OT: It's easy to get it right when you write. | The Boneyard

OT: It's easy to get it right when you write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Before the real season begins, a few pointers on words that seem to be troublesome.

Let's start with nettlesome singular/plural issues:
  • One freshman, two or more freshmen (and freshman class).
  • One Husky, two or more Huskies.
Next, some often misspelled words: supersede (no "c"), minuscule, judgment, commitment (but committed), separate., and precede (but proceed).

Get out your dictionary: accept/except, lose/loose, there/their/they're, resign/re-sign,recreation/re-creation, and eager (hot to trot)/anxious (antsy).

Last, the most troublesome word(s) of all: its/it's. :mad: Some cling to the mistaken belief that you gotta have an apostrophe (') in there to denote possession. WRONG! Possession is indicated by its (NO apostrophe), whereas the apostrophe -- it's -- serves to shorten it is by using the apostrophe to pinch hit for the "i" in "is."

It's called a contraction and its purpose is to make for more peppy prose.

Enough already! Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Before the real season begins, a few pointers on words that seem to be troublesome.

Next, some often misspelled words: supersede (no "c"), minuscule, judgment, commitment (but committed), separate., and precede (but proceed).

Get out your dictionary: accept/except, lose/loose, there/their/they're, resign/re-sign,recreation/re-creation, and eager (hot to trot)/anxious (antsy).

Last, the most troublesome word(s) of all: its/it's. :mad: Some cling to the mistaken belief that you gotta have an apostrophe (') in there to denote possession. WRONG! Possession is indicated by its (NO apostrophe), whereas the apostrophe -- it's -- serves to shorten it is by using the apostrophe to pinch hit for the "i" in "is."

Ah! I see what you're doing here: getting out in front. Preempting perpetual problems in non-professional prose.

You are a dedicated and proactive professor. I appreciate it. ;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

A man (woman) is judged by how they speak, and how they write. The English language can be difficult to master unless one is willing to make a serious and lifelong commitment to do so. To people that learn English as a second language, it can be a nightmare. Words that sound alike, but mean totally different things, our spelling rules (such as you noted in your post), using words in the proper tense, etc.

I enjoy being a part of the boneyard. It allows me to stay informed on all things UConn women's basketball, and affords me the opportunity to "hone" my writing skills. Use it or lose it. If you don't write on a regular basis, your skills will deteriorate. The yard allows me to kill the proverbial "2 birds with 1 stone"

Thanks Kib. I can't speak for others on this, but I appreciate and enjoy your occasional lessons on the proper spelling and the proper use of troublesome
words we use from time to time. I misunderstood the proper use of its and it's. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I always like to be grammatically correct when I post a comment. And I'll say it if no one else will......thank God for "spell-check. I was never tops in my English classes when it came to spelling. I think we all enjoy sharing a thought or observation here. We want to use correct verbiage and structure when we do. We want our posts to be as close to perfect as we can. Enjoy your weekend. :)

Reaction Score

Excellent, Kibitzer. Now: how about a list of names and/or terms we'd like to see vanish like skill-set and resonate (more some other time; add yours). How about losing female boxers and maybe boxing itself? How about excusing certain types of athletes from live interviews ("Y'know?)? Would 20% of the electorate really miss The Donald? Would you? (Almost forgot. Could we know less about B. Griner's love life, ESPN?)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think I may intentionally misuse some of these words throughout the season just to see how long it takes before someone corrects me.

Reaction Score
Well worth keeping this list handy. Everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, but it's important to try to write correctly, IMHO.

Reaction Score

MY all time favorites---effect, affect---regardless, irregardless (can't find it in the dictionary that I use)- separate, is more difficult for those that had trouble in 7 grade spelling---seperate (wrong). Thank you Kibitzer, it is way off topic but a good refresher --not that I neaded it.
Contractions are not all that difficult if one remembers the root words. Except if you you use the on line dictionary for ain't, which has no real contraction for it just some made up contractions, but it is used extensively for isn't. How about addressing diss one???

Reaction Score
Well worth keeping this list handy. Everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, but it's important to try to write correctly, IMHO.
Only humans make mistakes or so I am told. Does that mean to be human is to make mistakes?? Rhetorical?

Reaction Score
Seriously, I have learned something from you today. I always thought "supercede" was correct. Below is a comment from this page http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/supercede that I find useful. Knowing that something "sits" above will help me remember (I hope).

Lynell Williams
·
Little Canada, Minnesota
They derive differently. "Supersede" is from super- (above) + sedere (sit), while "precede" is from prae (before) + cedere (go).
Did you consult with Nurse to find this Little Canada, Minnesota? But remember these Canadians study the British English which varies in spelling and sometimes meaning from American English. Mentioning Nurse keeps this from being and O. T.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
MY all time favorites---effect, affect---regardless, irregardless (can't find it in the dictionary that I use)- separate, is more difficult for those that had trouble in 7 grade spelling---seperate (wrong). Thank you Kibitzer, it is way off topic but a good refresher --not that I neaded it.
Contractions are not all that difficult if one remembers the root words. Except if you you use the on line dictionary for ain't, which has no real contraction for it just some made up contractions, but it is used extensively for isn't. How about addressing diss one???

I have received several queries like yours so perhaps in a few weeks (maybe during exams week, when there is a "break in the action") I'll try to address these pertinent questions. Thanks -- and stand by. :cool:

Reaction Score
I have received several queries like yours so perhaps in a few weeks (maybe during exams week, when there is a "break in the action") I'll try to address these pertinent questions. Thanks -- and stand by. :cool:
I truly like and accept positive corrections in grammar and spelling. But these area of serious need is punctuation. I know all the line ending periods, exclamation points, question marks and how to separate out a phrase or at least sometimes. Think about doing that --without offending. Thanks.

Reaction Score
A man (woman) is judged by how they speak, and how they write. The English language can be difficult to master unless one is willing to make a serious and lifelong commitment to do so. To people that learn English as a second language, it can be a nightmare. Words that sound alike, but mean totally different things, our spelling rules (such as you noted in your post), using words in the proper tense, etc.

I enjoy being a part of the boneyard. It allows me to stay informed on all things UConn women's basketball, and affords me the opportunity to "hone" my writing skills. Use it or lose it. If you don't write on a regular basis, your skills will deteriorate. The yard allows me to kill the proverbial "2 birds with 1 stone"

Thanks Kib. I can't speak for others on this, but I appreciate and enjoy your occasional lessons on the proper spelling and the proper use of troublesome
words we use from time to time. I misunderstood the proper use of its and it's. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I always like to be grammatically correct when I post a comment. And I'll say it if no one else will.thank God for "spell-check. I was never tops in my English classes when it came to spelling. I think we all enjoy sharing a thought or observation here. We want to use correct verbiage and structure when we do. We want our posts to be as close to perfect as we can. Enjoy your weekend. :)

Kib, how can you let this go with a "like"?! :eek: The first sentence...."A man (woman) is judged by how HE SPEAKS and how HE WRITES. :cool:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I hope to see those answers soon but just because someone can punctuate doesn't mean they are punctual. ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib, how can you let this go with a "like"?! :eek: The first sentence...."A man (woman) is judged by how HE SPEAKS and how HE WRITES. :cool:

I have learned to write "how s/he speaks" but I am uncertain if this has become OK'd by recognized language authorities.

Carnac

Reaction Score

OK Zakalex, since you didn't like my opening sentence, how about this one.....A person is judged by how they speak and how they write.

Reaction Score
I have learned to write "how s/he speaks" but I am uncertain if this has become OK'd by recognized language authorities.

Several ways to deal with this sticky gender issue. The traditional way was to use the male pronoun as generic. Certain words were always female (i.e., ships, nations, etc.). Your he/she, while a tad awkward is still in favor with some. A recent approach suggests using the gender terms alternately if you're unsure. None, I think, is entirely satisfactory. So man/female up.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As seriously as I try to avoid grammatical errors and misused words, the truth is we all slip up from time to time.

I don't get to twisted about message board posts, as long as the intent is understandable. As I have said before, it annoys the heck out of me when those sorts of errors creep into what I consider "formal" communications. Never-the-less, I too appreciate the reminders from Kib of the many quirks of our language.

Reaction Score
OK Zakalex, since you didn't like my opening sentence, how about this one.....A person is judged by how they speak and how they write.

Hi Carnac. We're not talking about gender here, we're talking about singular vs plural. Person is singular, people is plural. He/she is singular and they is plural. You join plural with plural and singular with singular, hence person with his/her and people with they. And no, I'm not an English major fanatic. It's just the way it's supposed to be and many of us learned it from our (not college-educated) parents. But you're definitely not alone with failing to make this distinction. I wouldn't intrude on this discussion at all except that the Boneyard grammarian, Kibitzer, overlooked this fairly obvious misuse in his "like" and I'm enough of a smartass to call him on it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hi Carnac. We're not talking about gender here, we're talking about singular vs plural. Person is singular, people is plural. He/she is singular and they is plural. You join plural with plural and singular with singular, hence person with his/her and people with they. And no, I'm not an English major fanatic. It's just the way it's supposed to be and many of us learned it from our (not college-educated) parents. But you're definitely not alone with failing to make this distinction. I wouldn't intrude on this discussion at all except that the Boneyard grammarian, Kibitzer, overlooked this fairly obvious misuse in his "like" and I'm enough of a smartass to call him on it.

Fair enough. You're right. I know better but got caught up in the moment.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Kib Card 34.JPG

Reaction Score
As seriously as I try to avoid grammatical errors and misused words, the truth is we all slip up from time to time.

I don't get to twisted about message board posts, as long as the intent is understandable. As I have said before, it annoys the heck out of me when those sorts of errors creep into what I consider "formal" communications. Never-the-less, I too appreciate the reminders from Kib of the many quirks of our language.

You did this on purpose just to see if we're awake, right. It's "too" not "to", do I win a prize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom