OT: God Shammgod, Eddie Jordan graduate | The Boneyard

OT: God Shammgod, Eddie Jordan graduate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Always good to see players who leave early head back to school to graduate...

God Shammgod graduates from Providence this weekend. He was a cautionary tale for a bit, but he seems to have the world by the tail again - he's got a degree, options at Providence and a seemingly bright future in coaching.

This one is a bit weird - Eddie Jordan is just now graduating from Rutgers. It's good to see, but the story has a sad ending. He's the only Rutgers' grad this weekend who doesn't get to leave....

Reaction Score
He still calls himself God? Kinda thought that after a few years he would go back to his original name.

Reaction Score
He still calls himself God? Kinda thought that after a few years he would go back to his original name.

That's his given name... or his original name, in any case.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

His legal name was always God Shammgod.

I think he used Shammgod Wells until he got to Providence and then he was forced to use his legal name.

Or something like that.

Reaction Score
Good for these guys. I heard about Jordan on the radio at some point this year and how some of the players were in class with him. Good for him!

Reaction Score
He had crazy talent. I remember some in-game windmill dunks and he had a crazy handle. Should have stayed one more year and worked on the jumper a it more. Those were some strong Providence teams, did they get to the elite 8 and lose to Arizona his last year? I think Croshere and Jamel Thomas were on those teams. 98?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He had crazy talent. I remember some in-game windmill dunks and he had a crazy handle. Should have stayed one more year and worked on the jumper a it more. Those were some strong Providence teams, did they get to the elite 8 and lose to Arizona his last year? I think Croshere and Jamel Thomas were on those teams. 98?

'97.

Croshere, Thomas, Derrick Brown, Shammgod and Rubin Garces.

Looking back, they probably should have been better for most of the season than they were - they were kind of a middling team until the tournament.

Reaction Score
I loved that team growing up - I was 9 and both my parents were PC alums so I didn't know any better. I saw the light somewhere towards the end of middle school.

Reaction Score
Ruben Garces is one of the biggest human beings I've ever met, dude is huge and chiseled. Loved that Providence team and they should have knocked off Arizona after storming back but Corey Wright, the last guy you wanted taking the big shot, took it. The performance by Shammgod is what made him leave and it was a huge mistake. Derrick "Flight" Brown was one of my favorites and I always liked Croshere even though he didn't come to Uconn like many thought.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They did try to get it to Brown, but Arizona defended pretty well and with the time left, it was going to be Wright. (He had time....would have been better off heading towards the bucket.)

The biggest problem PC had in that game wasn't the technical fouls or even the fact that Croshiere missed about the last 15 minutes of the game - it was Jamel Thomas thinking he was a superstar. Guy missed twenty shots by himself. (Well....maybe it was Croshiere missing the last 15 minutes.)

Reaction Score
They did try to get it to Brown, but Arizona defended pretty well and with the time left, it was going to be Wright.

The biggest problem PC had in that game wasn't the technical fouls or even the fact that Croshiere missed about the last 15 minutes of the game - it was Jamel Thomas thinking he was a superstar. Guy missed twenty shots by himself.
Yup Croshere fouling out was a killer especially because that team had zero depth, once Corey Wright got it I knew it was over. That team was one or two good bench guys away from winning it all.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
It sounds like you remember that game the way I remember Duke beating UConn in the final eight during the dream season - Tate George almost getting a steal, and then Laettner hitting the shot as time expired. Those huge-stake, painful-loss games leave a scar you can feel years later. And yeah, Garces was pushed, I remember that too.

Reaction Score
Friend of mine went to Providence at that time, told me a story of being in a freshman class with God Shammgod. The professor, a priest, addressed a question to "Mr. Shammgod", to which he responded, "No need for Mr., you can just call me God".

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

What are your top NCAA memories since that game? I bet they include UConn

Reaction Score
Graduation news is always relevant in college basketball, irrespective of stats and all. This is great news, especially for Jordan who was coaching a college team who hired him not knowing this little tidbit. He was a Man of his word and corrected the situation for his alma mater.

Reaction Score
For those incoming frosh, if God took 20 years to graduate, your. Plan on staying in college for 40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Always good to see players who leave early head back to school to graduate...

God Shammgod graduates from Providence this weekend. He was a cautionary tale for a bit, but he seems to have the world by the tail again - he's got a degree, options at Providence and a seemingly bright future in coaching.

This one is a bit weird - Eddie Jordan is just now graduating from Rutgers. It's good to see, but the story has a sad ending. He's the only Rutgers' grad this weekend who doesn't get to leave....

Of course, in fast Eddie's case, the graduation is not quite as pround an occasion when it occurs about a decade after he started claiming he had a degree on his resume.

Reaction Score
I rode God Shamgod and the Friars for some decent bank in the NCAA's that year. Sad when they lost, but I make cake. I wish Shamgod had listened to people and stayed another year.

PC may be a bad 2 letters on this board, but in the day they had a series of serious PG's - college level and above. I thought given the right situation Shamgod would have been another of note, instead hes just a footnote. But very happy to see that he may have arisen. I wish him well.

Reaction Score
It took him nearly 20 years to earn an undergraduate degree from Providence College. That is pretty sad on many fronts.
Better than never though. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99