OT: For tennis fans | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: For tennis fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The question now is does he hang around or retire near the top?

While Venus' downfall has a more dramatic antecedent, both players, so far, are saying they are happy people and will continue so long as tennis, and the work involved, fits with that happiness.
They don't, as yet. embarrass themselves, unlike when Unitas left Baltimore for the west coast.

Reaction Score
While Venus' downfall has a more dramatic antecedent, both players, so far, are saying they are happy people and will continue so long as tennis, and the work involved, fits with that happiness.
They don't, as yet. embarrass themselves, unlike when Unitas left Baltimore for the west coast.

The saddest for me was when routine flyballs started baffling Willie Mays.

Reaction Score
In an alternate universe somewhere, Geno is Sloane's coach.

"You have to figure out how to take the good in someone and overlook the fact they are a dope. Sometimes God gives you everything; great speed, a powerful forehand, and a 115mph serve. But he forgets to put the brain matter in there." :D

Sloane does have a few technical problems, e.g. mediocre footwork around the court that increases her unforced error rate, a weak second serve, and a weak second serve return. Those can be fixed with proper coaching. The harder bits to fix are mental: she knows very little of point construction at this point in her career. More importantly, she has trouble maintaining her play style as matches get more tense. When things are tough, she reverts to a hyper-defensive play style (not so apparent in this Serena match, but very common in matches she truly thinks she should win).

The mental things can also be fixed...but many tennis players fail to manage it. I'm rooting hard for Sloane and hope that she does fix them.

Then again, Sloane was playing Serena. As Mike Tyson famously iterated, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Ms Stephens possesses a unique enough name such that if all the predictions come true, she can be widely known and referred to by her first name.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Some notes:

-Giorgi's elimination was too bad. She's got some potential, and is, ahem, marketable.

-Serena double bagled Suarez-Navarro and figures to have a tough semifinal game with Li Na. Li has given Serena fits in many tough wins in Melbourne. If she wins, another Serena-Vika final, a replay of Cincy and last year's Open, seems likely.

-Federer is a player I've held in the utmost regard, but let's face it: if he'd beaten Robredo, Nadal would have handled him anyway. This is really too bad. I enjoyed 2004-2007 immensely, and I even enjoyed his comebacks (like to re-take Wimbledon and world #1 last year). I would love to see Fed pull a Sampras and win one last major before riding off into the sunset.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
While Gasquet and Ferrer are early in the 5th set on ESPN2, THE SISTERS ARE IN WARM-UPS ON THE tennis cHANNEL. likely YOU'LL GET THE SISTERS ON THE DEUCE WHEN THAT SINGLES MATCH ENDS.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And it's over in 2 sets. Second set stayed even until the Williams got the 1st break.
Then Venus had a poor service game to level things. Breaks were traded to become 6-6.
the sisters raced to a 5-0 lead in the tiebreak and finished things at 7-3.
As they sometimes are for big sister, the 2nd set was a comedown, after she was just ferocious in the first(6-1).
Tomorrow they play the #1 seed, the Italians Sara Errani & Roberta Vinci, who beat our women in Australia.
Serena has no singles until Friday.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Is it that Fed's game has gotten weaker, or that it has stayed the same and others have surpassed him? Seemed to me that he made some crucial mental errors int he first set, which was the only one I watched, esp hitting several volleys that he should have put away directly at the opponent and losing the points.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Another round, another Williams win, 6-3, 6-1.
Despite the #s, the 1st set went easier for Venus & Serena, in that their 1st service % was
high, so they had no trouble holding.
The 2nd set showed an expected difference between the sisters, as Venus twice had 1st serve problems and the Italians capitalized on her 2nd serve to cause deuce games, though when needed, Venus pulled it out.
Conversely, Venus is conspicuously better than li'l sis at the net. Venus is the more natural volleyer and mover from side to side. Serena is near static there and is a bit less proficient at reflexive strokes.
Together though, their power at the baseline meant that the Italians could not react fast enough
when either sister went right at them. Great time for us fans.

Reaction Score
On the sad side of news: the Bryan twins lost in 4-6 in the third in the semi's on their quest to be the first team in the open era to complete a calendar year Grand Slam.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Looking for all the world like a Djoker-Nadal championship match. Definitely worth a view; they've had some classics.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Serena in mortal combat:p with Na Li "not before 3:45", following the
Pannetta/Azaranka contest.

Then "after suitable rest", Serena stumbles back to the court with her more
rested big sis to take on 2 Czechs in the semis.

Nothing else prominent in the day, though you super patriots:D may be interested in
a 12:30 kickoff of mixed doubles with an American, Abigail Spears.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Serena and Vika in the finals.

Bottom line, Serena is better, but Vika when she's consistent can beat Serena when she isn't. Barring that, I think Serena wants revenge for Cincinnati a few weeks ago. :).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The sisters doubles semi is on Tennis Channel, expected at @ 7:15.

Oops......they go down in straight sets. :(

I wonder how focused (or not) Serena was. She seemed very nervy in the last couple of games against Li Na, and it could be that she was a bit drained mentally, even with a short match. Just a quick turnaround - not easy.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Oops......they go down in straight sets. :(

I wonder how focused (or not) Serena was. She seemed very nervy in the last couple of games against Li Na, and it could be that she was a bit drained mentally, even with a short match. Just a quick turnaround - not easy.
I dont see how they do it... but I guess they're use to it (singles and doubles)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
One of the Czech players had just won the mixed doubles crown and parleyed that into
highly accomplished combating vs.our sisters. Actually the Czech ladies were phenomenal,
well guessing when to poach and when to hit down the alley. V & S looked better vs. the
Russians earlier, with Venus broken twice and Serena 4 times on Friday.
The added disappointment is the uncertainty of a future Venus appearance anywhere.

Anyway we fans have been blessed by their existence this last decade and a half.

Reaction Score
One of the Czech players had just won the mixed doubles crown and parleyed that into
highly accomplished combating vs.our sisters. Actually the Czech ladies were phenomenal,
well guessing when to poach and when to hit down the alley. V & S looked better vs. the
Russians earlier, with Venus broken twice and Serena 4 times on Friday.
The added disappointment is the uncertainty of a future Venus appearance anywhere.

Anyway we fans have been blessed by their existence this last decade and a half.

A tip of the hat to Richard Williams.
1. The pundits scoffed when he coached his daughters without having had any previous tennis experience; Supposedly, he was trying to accomplish something way over his head.
2. The pundits scoffed when he held his daughters out of junior tournaments in preparation for the professional tour.
3. The pundits scoffed when he predicted that both of his daughters would be Number 1 players and rule the tennis world.
4. The pundits scoffed when he boldly predicted that Serena would be better than Venus and would be the best on the WTA Tour; this when Serena was barely within the Top 100.
5. The pundits scoffed when he predicted All-Williams grand slam finals.

The pundits quit scoffing a long time ago and Richard Williams is well over ten years into his last laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom