OT- Karl Malone is an idiot | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Karl Malone is an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
[Manic ="superjohn, post: 615170, member: 1522"]It's absurd, Stockton isn't even in the same stratosphere as Magic, Isiah Thomas was better than Stockton.[/quote]

Majic 5 rings . MVP of the finals. Rookie season plays center in the finals lights up Philly for something like 42 and 10. No comparison.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It's absurd, Stockton isn't even in the same stratosphere as Magic, Isiah Thomas was better than Stockton.

I would certainly agree that Stockton is not in the top 5 or 10, but he was a brilliant point guard, the best passer that I've seen play the game. He played the pick and roll to perfection and he was tough and quick for his size. It would have been interesting to see what he would have accomplished if he had played for a team with more resources. I would certainly agree that he was not the player that Magic was, but in an overall sense I'm not sure I would agree about Isiah Thomas. Thomas was a much better scorer and could be the "go to" guy, but Stockton made his team much better than they had any right to be.

Reaction Score
But seriously...how could you choose 5 from this list:

Wilt
Magic
MJ
Jerry West
Bird
Oscar
Kareem
Ewing
Shaq
David Robinson
Stockton
Bill Russell
LeBron
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Durant

Im sure there's many in forgetting, but to choose just 5 (or even 10) from the list of greats, is a near impossible task.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But seriously...how could you choose 5 from this list:

Wilt
Magic
MJ
Jerry West
Bird
Oscar
Kareem
Ewing
Shaq
David Robinson
Stockton
Bill Russell
LeBron
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Durant

Im sure there's many in forgetting, but to choose just 5 (or even 10) from the list of greats, is a near impossible task.

How is Durant even on that list?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The best ever or top 1 and 2 by position is interesting, particularly if you actually required that the players be grouped into the position that they actually played the most at. Magic would probably be consensus #1 at PG. Jordan at SG. Lebron at 3. I guess Duncan at 4, but as great as he has been, it seems like there should be someone better, but I can't think who that would be. Center: I am unfortunately old enough to remember Wilt playing live when I was young, but it the second half of his career. He was a force with his size, athleticism, and strength, but his lack of skill bothered me with all the raves he got. I'm sure it's just a matter of preference, but I thought Kareem was the much better basketball player. His sky hook was a wondrous thing....it is just amazing that no one has really been able to reproduce it. I still think of him as by far the best center. Definitely more of a finesse guy, but he did do well at every aspect of the game. Shaq is roughly similar to Wilt. Another regret I have is that Bill Walton could not stay healthy. As obnoxious as he can be as an announcer, he was just as fantastic in college and early in his NBA career. He had just great hands, amazing outlet passer, could use either hand around the basket, used the glass very well, very good rebounder, and very quick and coordinated for his size.

Reaction Score
I think it's too early to put LeBron in there. When all is said and done, probably. But not yet.

Why wait? No one better now or in the near future.

Anyway impossible to name a top 5, top 10 maybe but 5 no.

No Kobe love? I know he's a selfish SOB but damn he can play with the best of them and has rings. Even Duncan could be among the very best.

And Bird would start for any great team. Just impossible I tell you.

Reaction Score
Isiah Thomas is the second greatest point guard ever. Rings do count if youre the finals MVP.

Reaction Score
Co-sign the Isiah mentions, I'd take him over Stockton 24/7, 365.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I guess it depends whether you judge players on the totality of their career or their peak. LeBron's playing like something of a rich man's Larry Bird right now, as insane as that sounds. I just think it would be very difficult to leave him off given his versatility, but then again, it's almost equally as difficult to leave off Russell/Oscar/Wilt/etc.

whoah killar. Rich mans Larry Bird? Bird was absolutely filthy in his day. He was much more of a killer than Lebron is. Bird could rip your heart out like no other. French Lick style.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd defo take Magic over Isiah. Was that already mentioned?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Impossible to compare numbers in different eras. Wilt's 50 reb/gm? Just doesn't compute today.

Modern era I have Magic, Jordan, Bird, Duncan, Hakeem and/or Kareem.

Old school: Oscar, Cousy, West, Russell, Wilt

(though I heard Mikan was a beast, but I don't have any personal reference there...; want to put Maravich up there too)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Lebron is one of only 5 players to win at least 4 MVP awards and has been all NBA first team 7 times, do you really think there are 10 better players then him??

That's just because the NBA sucks today! ;D

Reaction Score
Kobe in the top five? Sorry, I don't see it. I'm not sure I'd have him in my top ten.
wow! really? where do you think tim duncan stands if he wins his 5th? im thinking he could possibly get in on the conversation.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Any Top 5 that does not include Bird, Magic, or Jordan loses credibility from the get go. Not only where they great players in their own right, they made everyone around them better on both ends of the court.

Kobe doesn't do that, in my opinion, especially on defense.

Reaction Score
Modern era I have Magic, Jordan, Bird, Duncan, Hakeem.

Okay give me: Kobe (pg its a stretch), Lebron SG (playing Magic), the Doctor (Bird), Garnett (Duncan) and Kareem. If you insist on Kareem I'll take Moses.

May not be the best of the best but I bet I would win some games and keep it close.

Reaction Score
whoah killar. Rich mans Larry Bird? Bird was absolutely filthy in his day. He was much more of a killer than Lebron is. Bird could rip your heart out like no other. French Lick style.

I'm very aware of how good Bird was - I have him in my top 5/6 all-time. But check out James, this year, compared to Bird, in his best season:

Larry - 28.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 6.6 apg, 52/43/88 shooting splits, .585 true shooting%, 26.5 PER

LBJ - 26.8 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 7.3 apg, 57/41/75 shooting splits, .640 true shooting%, 31.6 PER

Then, you would have to adjust for era/possessions per game. LBJ assisted on 36.4% of his teammates field goals and grabbed 13.1% of rebounds available. Bird assisted on 25.7% of his teammates field goals and grabbed 14.7% of rebounds available. Bird also turned it over more frequently despite a lower useage rate. LBJ is a better and more versatile defender than Bird ever was - he's a super-human who can play every single position at an all-world level and guard everybody from Derrick Rose to Kevin Durant to Kevin Garnett. "Was much more of a killer"? LeBron kills his opponents more b/c he's a better player than Bird was.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm very aware of how good Bird was - I have him in my top 5/6 all-time. But check out James, this year, compared to Bird, in his best season:

Larry - 28.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 6.6 apg, 52/43/88 shooting splits, .585 true shooting%, 26.5 PER

LBJ - 26.8 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 7.3 apg, 57/41/75 shooting splits, .640 true shooting%, 31.6 PER

Then, you would have to adjust for era/possessions per game. LBJ assisted on 36.4% of his teammates field goals and grabbed 13.1% of rebounds available. Bird assisted on 25.7% of his teammates field goals and grabbed 14.7% of rebounds available. Bird also turned it over more frequently despite a lower useage rate. LBJ is a better and more versatile defender than Bird ever was - he's a super-human who can play every single position at an all-world level and guard everybody from Derrick Rose to Kevin Durant to Kevin Garnett. "Was much more of a killer"? LeBron kills his opponents more b/c he's a better player than Bird was.

Yeah, but if I need a final shot, I'm taking Larry 100 out of 100 times. That's the most valuable skill in basketball. And that's what I mean by killer. Lebron doesn't do it for me mentally. Call me after 5 championships or so. He might develop it, I don't know. I've seen Lebron quit. Never Larry.

And numbers don't mean much in comparison, when they are against different sets of players, different styles of play in the League. I'm one of those who believe that the NBA was much better back then. Certainly played more physical. Literally, the statistics are damn near meaningless. As I said before, numbers can't really be compared in different eras....Wilt Chamberlin's don't hold up today. I would consider the Larry Magic era of the 80s far different than the 2000s era of Lebron. Jordan was kind of a bridge of those two eras. Teams like the Detroit Bad Boys couldn't exist now.

Reaction Score
I would go

MJ
Russell
Wilt
Magic
Kobe

LeBron will ultimately bump Magic

Big O, Hakeem, Bird, Kareem in next group

Reaction Score
Yeah, but if I need a final shot, I'm taking Larry 100 out of 100 times. That's the most valuable skill in basketball. And that's what I mean by killer. Lebron doesn't do it for me mentally. Call me after 5 championships or so. He might develop it, I don't know. I've seen Lebron quit. Never Larry.

And numbers don't mean much in comparison, when they are against different sets of players, different styles of play in the League. I'm one of those who believe that the NBA was much better back then. Certainly played more physical. Literally, the statistics are damn near meaningless. As I said before, numbers can't really be compared in different eras....Wilt Chamberlin's don't hold up today. I would consider the Larry Magic era of the 80s far different than the 2000s era of Lebron. Jordan was kind of a bridge of those two eras. Teams like the Detroit Bad Boys couldn't exist now.

Both are excellent choices to take a last shot. Hopefully you haven't fallen victim to the "LeBron doesn't have a clutch gene!" narrative the media has exposed us too, because the stats don't back it up. You've seen LeBron quit, really? I don't buy it, the guy is too much of a competitor. He's had some terrible series (Boston, 2010, Dallas, 2011), lapses in judgement, and difficulties with certain defenses, but I've never found him to check out mentally. Certain defenses, specifically in his Cleveland days, would load the strong side when he had the ball to ridiculous measures to the point it was difficult for him to find easy looks.

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to call you after five championships. Basketball is a team sport. If it were tennis, and players competed purely indidually, LeBron would have six or seven championships.

I suppose the league could be considered "better" back then in respect to the fact that it wasn't as dilluted, but it would be difficult to deny the talent pool is much wider nowadays. There are great teams now, just like there were great teams then. The San Antonio team LeBron's playing in the finals is a great team, as was the Thunder and Celtics teams he played last year. And he dominated them, too. Saying "statistics are damn near meaningless" is a bit of a cop out - obviously they don't tell the entire story, but you can't expect to have a discussion of this kind without responding to them, especially when they are adjusted for pace.

Reaction Score
Good argument intlzncster and 99and04.........both make very legit points for your sides. Lebron is a better overall athlete obviously and his skills are not to be questioned. But Larry had that special something, made everyone better no doubt especially in big games. Knew when to take it over or assist someone else in doing so not sure I see that in Lebron as consistently.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind, the Heat lost game one not seven. Lebron has plenty of time to be heroic.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Keep in mind, the Heat lost game one not seven. Lebron has plenty of time to be heroic.

Note: my comment had nothing to do with this year's series. Have been watching NHL, not NBA this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom