OT: Gardening in New England | The Boneyard

OT: Gardening in New England

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I got my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc. in the ground on Memorial Day, and I am eagerly waiting for my first harvest.

The one thing I've never grown in the summer is salad greens - spinach, lettuce, etc. they usually bolt by late June.

Bottom line: I am looking for suggestions for salad greens that will endure the summer heat of Massachusetts.

Any suggestions?

Reaction Score
I've never tried but apparently Swiss Chard won't bolt in the heat and can survive frost.

Reaction Score
Lettuce and other cool weather crops are tough, especially if the weather is warmer than normal. I usually find that it's not worth it.
BTW, a teaspoon of Epsom salts mix into the soil around the drip line works magic on peppers.

Reaction Score
Here in central CT, we plant black seeded simpson lettuce....it's doing really well right now and into July. Great for sandwiches...

Red Winter kale also... Spinach does well early season. But yes, by late July...they're all done.

Reaction Score
I have kale and Swiss chard and I've already reaped a lot. My sister grows Bibb lettuce and has good results.

I love my tomatoes and still have 2 qts canned from last year on my shelf. Can't wait for the fresh ones coming soon.

Other than that? I've have a range of success with cukes, zucchini, beans, pumpkins, corn, watermelon, all sorts of hot peppers (not very hot, think its the climate). I'm growing Brussels sprouts for the first time this year so we will see.

Reaction Score
I got my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc. in the ground on Memorial Day, and I am eagerly waiting for my first harvest.

The one thing I've never grown in the summer is salad greens - spinach, lettuce, etc. they usually bolt by late June.

Bottom line: I am looking for suggestions for salad greens that will endure the summer heat of Massachusetts.

Any suggestions?

Try;
Malabar Spinach
Purslane
Callaloo
Our family always used Dandelion greens as a bitter in salads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors