OT: De'Andre Johnson Fight Video -Comments? | The Boneyard

OT: De'Andre Johnson Fight Video -Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This video is all over social media, generating lots of discussion. Since it is sports related, I was wondering what Boneyarders had to say.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
He should be arrested immediately, dismissed from FSU, and made to understand that there are consequences for stupidity and violence against women-yes I mean jail time.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
As an aside, I am all for public video surveillance, even if it seems like Big Brother is watching. Video provides irrefutable proof of what happened. No more he said, she said. A very important tool for crime detection and hopefully prevention. Although some criminals don't seem to care that they are being watched.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
There are consequences for stupidity and violence against ANYBODY - even as the father of daughters, I somewhat object to "violence against women" as being automatically different, or somehow more egregious, than violence against men.

In some cases, it can be - if predatorially/sexually based: if, being female, was an important part of the basis for the violence. In this case, it was stupid bar-crap, one person mouthing off to another, and then throwing the first punch. Unfortunately for her, she threw a poor punch, and was waaay out of her weight class. Gender seems to have no role here - there's ample stupidity without introducing gender.

I am not excusing what he did - he should be held responsible for his role. But, SO SHOULD SHE. She obviously said something, and indisputably threw the first punch. The fact that it was a lousy punch, and a really dumb idea, does not negate that.

Would you hope that he wouldn't retaliate against anybody that much smaller than he is? Absolutely. But, this is not a one-sided "boy beats girl" scenario. She escalated things twice, verbally and physically. He doesn't get a pass for what he did, but she doesn't either. Equality is a two-edged sword, where you get equal reward for your success, and equal penalty for your failures.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
He should be arrested immediately, dismissed from FSU, and made to understand that there are consequences for stupidity and violence against women-yes I mean jail time.

And she should have been arrested immediately and made to understand that there are consequences for hitting people.
images

Reaction Score
There are consequences for stupidity and violence against ANYBODY - even as the father of daughters, I somewhat object to "violence against women" as being automatically different, or somehow more egregious, than violence against men.

In some cases, it can be - if predatorially/sexually based: if, being female, was an important part of the basis for the violence. In this case, it was stupid bar-crap, one person mouthing off to another, and then throwing the first punch. Unfortunately for her, she threw a poor punch, and was waaay out of her weight class. Gender seems to have no role here - there's ample stupidity without introducing gender.

I am not excusing what he did - he should be held responsible for his role. But, SO SHOULD SHE. She obviously said something, and indisputably threw the first punch. The fact that it was a lousy punch, and a really dumb idea, does not negate that.

Would you hope that he wouldn't retaliate against anybody that much smaller than he is? Absolutely. But, this is not a one-sided "boy beats girl" scenario. She escalated things twice, verbally and physically. He doesn't get a pass for what he did, but she doesn't either. Equality is a two-edged sword, where you get equal reward for your success, and equal penalty for your failures.

Let's not lose sight of the fact he is UNDERAGE in a BAR to begin with.

As someone once said, you never hear of these things happening at the library do you?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I agree violence is violence. My pointing out violence against women was my indirect way of calling him a coward. So let me stop beating around the bush. He is preying scum and a coward! He probably would not have swung if that were a guy for fear of getting hit just as hard as he can deliver. That is what cowards do and unfortunately too many of the victims are women.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I agree violence is violence. My pointing out violence against women was my indirect way of calling him a coward. So let me stop beating around the bush. He is preying scum and a coward! He probably would not have swung if that were a guy for fear of getting hit just as hard as he can deliver. That is what cowards do and unfortunately too many of the victims are women.

And if he did swing at a guy it would have been ok?

Reaction Score
Yep, looks like she definitely threw a "punch" at him first. But he was far from in danger and sure should have walked away. They probably both should be charged with disorderly conduct or something of the sort.

Shows a total lack of self-control on his part to actually hit her. And if he was underage? A total , um, mess. But the guy was likely pinning his hopes on playing pro football and with his college dumping him,that punch may have cost him a lot!

Reaction Score
She tried to knee him in the groin before the punch. He was underage at a bar. Both threw punches. Both should have been arrested. Both are young enough to earn a second chance after some tough punishment. If either of them was the winning World Cup goalie for Team U.S.A. no one would care.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She tried to knee him in the groin before the punch. He was underage at a bar. Both threw punches. Both should have been arrested. Both are young enough to earn a second chance after some tough punishment. If either of them was the winning World Cup goalie for Team U.S.A. no one would care.
Just to be clear, I liked your post in spite of the last line, not because of it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sorry, I think you are out on a limb here. Yeah, he shouldn't have it her. There is something really sad about someone hitting some one else that appears obviously weaker than them.

But you really have no idea what he would have done if it was a dude, impressively sized or not. Lots of macho idiots out there that don't really think about what might happen - oh, wait, he clearly didn't think about it in this case. Of course, what was she thinking??

If we can live in a country where someone thinks setting a firework off on their head is a good idea then . . .

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
A simple "excuse me" when attempting to get to an edge of the bar could well have prevented this entire incident.

Saying, "don't hit me, or I'll hit you back" might have prevented the rest of it. The woman seemed drunk, and a threat like that may have been a temporarily sobering moment.

Everyone has a right to defend themselves, but there are choices short of knocking the crap out of another person, especially a woman. Doesn't seem like anyone involved was in the right.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry, I think you are out on a limb here. Yeah, he shouldn't have it her. There is something really sad about someone hitting some one else that appears obviously weaker than them.

But you really have no idea what he would have done if it was a dude, impressively sized or not. Lots of macho idiots out there that don't really think about what might happen - oh, wait, he clearly didn't think about it in this case. Of course, what was she thinking??

If we can live in a country where someone thinks setting a firework off on their head is a good idea then . . .
We are in agreement on many points-he should not have hit her, there was not much "thinking going on by anyone involved...." I stand by my opinions- that he probably would not have hit her were she a guy of his size & any man that would hit a woman so viciously-regardless of provocation-is scum and a coward.

Who thought/thinks it is was a good idea to set fireworks off on their head?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We are in agreement on many points-he should not have hit her, there was not much "thinking going on by anyone involved...." I stand by my opinions- that he probably would not have hit her were she a guy of his size & any man that would hit a woman so viciously-regardless of provocation-is scum and a coward.

Who thought/thinks it is was a good idea to set fireworks off on their head?
Someone who died over the weekend. It was on my news feed. He was drunk, his friends thought they had talked him out of it, they were wrong. Sad, I guess, but really, really indicative of what drunk folks might do.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Testosterone, entitlement, cultural BS-also known as rap, and alcohol : any questions?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Someone who died over the weekend. It was on my news feed. He was drunk, his friends thought they had talked him out of it, they were wrong. Sad, I guess, but really, really indicative of what drunk folks might do.
Truly sad & unfortunate situation. I had not heard about.
Johnson's lawyer is claiming he yell a racial slur and kneed him in the groin before he retaliated. None of his changes my opinion of Johnson's actions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Your kidding right? Have you any idea how much of rap is full of misogynistic violence?
No I was not kidding. I have a good idea of how much of "rap is full of misogynistic violence"- too much is the short answer.

Do you recognize these lyrics?

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight.

Just in case you don't it is first verse of Brown Sugar by the Stones. The generation that grew up on the Stones music did not take the lyrics seriously, and neither does most of current generation take rap lyrics seriously.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No I was not kidding. I have a good idea of how much of "rap is full of misogynistic violence"- too much is the short answer.

Do you recognize these lyrics?

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight.

Just in case you don't it is first verse of Brown Sugar by the Stones. The generation that grew up on the Stones music did not take the lyrics seriously, and neither does most of current generation take rap lyrics seriously.

I'm afraid your point is too subtle for me or too, too BS clear...not sure which, but since we agree so much on our WCBB I surrender...you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom