OT: General knowledge test #463A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #463A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sitting between Fathers Day and Wimbledon, this is bound to be really good.

We don't allow research nor reprinting questions. Be good.

1..He(?) may be doing needlepoint and crocheting for his recently deceased teammate's memorial.

2..Amoebocytes in _________ _____ detect human diseases.

3..Who wrote Love Story, which starred..?

4..Napolean's quote about history penning?

5..The year we got the Statue of Liberty?

6..Ms. Buxby dates whom, but won't date..?

7..In 1579 what European lands in California?

8..Who gets credit for saying that all knowledge is recollection?

9.."You are the promised kiss of springtime, that makes the..?" And title?

10..Walter Matthau and Jill Clayburgh as sparring Justices in..?.

11..Law enforcement says, "No Sweat". Explain.

12..In 1873 who is fined 100 bucks for trying to vote?

13..In 1911 Italy takes the coast of Libya from..?

Reaction Score
1. Rosie Greer
3. Phillip Roth(who I know wrote Goodbye Columbus, but am guessing here)? The movie starred Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw
5. 1884
10. First Monday
12. Frederick Douglas
13. Spain

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
3. Erich Segal was the author. As VauConnFan notes, the movie starred Ryan and Ali.
9. "that makes the lonely winter seem long." The title of the song is "All the Things You Are." It was written by Jerome Kern. I know Kern was the composer only because I can still hear Tony Martin singing the song in Till the Clouds Roll By, a movie about Kern.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
3. Erich Segal was the author. Starred Ryan O'Neal and Ali MacGraw.
4. History is a set of agreed upon lies.
5. 1876
7. Sir Francis Drake
8. Plato

Reaction Score
1. Rosie Greer
3. Eric Segal -- Ryan O'Neal (Oliver) and Ali McGraw (Jenni) -- "Love means never having to say you're sorry"
5. 1885-6
10. First Monday
12. Susan B. Anthony (she never did pay the fine)

Reaction Score
1..Rosy Grier

3..Segal, Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw; bad writing, bad acting, but who could complain about watching ms. mcgraw

4..History is a lie, agreed upon

5..I don't know the year, but it could have been the Eiffel tower instead

7..Drake

11..Mr. Sweat escaped from Dannemora

12..Susan B. Anthony

13..Ottoman Empire

Reaction Score
1..Rosy Grier

3..Segal, Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw; bad writing, bad acting, but who could complain about watching ms. mcgraw

4..History is a lie, agreed upon

5..I don't know the year, but it could have been the Eiffel tower instead

7..Drake

11..Mr. Sweat escaped from Dannemora

12..Susan B. Anthony

13..Ottoman Empire

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
2..You are looking for a seabed crawler, with a helmet presentation of self.

6..My apologies for misspelling. You'll know what to do when I correct to "Ms. Buxley".

10..Two posters offer "First Monday". I can only conclude both walked out when the movie was half over.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
2. WAG, horseshoe crab?
6. She'll date Beetle, but, won't date Cosmo

geordi

Reaction Score
10..Two posters offer "First Monday". I can only conclude both walked out when the movie was half over.

I assume you want the complete title. 'First Monday in October'

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..As VAUC, K9, and hoop display their ken of the fine arts, we assume Rosey honors Merlin Olson.

2..Pinot is champion of WAGs, and I bet he knows that throwing it doesn't get you a ringer, or even a leaner.

3..Rbny heads a 4some, all looking at Ali McGraw, no doubt focused on her diction.

4..Using varying language, geordi, hoop & Pinot capture the general's intent.

5..VAUC & K9 are OK with 1885. On the other hand, geordi stood on the spot for a decade waiting...just waiting.

6..Pinot finally comes along with his relationship meter to disclose Beeatle has the inside track, and Killer has been scratched.
Pinot knows how that feels.

7..The correct answer is Sir Francis Drake. Geordi has it. Hoop just offers a barnyard animal.

8..From the Theory of Ideas, geordi recognizes there's nothing new under the sun.

9..See our resident Classics scholar who can't get Tony Martin out of his head. Try this replacement, rbny,
Molly on a trolley got a seat, by golly!

10..You SUPPOSE I want the complete title! Geordi, when did you ever see a question from me that asks for a fraction of a title? Sheesh!

11..Hoop identifies a guy on the lam, now all alone, cause partner Matt has been killed.

12..Susan B, whose lovely countenance may soon sit in our wallets. Knight, hoop & K9.

13..Hoop is alone with the symbolic beginning of the end for the Ottomans.

And speaking of hoop, he was so deadly certain of his answers that he gave them to us twice. What a guy!

geordi

Reaction Score
Wire: I just finished a book about James Garfield so I'm pretty sure of this. I believe you will find that the US started receiving pieces of the Statue of Liberty in 1876 as a gift from France in honor of the centennial. The head of the statue was displayed in the Philadelphia exposition in 1976. At the time, there was no consensus on having the US actually raise money for the base and it took 10 years for the funds to be raised. The Statue was in fact erected 10 years later. but we received the statue earlier than that.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Wire: I just finished a book about James Garfield so I'm pretty sure of this. I believe you will find that the US started receiving pieces of the Statue of Liberty in 1876 as a gift from France in honor of the centennial. The head of the statue was displayed in the Philadelphia exposition in 1976. At the time, there was no consensus on having the US actually raise money for the base and it took 10 years for the funds to be raised. The Statue was in fact erected 10 years later. but we received the statue earlier than that.

OK...now I think you wanted 1876 for the head display. There are those (not me) who would quibble that pieces do not a statue make.
I accept that you "carry the torch" for your position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom