OT: Fencing | The Boneyard

OT: Fencing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wish I was asking how much you think I could get for my 2013 65 inch samsung LED. Alas. I have to put in a fence. We have bear and deer in the yard on a regular basis. Most of neighborhood has split rail and we want to put more of a privacy wall in back. All wood, relatively simple, rustic.

Should I:

1. Just pay premium fence company to handle everything soup to nuts
2. Buy fence from Home Depot or Lowes and then have my crack team of South/Central Americans put it in

I was quoted around 80 90 bucks per post for installation. Then there are materials. Looking for cedar split or round rail.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I thought it was going to be about Rutgers' one (actually one half) national title.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I thought this was going to be about what to do with stolen goods.

Especially when he started talking about the 65" tv he wanted to sell.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Deer can jump fairly high. My neighbor's five foot fence was no problem for them. On the other hand bears are pretty strong and smart. Split rail might keep horses and cattle in. You want to keep creatures out. There is probably not a cheap solution unless you do the work yourself. Google fences.

Reaction Score
The bears that hit my yard will tear down the fence to get to the bird food we offer to our flying friends. Fences aren't cheap but they can bring a certain beauty to the yard. I kind of like the bears, deer, foxes, turkeys. Had a bobcat Saturday looking to feed on the rabbits who hang out and earlier this spring had an actual "weasel" come flying out of the woods and grab a bird on our hill in back. Swear I couldn't figure out what the hell it was until I took the NE wild life book out and damn, the little f''er was fast and efficient in his attack.

Keep the wildlife in your yard and buy a new Samsung for outdoors so you can watch it with the bears!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We had a bear in our yard once.

I almost sold the house.

I was sure it was a baby Kodiak bear or maybe a dirty polar bear, but the neighbor said it was "just" a black bear.

My yard is too big to put a fence around so now I make the ten-year old get the mail because I believe bears prefer more tender vittles.

As for the fence, you can either use Angie's List (meh) or go to HD/Lowes and have bids submitted through their preferred contractor lists.

Your 2013 television is worth $37. Put it up on the garage wall. You can watch it whenever your wife tells you to go outside and fix something.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
It's all good as long as we keep AJP and MW out of this thread...ah crap!

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The first night I slept in my cabin in the country, I was awoken by the noise of the entire cabin shaking. So, I grabbed a
broom and started to head out to the front deck, where the epicenter of this shaking seem to be. Just before I opened the door, a thought flashed through my sleepy brain: "Whatever was shaking this house was on my deck and all I had was
a f....... broom." So, I paused and then flipped on the outdoor light and scurried to a window. I caught a glimpse of this giant furry butt scooting down the front steps. The bear had been scratching himself on my cedar shakes. The next day I cleared out all of the underbrush so that I would have a clear view in any direction for at least fifty yards. And then I urinated along the entire back yard and property line. I urinate every spring and through the summer.
I feel that the bear will at least know I'm around and stay away from confrontation. Haven't seen him since.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I wish I was asking how much you think I could get for my 2013 65 inch samsung LED. Alas. I have to put in a fence. We have bear and deer in the yard on a regular basis. Most of neighborhood has split rail and we want to put more of a privacy wall in back. All wood, relatively simple, rustic.

Should I:

1. Just pay premium fence company to handle everything soup to nuts
2. Buy fence from Home Depot or Lowes and then have my crack team of South/Central Americans put it in

I was quoted around 80 90 bucks per post for installation. Then there are materials. Looking for cedar split or round rail.

Short of teak, there is not a single species of wood that has any life expectancy outside in the weather. There is no more old growth and the young trees that are harvested now don't have the density of cell structure. Plastic sags and grows algae on it. Looks great at first but requires a lot of cleaning to keep looking good.

I go with the cheapest wood panels and replace them when the rot gets excessive. I think it works out cheaper unless you like spending time maintaining things. Biggest problem for everyone is that they took all the good poisons out of pressure treated so its just a matter of time before the posts rot too.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I would go with the fence company who probably guarantees the fence. I will assume with Lowe's or Home Depot maybe there is a short term guarantee...and bear exempt.

We have an i/g pool with a split rail fence around the back yard that pre-dates the pool. So now we have to comply with pool safety building code. This increases the price. We did 2 quotes and they were very close.

Go with fence company. We are going with a guy who has been doing fencing for 20+ years over Durham Fence Co.

Reaction Score
tdrink said:
Short of teak, there is not a single species of wood that has any life expectancy outside in the weather. There is no more old growth and the young trees that are harvested now don't have the density of cell structure. Plastic sags and grows algae on it. Looks great at first but requires a lot of cleaning to keep looking good. I go with the cheapest wood panels and replace them when the rot gets excessive. I think it works out cheaper unless you like spending time maintaining things. Biggest problem for everyone is that they took all the good poisons out of pressure treated so its just a matter of time before the posts rot too.

Don't get plastic. Unless you also buy a power washer.

Reaction Score
The first night I slept in my cabin in the country, I was awoken by the noise of the entire cabin shaking. So, I grabbed a
broom and started to head out to the front deck, where the epicenter of this shaking seem to be. Just before I opened the door, a thought flashed through my sleepy brain: "Whatever was shaking this house was on my deck and all I had was
a f.. broom." So, I paused and then flipped on the outdoor light and scurried to a window. I caught a glimpse of this giant furry butt scooting down the front steps. The bear had been scratching himself on my cedar shakes. The next day I cleared out all of the underbrush so that I would have a clear view in any direction for at least fifty yards. And then I urinated along the entire back yard and property line. I urinate every spring and through the summer.
I feel that the bear will at least know I'm around and stay away from confrontation. Haven't seen him since.

Correct, I've not been back. Stinks too much around your place!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What I've learned on the yard today. Forget a good fence, there's no good wood left and plastic sucks and becomes a maintenance nightmare. Buy lots of beer and piss the bears away.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
SuperStores materials cheaper and not of same quality as what a fence contractor would use, such as a Cape Cod Rence C.o. and such.

I recommend Farmington Valley Fence

Where are you located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member