OT: Connecticut to Brooklyn question | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut to Brooklyn question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, my oldest son and I are going to Brooklyn on Saturday so he can take a look at NYU-Poly. Would it be better to take the train to Grand Central then hop on the subway or just drive there? The open house starts at 10:00.

Any suggestions?

BTW, NYU-Poly (Poytechnic Institute of New York University) is at Six Metro Tech Center/Jay Street.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So, my oldest son and I are going to Brooklyn on Saturday so he can take a look at NYU-Poly. Would it be better to take the train to Grand Central then hop on the subway or just drive there? The open house starts at 10:00.

Any suggestions?

BTW, NYU-Poly (Poytechnic Institute of New York University) is at Six Metro Tech Center/Jay Street.
I'm checking with my son in Tribeca.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Driving down is just fine but parking around Jay Street (Brooklyn) is a problem.

What a new Yorker might do is park the car in the Village (Manhattan, just south of 14th St, around Washington St.) if you have a GPS, easy to find...West Side Highway to 14 St, one block over to Washington, then South, downtown to around 12 Street. Plenty of safe, alternate side parking there, then walk 3-4 blocks down 12St to the Subway; take the downtown train which takes you right to Jay St.

On either side of the trip, you can sample the varied cuisine, enjoy the atmosphere, and take a stroll on the new elevated park, just a few blocks uptown on Washington Street.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Or you could come up for a Cappuccino, I'm right there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What a new Yorker might do is park the car in the Village (Manhattan, just south of 14th St, around Washington St.) if you have a GPS, easy to find...West Side Highway to 14 St, one block over to Washington, then South, downtown to around 12 Street. Plenty of safe, alternate side parking there, then walk 3-4 blocks down 12St to the Subway; take the downtown train which takes you right to Jay St.
I don't have GPS and am leery of getting lost in the Village. Heck, if I knew NYC that well I wouldn't need to ask for help!

My son and I will be in and out on Saturday. My husband and I are going to a beer tasting Saturday night and I'll need to rest up.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Nan - I recommend you go MetroNorth to GCT and then subway down to MetroTech. If you should choose this route...
  • Once arriving at GCT, take the "S" train (Shuttle/gray) from GCT to Times Sq. (2 mins.).
  • Transfer at Times Sq. to either the #2/3 train (red), or the "R" train (yellow) all the way to your destination. The 2/3 will get you there 5+ minutes faster and put you 2 blocks away from Jay St./MetroTech getting out at Borough Hall station. If you should take the "R" train, simply get off right at Jay St./MetroTech.
The "R" takes a few minutes longer because of local stops and you'll undoubtedly be rushing to get there in the morning with young adult in tow. ;)

The entire subway route including the Times Sq. transfers will take 45+ minutes to your destination.

I've taken the liberty of checking the weather for you and it appears Saturday will be mostly sunny. Depending on what time you wrap up the visit, take the "R" train back to Manhattan and get off at 23rd St. You'll come out of the subway right in front of the famous Flat Iron Building and bucolic Madison Square Park. Cross 23rd St. to the North and enter Madison Sq. Park, following your sense of smell 100 yards to the Shake Shack! One of the best char-broiled burger joints in all Manhattan with milk shakes, fries and onion rings to die for. They also have a nice selection of imported bottle beers which you may be in need of after your NYU visit. The outdoor seating right there in the heart of the park on a sunny Saturday will be most enjoyable!

From Madison Sq. Park, walk East 1 block on 23rd St. to Park Ave. South and take the "6" train (green) straight back to GCT (5 mins.). You'll eliminate the Times Sq. hitch!

Have a great time. :)

Subway map: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Shake Shack: http://www.shakeshack.com/

Reaction Score
The easiest on your nerves if you don't like the thought of driving in NYC would be to take the Metro North to Grand Central Station. At Grand Central, ask where the Lexington Ave. subway line is (access downstairs from Grand Central). When you buy your access card, ask for a subway map and confirm the route I'm suggesting.

Take the Downtown 4 or 5 train. Stay on until the Borough Hall stop. Should be a short walk from there. (While still in Manhattan you might see signs for City Hall. That's a different station than Borough Hall so don't worry). Don't be afraid to ask other passengers to confirm you're on the right track, so to speak.

There is a Jay Street Metro Tech stop, but that would require changing trains (to the A, C, F or R train). That stop is close to the Borough Hall stop so it's not worth having to change trains to go by this route.
http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Reaction Score
Oops, or you can do as Replicant says.

Another option is to train to Grand Central with your bicycles, and ride over the Brooklyn Bridge to get there. Bike riding in NYC on weekends is great. You may have to get a bike pass in advance, so that's probably not an option for this trip.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Then I agree
Metro-North
Lexington Ave 4 or 5 train to Boro hall.
Forget about the S
The Lexington Avenue train is in Grand Central Station, follow the signs

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Lexington Ave 4 or 5 train to Boro hall. Forget about the S
I'm recommending "S" to the "R" train because a) it will let them out directly in front of their destination on Jay St. without the need to walk even the few blocks from Borough Hall, and b) because I don't want them having any surprises with potential weekend construction suspensions on the 4/5 line:

"Over the next three years, construction of the Fulton St Transit Center and the new South Ferry Terminal, the rehabilitation of the Wall St
4_16.gif
5_16.gif
station and normal subway maintenance will cause suspension of weekend service on some lines."

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Nan, speaking as a NYer, it's a no-brainer.. Take the train and subway. Saturday traffic is less of a problem generally, but parking is always a hassle and could be very expensive.

Only reason to drive IMO is if you wanted to stop somewhere else on the way into or out of the city.

on edit: for the 4 subway fares you will need, you can save a bit of cash and some time by buying a Metrocard. I believe you can buy a single card to get the 4 fares. Or if you think someone may be using the subway again soon, spend a bit more and reduce the per fare cost even more.

google metrocard for more info, sorry I can't post the link I was looking at.

Reaction Score
Nan - I recommend you go MetroNorth to GCT and then subway down to MetroTech. If you should choose this route...
  • Once arriving at GCT, take the "S" train (Shuttle/gray) from GCT to Times Sq. (2 mins.).
  • Transfer at Times Sq. to either the #2/3 train (red), or the "R" train (yellow) all the way to your destination. The 2/3 will get you there 5+ minutes faster and put you 2 blocks away from Jay St./MetroTech getting out at Borough Hall station. If you should take the "R" train, simply get off right at Jay St./MetroTech.
The "R" takes a few minutes longer because of local stops and you'll undoubtedly be rushing to get there in the morning with young adult in tow. ;)

The entire subway route including the Times Sq. transfers will take 45+ minutes to your destination.

I've taken the liberty of checking the weather for you and it appears Saturday will be mostly sunny. Depending on what time you wrap up the visit, take the "R" train back to Manhattan and get off at 23rd St. You'll come out of the subway right in front of the famous Flat Iron Building and bucolic Madison Square Park. Cross 23rd St. to the North and enter Madison Sq. Park, following your sense of smell 100 yards to the Shake Shack! One of the best char-broiled burger joints in all Manhattan with milk shakes, fries and onion rings to die for. They also have a nice selection of imported bottle beers which you may be in need of after your NYU visit. The outdoor seating right there in the heart of the park on a sunny Saturday will be most enjoyable!

From Madison Sq. Park, walk East 1 block on 23rd St. to Park Ave. South and take the "6" train (green) straight back to GCT (5 mins.). You'll eliminate the Times Sq. hitch!

Have a great time. :)

Subway map: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Shake Shack: http://www.shakeshack.com/
Wow... a concierge service at the Boneyard. Who knew? Nice job!

Reaction Score
All the above suggestions are excellent.
If expense is not an issue, take Amtrak from New London, New Haven or Stamford to Penn Station, then take the 2 or the 3 train to either Borough Hall or Hoyt St. As suggested, you will need a Metro Card. $10 will be sufficient for the 2 x 2 fares. If you decide to sightsee, you can always put more value on the card.

Should you decide to drive, Saturday morning is almost always decent traffic wise. When driving to downtown Brooklyn, I always come in the back way via Atlantic Avenue. From CT take the I-95 to the Whitestone Bridge.(Possible bottleneck when the New England Thruway becomes the Cross Bronx Expressway just south of Co-Op City. More than likely not on a Saturday morning). Make sure you are in one of the right two lanes on the Whitestone Bridge, then allow yourself to tranistion to the Whitestone Expressway. You will have a couple of miles, but be sure you are in one of the left two lanes, then get on the Van Wyck Expressway. when you pass the unisphere, be sure you are in the right lane so that you can exit to the Jackie Robinson Parkway(used to be the Interboro Parkway). The Jackie Robinson Parkway is narrow in many spots and has some tight curves, especially in the cemetery. The last exit before the end of the Jackie Robinson is Bushwick Ave. Get off at the Bushwick Ave. exit bearing right when you get to Bushwick(there will be a transit maintenance facility directly in front of you when you make the right). At the second(don't hold me to this) light make a left on to Eastern Parkway Extension. Go under the Broadway el, drive on past Fulton, Herkimer, then turn right on to Atlantic Avenue. Very early on, the LIRR is going to come up out of the ground. You are going to be on Atlantic for quite a stretch so take whatever lane is moving best. When you pass Flatbush Ave. then be sure you are in the right lane. You are going pass 3rd St., Nevins, Hoyt, possibly one or two more streets before you get to Smith St. the Brooklyn House of Detention, a high rise jail is on the corner. If you drive past the jail, you've gone too far. Not to worry, though, you are that close to your destination. Anyway, turn right on to Smith St, Smith will become Jay St and Metro Tech is right there.

Partake of Junior's Cheesecake while you are down there.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
(headache) this is the very reason I stay out of NYC, too much!

been to NYC plenty of times but never been on the subway. Amtrak Hartford to Penn Station then a cab to Delancey & Orchard.

drive: 91, 95, whitestone bridge, 678, Hillside, Van Wyck, left onto Jamaica Ave.

Reaction Score
Man, I thought the Connecticut Sun was moving to Brooklyn or something.....my bad. lol

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
If expense is not an issue, take Amtrak from New London, New Haven or Stamford to Penn Station, then take the 2 or the 3 train to either Borough Hall or Hoyt St. As suggested, you will need a Metro Card. $10 will be sufficient for the 2 x 2 fares. If you decide to sightsee, you can always put more value on the card.

Partake of Junior's Cheesecake while you are down there.
Nan - I hadn't taken into account how far North you may be coming from regarding trains into Manhattan. I'm always hopping MetroNorth down here in Darien [2nd nature], but VA makes an excellent point about taking AmTrak to Penn Station if you're coming from anywhere North of New Haven. This route will save you an additional 15-20 mins. The 2/3 train from Penn Station remains the way to go. Avoid the 4/5 train (weekends only) due to possible construction suspensions of service.

VA's suggestion about Junior's Cheesecake is also spot-on and you'll only be a few blocks away. Just remember to blame VA and not me for the suggestion, later! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Probably more than you need (and perhaps conflicting), but here's my son's input. He's lived (Murray Hill, Columbia, and Upper West Side) and worked (Brooklyn, Union Square, and Tribeca) for 8 of the last 9 years and seems to know his way around well.

Driving is probably easier. Metro north takes forever, plus the subway will be 25-30 minutes. Take the 4 or 5 train from Grand Central to Borough Hall Brooklyn. From Borough Hall it is a 4-5 short block walk.

Not sure about parking, but on a Saturday, it shouldn't be awfully difficult.
If [you] have time afterwards, walk south along Smith Street past Atlantic Ave., as it is a very charming street with good retail. Brooklyn Heights is even nicer but not really a student type of 'hood.

Taking the train isn't a bad idea as it will show [your] son how he will be getting home on the holidays [unless you pick him up].

Have a great trip! Get a smart phone. The GPS alone makes it worth the cost. Prior models, like the iPhone 4, are bargain priced.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
DRIVE.

I'll bet there's paid parking lots around as it is the weekend. I have always found that changing modes of transportation always sounds easy, but when you come right down to it - not worth the trouble.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Well, Nan, I'm glad the group was able to get together on this topic and give you the clear, authoritative answer that leaves no question on the best way to get where you need to go.

Actually, looking back at the original post, it seems you did ask for suggestionS. And your fellow Boneyarders came through.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If parking is the main consideration then I'll probably drive as NYU-Poly has sent us confirmation giving us options on places to park for free. Cost isn't really the issue, though, as much as convenience and the aggravation factor.

JS

Reaction Score
If parking is the main consideration then I'll probably drive
Man, I wonder if we could market the terrific public transportation tour guide in this thread. Fascinating to me even as somebody who lived in the City for several years.

Just don't ask the board for stock market tips. Any strategic consensus among these clowns would be really scary.

Reaction Score
Man, I wonder if we could market the terrific public transportation tour guide in this thread. Fascinating to me even as somebody who lived in the City for several years.

Just don't ask the board for stock market tips. Any strategic consensus among these clowns would be really scary.
Buy low, sell high. That's all you need to know.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Here's a scary clown:

scary-clown.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member