OT: Hey, why do you talk funny? | The Boneyard

OT: Hey, why do you talk funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Check out this website that shows maps of how people pronounce certain words or what words are used.

After moving to CT about 24 years ago, I came to say aunt differently, say sneaker, and go to "tag sales" (well, I don't really go, but I hear about them). It was interesting to see that pronouncing "aunt" with the "aw" sound is only done in New England.

Some people get annoyed by saying "super busy"--who would have thought that?

Link

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Interesting site. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Ominously missing is soda/pop? When I go to see family in the midwest (Ohio) they are always asking me if I want some pop. When I ask for soda they say "you mean pop?".

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ominously missing is soda/pop? When I go to see family in the midwest (Ohio) they are always asking me if I want some pop. When I ask for soda they say "you mean pop?".
Isn't that exactly the question (105) to which the link brings you?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Read first ten items. Northeast is a separate country.

Reaction Score
soda / pop/coke or Mr pipp
they forgot soda-pop calif
tonic. BOSTON
In western Ct accents are completely different than the rest ofNew England's
my wife gets hammered by the locals for carrying a pocket-book
(purse)
My personal favorite is Tennies although you hear sneakeroccasional
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
soda / pop/coke or Mr pipp
they forgot soda-pop calif
tonic. BOSTON
In western Ct accents are completely different than the rest ofNew England's
my wife gets hammered by the locals for carrying a pocket-book
(purse)
My personal favorite is Tennies although you hear sneakeroccasional

I was raised in FF County and I say pocketbook, a stick of butter = 1/4 lb. (for which I constantly got kidded by relatives in Hudson, NY). I also have a bit of an LI accent due to living with my aunt in Queens.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I wrote a thesis in college about rural American colloquialisms that defy regionalized speech patterns.

The phrase (typed phonetically here) "Ahm uh fixin uh git." Is pronounced virtually the same, and means exactly the same, in the woods of Maine as it does in the hollers of Tennessee and the middle of nowhere in Texas.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've looked at this, and I agree with only about 75% of it (althought I don't know the sample size that they polled). For instance, as a life-long CT resident, I know a heck of a lot more people that call it "Coke" than they do "soda". It always elicits the annoying question, "Is Pepsi okay?" Yes, of course it is, because Pepsi is a Coke too... ;)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I've looked at this, and I agree with only about 75% of it (althought I don't know the sample size that they polled). For instance, as a life-long CT resident, I know a heck of a lot more people that call it "Coke" than they do "soda". It always elicits the annoying question, "Is Pepsi okay?" Yes, of course it is, because Pepsi is a Coke too... ;)

One thing that I thought was an error was the garage sale vs. yard sale, when here it seems to be a "tag sale" which was not an option.

One that I did not see, but that took me some time to adjust to was that in the Midwest, people wear "tennis shoes," not "sneakers." This may have changed (I've lived here about 24 years now), but it was a pretty noticeable difference to me.

Reaction Score
Can't recall anyone in CT using coke instead of soda.

Don't really understand a couple of them
Q. 15: What are the possible different pronunciations of "Mary", "merry", and "marry"?
Q. 28: If you pronounce "cot" the same as "caught." How would they be pronounced differently (as apparently is the case in CT?)

Reaction Score
I noticed certain speech patterns in areas as diverse as Monroe Ct and the Midwest rural areas many years ago.
I named this language 4H

Reaction Score
When you go shopping do your groceries go in the shopping carriage or cart.
Az. people are bewildered by the former.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Can't recall anyone in CT using coke instead of soda.

Don't really understand a couple of them
Q. 15: What are the possible different pronunciations of "Mary", "merry", and "marry"?
Q. 28: If you pronounce "cot" the same as "caught." How would they be pronounced differently (as apparently is the case in CT?)

Cot is more like caht
Caught is more like cawt

Having grown up in SW CT and now living in Pgh, the three words that mark me as a furriner out here are water (waudder), drawer (drawr) and coffee (cawfee).

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Just for the record, most of us Canadians don't say "aboot". I wish we did though.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I wrote a thesis in college about rural American colloquialisms that defy regionalized speech patterns.

The phrase (typed phonetically here) "Ahm uh fixin uh git." Is pronounced virtually the same, and means exactly the same, in the woods of Maine as it does in the hollers of Tennessee and the middle of nowhere in Texas.

Are we just talking super, super, super basic English speech here? It's really just super lazy speech: centralized vowels and initial consonant deletion.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Bunch of New England people I've met at UConn (mostly New Hampshire I think) say "room" like "rum" and "roof" like "ruff"

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not sure why grinder wasn't an option for the sandwich question.

I thought the same thing. If you look into the data that they provide, grinder is heavily used in CT, but they didn't list it in their final composite score...

Reaction Score
Are we just talking super, super, super basic English speech here? It's really just super lazy speech: centralized vowels and initial consonant deletion.

Now you know why texting and tweeting caught on so quickly.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
...For instance, as a life-long CT resident, I know a heck of a lot more people that call it "Coke" than they do "soda". It always elicits the annoying question, "Is Pepsi okay?" Yes, of course it is, because Pepsi is a Coke too... ;)

You are confusing the coke vs soda usage (generic) with a coke vs. cola usage (flavor specific). Here in Atlanta, folks could say "I wanna coke" and really be looking for a Sprite. In the generic sense, they really want a soda, but call everything a coke.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are confusing the coke vs soda usage (generic) with a coke vs. cola usage (flavor specific). Here in Atlanta, folks could say "I wanna coke" and really be looking for a Sprite. In the generic sense, they really want a soda, but call everything a coke.

Well said! Yeah, I wouldn't hear anyone in CT refer to Sprite as "Coke". It was always the dark drinks (Pepsi, RC, Tab when it existed). The only exception seemed to be Dr. Pepper, whose taste was different enough to merit a call by name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom