand Lin's $15M third year could cost the Knicks up to $50M additional in luxury tax payments alone, depending on whether they are serial offenders (as expected) and by how much they have exceeded the cap. In that scenario, the additional $6M that Lin snookered out of the deal could end up costing the Knicks more than $20M in penalties. That's a helluva lot of Linsanity jerseys.

Even so, I would not have been shocked if Dolan took the chance. I think the final straw was the sense of betrayal, that Lin went behind the Knicks' back and conspired with Houston to really exploit the Knicks with the poison pill. Whatever the reason, I think it was the right decision. At those numbers, you can't justify the risk imo. In order to make up the difference with marketing opportunities, you would have feel pretty much guaranteed that Lin would play well enough to earn time on the floor to generate the exposure needed to sell the merchandise and the tickets. He simply does not have the track record on which anyone can say that's a safe bet. And knowing all too well how viciously the pressures of the expectations generated by a weighty contract can cause players to crumble, I would not be very sanguine about a happy ending to the Jeremy Lin story if the Knicks did match the terms offered by Houston.

As an aside, I also would not be shocked to learn that, when he boarded the plane for Las Vegas to re-do the Houston offer sheet, Lin realized--and hoped--that there was a very good chance that the Knicks would not match the new terms. He will have a lot less pressure in Houston than he would have in New York, especially after all this drama. I realize that he played and thrived under some pretty intense pressure last season, but by any standard that's a small sample size, and I'm not sure that even he is confident that it will be representative of his future performance.

Reaction Score
Even so, I would not have been shocked if Dolan took the chance. I think the final straw was the sense of betrayal, that Lin went behind the Knicks' back and conspired with Houston to really exploit the Knicks with the poison pill.

I'm sorry, but that's absurd. The Knicks never offered Lin a contract. Any contract. How in the world can you write that they were betrayed when he was offered one.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lin did what he had to do. He didn't need to be a Harvard grad to realize playing with Melo would have been a waste of his talents as well as detrimental to his career.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but that's absurd. The Knicks never offered Lin a contract. Any contract. How in the world can you write that they were betrayed when he was offered one.
You're conflating the two Houston offers and ignoring what happened in between:
  • Houston made an offer for four years, with three guaranteed at $19.8M, approximately $9M of which was to be paid in the third year.
  • The Knicks said that they would match that offer.
  • Before the Knicks were presented with that offer, Lin flew to Las Vegas to meet with Houston and re-do the offer for a higher guarantee in the third year, essentially tripling the cost to the Knicks.

Granted, the Knicks were foolish to tip their hand before being presented with the offer sheet, and Lin ultimately made a better business deal for himself on paper. But even though Dolan is a fool, I can understand how he could feel betrayed in this scenario. Whether or not the Knicks were foolish, there is no way to describe what Houston did as anything other than trying to stick it to the Knicks and make it suicidal for them to keep Lin. And Lin conspired with them to make that happen. He guaranteed himself more money in the process, and there's nothing wrong with that. But he had to know that he was also increasing the likelihood that the Knicks did not match. As I said above, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason was because he wasn't confident in his ability to succeed in New York.

Reaction Score
Lin did what he had to do. He didn't need to be a Harvard grad to realize playing with Melo would have been a waste of his talents as well as detrimental to his career.

yep playing with the scrubs they have in Houston would be a better option, what can you say Melo is as evil as Adolf Hitler

Reaction Score
You're conflating the two Houston offers and ignoring what happened in between:
  • Houston made an offer for four years, with three guaranteed at $19.8M, approximately $9M of which was to be paid in the third year.
  • The Knicks said that they would match that offer.
  • Before the Knicks were presented with that offer, Lin flew to Las Vegas to meet with Houston and re-do the offer for a higher guarantee in the third year, essentially tripling the cost to the Knicks.

Granted, the Knicks were foolish to tip their hand before being presented with the offer sheet, and Lin ultimately made a better business deal for himself on paper. But even though Dolan is a fool, I can understand how he could feel betrayed in this scenario. Whether or not the Knicks were foolish, there is no way to describe what Houston did as anything other than trying to stick it to the Knicks and make it suicidal for them to keep Lin. And Lin conspired with them to make that happen. He guaranteed himself more money in the process, and there's nothing wrong with that. But he had to know that he was also increasing the likelihood that the Knicks did not match. As I said above, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason was because he wasn't confident in his ability to succeed in New York.

And what exactly was Lin supposed to do? If he was told "the old unsighed offer is off the table because it doesn't get us anywhere -- here is what we're willing to do now" what does he do? Sign no offer sheet and hope the Knicks offer him something, which they haven't yet? Throw that amount of money out the window by telling them "no, I want the Knicks to be able to match" and hope someone pays him money?

There is no way for a player to be loyal to an existing team if the existing team doesn't make him an offer. That is like being loyal to a girlfriend who won't go out with you.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And what exactly was Lin supposed to do? If he was told "the old unsighed offer is off the table because it doesn't get us anywhere -- here is what we're willing to do now" what does he do? Sign no offer sheet and hope the Knicks offer him something, which they haven't yet? Throw that amount of money out the window by telling them "no, I want the Knicks to be able to match" and hope someone pays him money?

There is no way for a player to be loyal to an existing team if the existing team doesn't make him an offer. That is like being loyal to a girlfriend who won't go out with you.
By all reports, the first offer sheet was signed. It was binding on Lin and the Rockets if the Knicks did not match it. Also by all reports, the Knicks told Lin that they would match the offer and that they were simply waiting to be presented with it. Lin then went and shared that information with the Rockets, and the two of them conspired to re-do the offer as it is now before presenting it to the Knicks. In other words, the Knicks never had a chance to match the first offer because it was never -presented to them.

Please let me know if you are aware of any facts that contradict any of that. I have not seen any source, any where, suggest that the Rockets somehow took the first offer off the table, or that they were even able to do so without Lin's agreement to re-do it. Where are you getting that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom