OT - Favorite childhood board game/activity | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Favorite childhood board game/activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Well, growing up before all those board games, we could play "ducks fly," or marbles on the dirt floor of the cabin, but mostly someone would read to us from "Oliver Twist" or "Great Expectations" until the tallow candle burned all the way down.
Considering that Parchesi was created in 500 A.D. you must be pretty old! Even Monopoly started in 1933. Hard to believe you grew up before ANY board games.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I was a Table Hockey fanatic. Played the first game with stationary men who just spun in a circle, and hit a marble. Graduated to sliding men with a wooden puck. I am proud to say I was undefeated at UConn, as most opponents couldn't figure out how I was beating them.

normal.png

Reaction Score
I was a Table Hockey fanatic. Played the first game with stationary men who just spun in a circle, and hit a marble. Graduated to sliding men with a wooden puck. I am proud to say I was undefeated at UConn, as most opponents couldn't figure out how I was beating them.

normal.png
I loved that game.

Reaction Score
Risk was a favorite board game when I was young. However, with my friends, the game was rarely played to completion. It seemed the unhappy party would create an "earthquake" that spelled the end of the game. Slot cars were also popular. Aurora HO scale. Chess as a late teen then Bridge in my 20's.

Reaction Score
Reno tony --- Chess was also one of my favorite games for some time. An older gentleman by the name of Wong who worked behind the cash register at the store on our block got me started and interested in the game. You could say I learned to play Chess from a Chinese checker.

Reaction Score
We played "Stretch", which involved throwing a jack knife at the opponent's feet and (s)he'd have to move his foot to that location. Sooner or later the loser would fall over. Also "Hit the Bat" where you would self-hit to an outfield. If someone caught it you would lose your turn. If someone fielded it (s)he'd have to bowl it in the street and try to hit your laid down bat, though if it bounced and you caught it you'd maintain your turn. We were street urchins in an upscale town (West Hartford). For board games I loved Clue because for some reason I usually won. Now with grandchildren it's endless Candyland....sigh.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I enjoyed Foosball as a young adult... it wasn't as popular when I was a child
images

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

normal.png
I also had this exact "Hockey night in Canada set" Loved it as well. Had that shot on goal from the right blue line down pat, followed by the "center jam it in" as needed.

CL82

Reaction Score
images
Started playing this at UConn. I still love it.

Reaction Score
Did you play stickball with a chalked in strike zone against a wall ? Also played stoop ball.
Well we painted a permanent box on the wall of the church garage parking lot. Broomhandle and tennis ball!!!!!

Reaction Score
Well we painted a permanent box on the wall of the church garage parking lot. Broomhandle and tennis ball!!!!!

We used chalk so you could settle disputes to some degree. Pennsylvania pinky was the ball of choice. Spalding hi bounce was the second choice

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
images
we changed the rules... if the Goalie scored it was 3 pts, back line 2pts and other guys 1pt. We had lines of people wanting to play so we had to make the games end faster

CL82

Reaction Score
we changed the rules... if the Goalie scored it was 3 pts, back line 2pts and other guys 1pt. We had lines of people wanting to play so we had to make the games end faster
That goalie shot was an awesome weapon! Used the back line to tip it to goalie and set it up.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That goalie shot was an awesome weapon! Used the back line to tip it to goalie and set it up.
for real... gotta make it roll off the back corner using the back guys and WHAM

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I could never get into Battleship... Operation was boring but a good challenge til you couldn't grab the funny bone then you quit

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Mancala was fun... didnt learn about this til I was an adult
images

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
We did something very much like Frodo's racing game, except we drew our track on the back of a leftover roll of wallpaper. We rolled a single die to determing the number of squares to move ahead. We used plastic horses, which we named after the famous horses of the forties and earlier; Citation, Coaltown, Whirlaway, Gallant Fox. In the summer, though, before we were old enough to play baseball, etc., we would mostly play hide and seek, kick the can, prisoner's base. The rules were very flexible, sort of like Calvin's and Hobbes' baseball games. Argumentation was the rule. There was also an extremely dopey game called "Mother may I?". And another called "Truth or Dare."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom