OT Lawson Traded to DC | The Boneyard

OT Lawson Traded to DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.wnba.com/sun/sun_receive_bentley__trade_2014_03_12.html

Maybe this isn't the complete statement but wouldn't it be customary to acknowledge the traded player and thank them for their contributions? Especially when then departing player is a former-Olympian, renowned broadcaster and someone who gave it her all when healthy?

Interesting this reunites Lawson with Thibault.

I find the "people who want to be here" comment possibly the most telling:

Donovan: "At the end of the day, we want people who want to be here, want to buy into the program and who want to help us achieve our goal of bringing a WNBA championship to Connecticut.”

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
How long will we suffer Donovan?
My reaction as well to that quote! I find that gets used a lot by coaches that no one wants to play for and usually means they end up with the greediest or the most desperate (as in please give me a job) players in their league.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Well hopefully Kara will be a lot happier :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kara went to West Springfield HS in the DC suburbs, so she's going home. I can understand Mike T. wanting her. Best wishes to her.

For some reason, I'm not comfortable with Donovan.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Definitely expected, but sad nonetheless. I hope Kara realizes how much the Sun fans love her and appreciated her efforts. For much of the UConn-Sun fanbase she's probably the first Tennessee player they ever routed for. An accomplished player, a generous and active citizen, and one of the best sportscasters in the business. She'll be greatly missed.

June 5th at the Sun... Kara Lawson appreciation night (decidedly unofficial).

PS- Looks like Renee gets her #20 back, if she sticks around.

Reaction Score

Maybe this isn't the complete statement but wouldn't it be customary to acknowledge the traded player and thank them for their contributions? Especially when then departing player is a former-Olympian, renowned broadcaster and someone who gave it her all when healthy?

I think she'll add significantly to Washington's play: stability, experience, court sense.
She's better off there than with the Sun in a major rebuilding mode.

Reaction Score
Donovan has done something Thibault never has: coached a team to a WNBA championship.

Reaction Score
I still hope Shoni get drafted by the Mystics. Lawson can be her mentor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Donovan has done something Thibault never has: coached a team to a WNBA championship.
And yet Thibault is still a vastly better coach. Sometimes it is only about personnel.

Reaction Score
Will definitely miss Kara . Her energy level was great when she was playing healthy.Also greatly respect her basketball analysis. I wonder how many unhappy players we are destined to lose. Losing Mike T was not the best choice of Sun management, but as the saying goes...it is what it is. The future will be an interesting trip for us Sun fans.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Phoenix traded away the 9th pick to Indiana. I was really hoping to see Hartley drafted by the Mercury but that's not going to happen.

Is the 9th pick and Lynetta Kizer equal to Erin Phillips?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score

I find the "people who want to be here" comment possibly the most telling:

Donovan: "At the end of the day, we want people who want to be here, want to buy into the program and who want to help us achieve our goal of bringing a WNBA championship to Connecticut.”
Agreed. It's been mentioned several times that Tina has not been overly happy (which I hope is not the case). Hopefully they don't feel the same way about her.

Reaction Score
Phoenix traded away the 9th pick to Indiana. I was really hoping to see Hartley drafted by the Mercury but that's not going to happen.

Is the 9th pick and Lynetta Kizer equal to Erin Phillips?

No.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I didn’t like Sun coach Anne Donovan’s comment about the Lawson trade….

"At the end of the day, we want people who want to be here, want to buy into the program and who want to help us achieve our goal of bringing a WNBA championship to Connecticut."

Sort of a slap in Kara’s face, IMHO.

While it’s too early for the Sun to admit they made a huge mistake with their coaching change, it’s obvious to the rest of us that the Sun took a giant step back from that WNBA Championship goal Donovan refers to when they hired her a year ago.

Reaction Score
ocoandasoc , I agree I didn't like Donovan's comments about Kara Lawson! It just reinforces how I feel about Donovan as a person and a coach! If you have any class at all you say "thanks for your time with the Sun we appreciate all you brought to the team", and leave at that! Kara was hurt and her Father had a heart attack, she wasn't going to play anyway so she stayed in VA to help take care of him! Donovan is a classless, nasty person as well as a horrible coach!
When I e-mailed Sun GM about how lousy Donovan is, and anyone else would have been a better hire, he defended her with winning the Olympics and the WNBA title with Seattle! I answered I could have coached Catchings, Bird, Taurasi, Leslie, Thompson, Swopes, Lawson, Staley, et al to an Olympic title and Bird, Jackson, Cash, etc to an WNBA crown! Just stay out of their way and don't F up!
The other thing when Barbara Turner was a member of Seattle, she was playing in Europe off season and Donovan contacted her that WNBA training camp was starting and she better get back to USA or else! Turner broke her contract and flew back! At the end of the 2nd day, Donovan cut her saying she wasn't good enough! Turner was sued for breach of contract in Europe!
I hear the Sun players don't like her either compared to Mike Thibeault!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom