OT - DID YOU SEE THAT AUBURN FG RETURN?? | The Boneyard

OT - DID YOU SEE THAT AUBURN FG RETURN??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Oh my.

I am crossing my fingers that my alma mater (Mizzou) wins tonight and then beats Auburn in the SEC championship!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Greatest Iron Bowl I've ever seen.

I can't bring myself to care about who wins the Big XII Defector Bowl. Sorry, Sara. :(

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Hubby and I were OMG-ing and crying at the end of the game ... dear friend of ours, Auburn fan, passed away earlier this year. We had the privilege to watch the 2010 Iron Bowl with him. Somewhere, he's lifting a victory drink and cigar.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Shocked with the ending.

Questionable decisions by Saban cost them the game. First not attempting a 31 yard field goal even though Bama's kicker wasn't having a good day. However, didn't understand the last two calls when Bama ran the ball instead of attempting a couple of passes. They had two time outs left when Auburn kicked the ball to them. McCarron was having a good day passing, he's a senior. Most likely they complete a couple of passes and would have had an easier field goal try. Who knows McCarron completed a 99 yard pass, maybe he completes a 60 Yard pass. Worse case scenario, time runs out and they're in OT

However, Glad Bama won't be going for the National Championship. Don't want to see FSU win it either.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Bama could still go to the NC game. Depends on what happens in the conference championship games.

I thought it was a terrible decision for Mizzou to go to the SEC, but after seeing their WCBB team beat Tennessee last year, and this year have a chance at the SEC title...I'm rethinking that.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
How come one of his own guys dragged him down at the end?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
' Bama special team, totally unprepared for the possibility of a runback, like in a state of shock…coaching?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Chalk that loss to coaching. Saban took a number of gambles that didn't pan out, but on that FG, Alabama was caught sleeping. Totally out of position like they could not even fathom a return. Glad I didn't have a horse in this one. Was fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I thought Auburn guy stepped on the out of bounds. Watched the replay just goes so fast, wish I could slow motion the part where he may have stepped on the line.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Once again, we are reminded what Mark Twain once said:

"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
In BB terms reminds me of a game within the last few years with a reverse twist where a team made a full length heave down court at the end of a game that could not have gone in and would have insured a loss if untouched, but a defender batted the ball with a fraction of a second left and it went to a player on the opposing team who flicked up another desperation shot that went in and won the game. I guess that would have been more like the Auburn guy running the kick back and fumbling, allowing a Bama guy to scoop up the ball and run it back the other way for a TD.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I thought Auburn guy stepped on the out of bounds. Watched the replay just goes so fast, wish I could slow motion the part where he may have stepped on the line.

I watched in slow mo from the back-to-the-returner view and all the clearly visible frames show him in bounds, but there was a split second where the view is blocked by two of his guys, though it would not have been the most likely spot for him to be out of bounds. There was a place where his left foot toe was turned inward to grab the in-bounds that might have made him look out, but the toe was in.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
' Bama special team, totally unprepared for the possibility of a runback, like in a state of shock…coaching?

An announcer said that Bama had their big guys in, no one who could catch the runner.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I am wondering what was a bigger miracle: the way Auburn won or that the Hannukah oil lasted eight days. They seem on par with each other.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
oh... didnt know it was that longer, now I see why he came up short

The FG attempt did not come up short. The ball was snapped with one second showing on the clock. It was kicked long enough and high enough but wide right. That is how the Auburn guy caught it near the corner of the end zone, about a yard inside the end line. He ran almost straight ahead, down the sideline (his left) for 109 yards. And the winning TD over the #1 ranked team with time elapsed.

No fiction writer could sell this script. It falls completely outside of reasonable "possibilities."

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sorry Kibitz, but no, there was not enough leg in that kick for a 57 yard FG, maybe even a 52 yard kick. See the replay and the returner is catching the ball in front of the goal posts maybe 4 ft off the ground, and the ball would have had to be many feet up from there to reach the cross bar. The kicker's limit was about 50, and a hail bama toss would have been more prudent. Still, if I was Bama, I would have told one of those big slow guys to go over toward his right sideline after the kick and just stand there ready to put a big belly on any returner for a nudge out of bounds, because I'm very good at being a Sunday morning quarterback.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sorry Kibitz, but no, there was not enough leg in that kick for a 57 yard FG, maybe even a 52 yard kick. See the replay and the returner is catching the ball in front of the goal posts maybe 4 ft off the ground, and the ball would have had to be many feet up from there to reach the cross bar. The kicker's limit was about 50, and a hail bama toss would have been more prudent. Still, if I was Bama, I would have told one of those big slow guys to go over toward his right sideline after the kick and just stand there ready to put a big belly on any returner for a nudge out of bounds, because I'm very good at being a Sunday morning quarterback.

I readily concede the point about the kick being short. Dumb me, forgetting that goal posts in college are ten yards behind the goal line. So, yes, it was short and I was mistaken.

Still, the Auburn hero was credited with a 109 yard return, so he caught it only one yard from the end line. Sufficiently miraculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom