ot - Garden hose | The Boneyard

ot - Garden hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After 20+ yeas, my garden hose has finally cr@pped-out. Time to replace. It has been bent, squashed, twisted, punctured and krinkled. The end fittings rusted out, and I tried to replace - didn't work too well.

So what is the collective wisdom, or at least experience, here? Rubber or plastic? Does knrinkle-free really work? and better than non-krinkle? Is the Craftsman life-time guarantee really lifetime? Brand names worth anything?? 5/8" diameter? etc?

And are those hose-roller gizmos that my wife seems to adore, or is at least fascinated by, really work after a month or 30 rolls, whichever comes first??

Reaction Score

NOT this one......yike. They work great for a while then BURST......

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After 20+ yeas, my garden hose has finally cr@pped-out. Time to replace. It has been bent, squashed, twisted, punctured and krinkled. The end fittings rusted out, and I tried to replace - didn't work too well.

So what is the collective wisdom, or at least experience, here? Rubber or plastic? Does knrinkle-free really work? and better than non-krinkle? Is the Craftsman life-time guarantee really lifetime? Brand names worth anything?? 5/8" diameter? etc?

And are those hose-roller gizmos that my wife seems to adore, or is at least fascinated by, really work after a month or 30 rolls, whichever comes first??

Newly in love, I paid way too much at Terrain in Westport for a lightweight purple (they call it "eggplant") Water Right hose endorsed by Martha Stewart last summer. It really is a great hose, and I'm thankful that it need serve only a modestly sized city lot. I'm sure there are Fairfield County-types who buy multiples of these and chain them together to great effect.

I wonder about the expandable X-hose, but it seems to average about 2.5 stars on Amazon.

Reaction Score
My brother in law bought one of those krinkle hoses that take up almost no space and expand when filled with water. It sprung a leak almost immediately. He brought it back to Home Depot and they guy laughed, saying everyone was returning them - they're junk.

I use Craftsman rubber hoses. The rubber stays more flexible than plastic, particularly as it ages.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have a nice black recycled rubber hose...awesome hose. Have no idea where I got it.

I have a green non-kinkable hose in front. Awesome hose. Not sure that one came from, either.

I inherited another winning green hose with a red strip running its length. Haven't used it much yet but it looks awesome.

Reaction Score
The more expensive heavy duty hoses from Home Depot etc. last forever.

Basically, if you have a choice to buy a hose for $20, $30 or $40 just go with the $40 one. Otherwise you'll just be buying another hose next year. If you are a goober like some of the guys above, you could put more thought into it, but its just a *king hose.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've had very good luck with the Swan brand. Home Depot has them I think, and possibly BJs. BJ's has some good prices on hoses during the season, but they may be gone by now.

Reaction Score
Do NOT get one of the expandable ones, in particular the crap that is at Target. Wife thought she was doing me a nice and went through 3 in a matter of 2 weeks. Splits and leaks throughout. Complete garbage. Stay old school with a good rubber hose.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I always find it funny when people ping the boneyard for consumer advice when its not a regional product/service.

Here are 95 different 25 foot hoses sorted by avg consumer rating. Amazon > Boneyard.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hoses are one of those things that you get what you pay for. 6 years ago, I was a new home owner and went cheap with an Ocean State Job Lot hose. It burst by the time the Summer/Fall season was out...I bought my house at the end of August! Got an unkinklable hose (colored black with brass couplings) from Home Depot and I haven't looked back. Don't waste your time with a 50 footer. 2 25 footers may cost a few duckets more, but they are more versatile. Also I do have a hose roller. I use it down near the pool where there is no place to put a hanger. It's about 5 years old and no complaints.

I will say this (and take it for what it's worth), I've had a bear of time with nozzles to the point that I avoid using one if at all possible. I can never get them to seal appropriately. That said, I do like the "As seen on TV" Water Jet. It claims to build the same pressure as a power washer. I didn't find it to be that exactly, but it cleans mildew off the deck and the baked-on grass off from under the lawnmower deck quite nicely.

Those expandable hoses look like they would work on a small patio, like off apartments or something.

Reaction Score
Hoses are one of those things that you get what you pay for. 6 years ago, I was a new home owner and went cheap with an Ocean State Job Lot hose. It burst by the time the Summer/Fall season was out...I bought my house at the end of August! Got an unkinklable hose (colored black with brass couplings) from Home Depot and I haven't looked back. Don't waste your time with a 50 footer. 2 25 footers may cost a few duckets more, but they are more versatile. Also I do have a hose roller. I use it down near the pool where there is no place to put a hanger. It's about 5 years old and no complaints.

I will say this (and take it for what it's worth), I've had a bear of time with nozzles to the point that I avoid using one if at all possible. I can never get them to seal appropriately. That said, I do like the "As seen on TV" Water Jet. It claims to build the same pressure as a power washer. I didn't find it to be that exactly, but it cleans mildew off the deck and the baked-on grass off from under the lawnmower deck quite nicely.

Those expandable hoses look like they would work on a small patio, like off apartments or something.

Agreed on the Water Jet. It is a surprisingly good product for a lot of jobs. It cleans screens on porches etc very well.

The only really good sprayer nozzles are the solid brass ones. I have to take mine off the hose every time I use it because the lawn and pool service guys steal them repeatedly.

You are dead on as far as the heavy duty Home Depot hoses as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only really good sprayer nozzles are the solid brass ones. I have to take mine off the hose every time I use it because the lawn and pool service guys steal them repeatedly.
Wow, I think you have solved a mystery that has vexed me for almost two years now. Had one of those solid brass ones that I grabbed from my uncle's house after he passed and used it for years, and then one day it was gone. I have spent countless hours searching for it in all the places I thought I might have put it, and in the meantime have gone through a handful of crappy plastic ones. I had no idea that people grab them, but that would explain where mine went.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Had one of those solid brass ones that I grabbed from my uncle's house after he passed and used it for years

Vulture

Reaction Score
Go to Costco or BJ's and you can get a heavy duty 100' hose for $20-25. Bought mine at Costco 2 years ago and still working fine. Had an expandable hose on my boat many years ago (they aren't new). Used it once in Newport and it exploded. Like others have said don't do Ocean State or buy any of the cheap hoses around. For another $10 you can get a good hose that will last many years.

Reaction Score
Speaking of which, what about those hose roll up majigees. I keep putting buying one off but with a 50' hose its getting in the way of mowing, yard work and even my bbqs. Its just a pain in the ass to keep putting it away.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Vulture
I was the executor of his estate. He is one of very few people for whom I would be willing to do that. Miserable process that really brings out the worst in people, and one of the most thankless tasks, ever.

As I type, I am being cooled by the circa 1910 Westinghouse brass fan that I also grabbed. Best. Fan. Ever.

Reaction Score
My interest in this thread is unusually high given my innate interest in hoses coupled to the fact that I rent. But, i must say having now watched several reviews of collapsible hoses they will not get my business, I say good day sir!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was expecting someone to say they prefer soft nimble hoes. I'm just glad no one did!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I see those plastic hose roller thingys all over the place on trash days, I guess they break often. Agreed on the old school brass nozzle, one of those will last forever. I put one on a 15' marine hose for the back deck, great combo. the marine hoses (got it at Sears) never kink and remain extremely flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom