OT: I will say this about Merion/US Open..... | The Boneyard

OT: I will say this about Merion/US Open.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay I'm all for seeing these guys struggle in the rough and be asked to hit precise tee shots or pay, but the Par 3's were beyond STUPID........I don't care to see these guys have trouble getting to the 17th because they can't reach it........265 into the wind is ridiculous.....2 others at 229 (but played up to 246) and also 248....? Dumb!!!!

I like the 13th where even the best player can occasionally find it hard to hit a 98-121 shot over a huge lipped trap.......and I like the 229 year Par 3 because many can hit 4-5 iron that far or else the lesser hitters can fire a hybrid up there but it's a challenge to get it close. I want to see the 17th somewhere between 190-230 but not at all interested in seeing crappy shots at 260 plus.......Add a 530 yard 18th there was little hope of any drama quite honestly so while Merion did kind of "win" I though it also lost because of lack of hope for anyone to hit a shot to tie...........

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Phil birdied 18 on Friday. He could have birdied 18 on Sunday but didn't put his drive in the fairway.

Reaction Score
Phil birdied 18 on Friday. He could have birdied 18 on Sunday but didn't put his drive in the fairway.

I could have birdied it on Friday too if I hit a 375 yard drive dead snots in the middle and a 152 yard PW to 3 feet but I didn't.........and neither did ANYONE playing the last 2 days on 18. While I like hard holes I hate impossible!! Rose did come close but even he said 2 of his best shots all week!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I could have birdied it on Friday too if I hit a 375 yard drive dead snots in the middle and a 152 yard PW to 3 feet but I didn't.........and neither did ANYONE playing the last 2 days on 18. While I like hard holes I hate impossible!! Rose did come close but even he said 2 of his best shots all week!

It could have been done. Phil could have made his putt on 16. I love the open because it's the one week of the year where these guys get abused by the course. The course forces them to play ridiculously well to contend.

Thursday I'll watch some journeyman put up a 62. I prefer last weekend.

Reaction Score
US Open is a gimmick. Open Championship is real golf, no gimmicks. Even Augusta decided it had to "Tiger proof" it even though that's no longer relevant.

Reaction Score
US Open is a gimmick. Open Championship is real golf, no gimmicks. Even Augusta decided it had to "Tiger proof" it even though that's no longer relevant.

US Open is not always a gimmick......Shinnecock is not a gimmick and neither are Pebble or Oakmont........while I love The Open also there are times they can blast it all over the place and still make up some numbers....the strategically placed bunkers could be called gimmicky over there and the weather makes it fun too.........

I like what they do with our Open although they were a bit extreme only on the Par 4's this week and the 18th......the rest was golf the way it should be for those guys. Didn't need 7900 yards to make them sweat!!

Reaction Score
It could have been done. Phil could have made his putt on 16. I love the open because it's the one week of the year where these guys get abused by the course. The course forces them to play ridiculously well to contend.

Thursday I'll watch some journeyman put up a 62. I prefer last weekend.

I totally agree with you there.....again the only qualm were the long 3's especially yesterday at 17 where you would like to see these guys shine when that time comes and also the 18th.........2 days the absolute best golfers did not birdie that hole.......If it was in the middle it would be fun, but to take all the drama out with the impossible just sucked........and I don't even care for Phil!

No matter Justin Rose outlasted everyone and is well deserved and a great guy.........and he kept his word for the Travelers which others have not after w W.........

Reaction Score
I say move to a straight 10 course rotation

Pebble
Oakmont
Shinnecok
Medinah
Southern Hills
Oakland Hills
Hazeltine
Brookline
Congressional
Winged Foot

I had to bump Merion, Torrey, Olympic and Bethpage, all deserving

Don't like some of these new

US Open is not always a gimmick......Shinnecock is not a gimmick and neither are Pebble or Oakmont........while I love The Open also there are times they can blast it all over the place and still make up some numbers....the strategically placed bunkers could be called gimmicky over there and the weather makes it fun too.........

I like what they do with our Open although they were a bit extreme only on the Par 4's this week and the 18th......the rest was golf the way it should be for those guys. Didn't need 7900 yards to make them sweat!!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
the par 3s played a combined .920 over per round. The 18th and 5th played a combined 1.410. The drama at the end was watching the blow ups Sergio style

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No matter Justin Rose outlasted everyone and is well deserved and a great guy.........and he kept his word for the Travelers which others have not after w W.........

I agree. What about that little chump Mediate who didn't keep his word after coming in 2nd?

Reaction Score
I agree. What about that little chump Mediate who didn't keep his word after coming in 2nd?
Cheap shot
Rocco was in an 18 hole playoff on Monday and was in his mid-forties
I give him a pass

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
the par 3s played a combined .920 over per round. The 18th and 5th played a combined 1.410. The drama at the end was watching the blow ups Sergio style

The drama was Rose playing 18. Might have been out of order for some folks taste but it's harder to play that hole with a lead.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I totally agree with you there.....again the only qualm were the long 3's especially yesterday at 17 where you would like to see these guys shine when that time comes and also the 18th.........2 days the absolute best golfers did not birdie that hole.......If it was in the middle it would be fun, but to take all the drama out with the impossible just sucked........and I don't even care for Phil!

It just worked out that way because Phil butchered the easy par 3. If he were tied going into 17 and 18 there would have been plenty of drama. Could he make par to force a playoff - would he make a miracle birdie to win or would he blow up (well he did, just a little early)? It could have had plenty of drama.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I like the hard courses. Brings out the better, more strategical golfers. Still think the Golden Bear would have tore these guys apart.

Reaction Score
Yeah the Golden Bear would've torn Tiger apart!!:confused:

I mean these guys have players now, from everywhere who can straight out rip it and play the game. Europeans galore, South Africa, Far East, Aussies are real good.......the fields are so much deeper than in Jacks, Arnie, Watson, PLayer and Trevino days it's not close either. Courses are more demanding with length which makes it relative to technology.........in Tigers hayday vs Jack it's too close to really call but Tiger had more shots, won a greater percentage as he picked and chose his tourney's......his run was tremendous but if he doesn't win a few more majors, 2-3 even he doesn't need to even get to 18, he may not get past Jack in people's minds and that's fair!

Reaction Score

No way. Were some of the holes this week a bit excessive in their difficulty? Yes. But saying that a tournament that is played on the best courses in the country and attended by every top golfer in the world is "a gimmick" is kind of stupid. Just because you don't have guys out there shooting 63's doesn't make it a gimmick. And Augusta renovated their course to make it relevant once again for the field, not just Tiger. It was too short for alot of players, not just Woods.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cheap shot
Rocco was in an 18 hole playoff on Monday and was in his mid-forties
I give him a pass

I guess you're right. He did play a round of golf on his off day so of course he was shot for the rest of the week. You don't want to push it once you hit your forties.

Reaction Score
I guess you're right. He did play a round of golf on his off day so of course he was shot for the rest of the week. You don't want to push it once you hit your forties.
So going head to head with the greatest golfer of of this century,in arguably the greatest golf tournament in the world, in front of a riveted national audience, is just a round of golf?

Your not affiliated with The Travelers are you?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So going head to head with the greatest golfer of of this century,in arguably the greatest golf tournament in the world, in front of a riveted national audience, is just a round of golf?

Your not affiliated with The Travelers are you?

I'm affiliated with the Greater Hartford area. Why are the international players like Baker-Finch and Rose men of their word and a stiff like Rocco isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom