OT: Google Chromecast | The Boneyard

OT: Google Chromecast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For anyone who likes to watch either videos from their computer on a TV or streaming video from a computer onto a TV via HDMI, I have to recommend snagging one of these.

For $35, you can stream any video that can play in a Google Chrome tab over your wireless network to your TV. This includes any video file that you drag and drop onto a Google Chrome tab, or any streaming video service like ESPN3 or NFL Game Rewind, just make it a tab like so:

oMjxvOK.jpg

No more bringing the laptop into the family room and plugging it into the TV via HDMI, I can just stream anything I want from my desktop in my office. Beats the hell out of a $100 Apple TV, too.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I watch a lot of tennis and soccer online which tends to only be available on ESPN3 or NBC sports extra and I'm really sick of watching it a crappy computer monitor or holding an iPad on my lap for hours. I've been thinking about getting a Chromecast for a while now so I can watch that stuff on my HDTVs, but this post sealed the deal. Just placed an order. Thanks for the post.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Alright I'm buying one. I hate pulling out the DVI to HDMI cable and I still don't have the sound working right... because it's to much of a hassel to deal with with the AV reciever.

Reaction Score
I assume the tv must also support wireless connectivity, correct?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I assume the tv must also support wireless connectivity, correct?

I don't know a lot about this product, but I doubt the tv needs wireless connectivity. The Chromecast connects to the TV; the dongle is what receives the wireless signal.

Reaction Score
I don't know a lot about this product, but I doubt the tv needs wireless connectivity. The Chromecast connects to the TV; the dongle is what receives the wireless signal.

This is correct, you plug in the chromecast to the TV the chrome cast connects to your wifi and you connect to your chromecast wifi.

You can also watch videos from apps on your phone to your TV.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is correct, you plug in the chromecast to the TV the chrome cast connects to your wifi and you connect to your chromecast wifi.

You can also watch videos from apps on your phone to your TV.

From iPad as well? Primarily asked because there were those times last season that I watched ESPNU games on ESPN 3 streamed via iPod.

Confirmation of this alone would make the sale.

Reaction Score
From iPad as well? Primarily asked because there were those times last season that I watched ESPNU games on ESPN 3 streamed via iPod.

I'm pretty sure yes with the iPad as well but the options are limited, on my IPhone I can only use it for netflix and youtube applications at the moment (which isn't surprising seeing as its an google I.E. andriod device.)

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that you can cast anything to your TV that you can access through the Chrome browser

Reaction Score

Currently only the YouTube, Netflix, and Huluplus apps on iOS support Chromecast. I don't know if WatchESPN will hop on the bandwagon, but it's up to the app developers to support it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Beats the hell out of a $100 Apple TV, too.

If $65 is a lot of money to you, then perhaps.

Otherwise, no, it doesn't.

It looks like Amazon is going to release something as well - given Amazon Prime, it might be worthwhile.

Reaction Score
If $65 is a lot of money to you, then perhaps.

Otherwise, no, it doesn't.

It looks like Amazon is going to release something as well - given Amazon Prime, it might be worthwhile.

If you have PCs, it does even if you factor in the price

The premise that something costs 1/3 as much and offers the same features is something that could only be looked down on by someone who would pay 2-3x as much as they should on a Macbook Pro, so I'm guessing you probably fit into that category.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It doesn't offer the same features - it's a very limited streaming device.

I keep it in a travel bag to watch Netflix at hotels, but it's too much of a kludge to replace the Roku or Atv at home.

Reaction Score
It doesn't offer the same features - it's a very limited streaming device.

I keep it in a travel bag to watch Netflix at hotels, but it's too much of a kludge to replace the Roku or Atv at home.

You can't stream video files from your computer to your Roku box like you can with a Chromecast (and it costs more). I can't stream NFL Game Rewind or NFL Sunday Ticket with a Roku box, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom