OT: College search in the Carolinas | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: College search in the Carolinas

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My son did a great deal of research while looking at science programs for his undergrad and more recently for his Masters. He said he'd be more than willing to give you his email to start a dialogue with your son and possibly answer some questions about what he found while searching schools. My son did mention that Environmental science has many different degrees (ie advocacy, research, legal etc) and depending on what direction he wants to go would help determine the best programs and schools. My son is 22 and very easy to talk to.

Has he looked into NC Wilmington?
I've been told UNC Wilmington is more of a suitcase (i.e. commuter) school. If my son were certain he wanted Environmental Science he wouldn't mind but he's really undecided so the college experience is very important to him.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nan,

Like I said before, I'm 21 and have lived in Charlotte since 2000. Just went through this process three years ago so I remember it very well.

A couple other schools worth looking at (if youre looking for a safety school) would be ECU, APP, and UNC-Charlotte, although those are all a lot bigger sized student bodies than what you'll get at HPU, Elon, and Wake Forest.

One school I would HIGHLY suggest looking at for your son is Washington and Lee University in Virginia. It is like Wake Forest on steroids. Campus is GORGEOUS and is about 2000 kids. Very good academic school.

Don't mean to bore you/guide you in one direction or another but if you or your son wants any other opinion on schools down here DM me and i'll give you my email. Hope I can help.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I've been told UNC Wilmington is more of a suitcase (i.e. commuter) school. If my son were certain he wanted Environmental Science he wouldn't mind but he's really undecided so the college experience is very important to him.

Yes... the schools with the UNC prefix (UNC-G, UNC-W, UNCC) have had that suitcase reputation for years.... though Charlotte has added a football team with a great on-campus stadium to try to keep more students on campus on the weekend. I was gonna suggest Guilford College here in Greensboro.... but based on what I've read.. its probably too small of a school for your son.

Reaction Score
Huskynan

I livd in NC in the 1980s and then moved to CA.

Just a few facts and suggestions.

1. UNCG was a women's college and still has a very large percentage of women. Its standard is a lot lower than UNC Chapel Hill or Charlotte.

2. Charlotte is a good choice for A- students. I have no idea about the quality of life there.

3. Please consider CA if you are trying to get away from cold and snow. If you are looking for private colleges, my suggestions are

(i) Claremont Colleges: Pomona (liberal arts) and Harvey Mudd (for science and engg)
(ii) University of San Diego

You will love the school and the weather. Guaranteed.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Huskynan

I livd in NC in the 1980s and then moved to CA.

Just a few facts and suggestions.

1. UNCG was a women's college and still has a very large percentage of women. Its standard is a lot lower than UNC Chapel Hill or Charlotte.

2. Charlotte is a good choice for A- students. I have no idea about the quality of life there.

3. Please consider CA if you are trying to get away from cold and snow. If you are looking for private colleges, my suggestions are

(i) Claremont Colleges: Pomona (liberal arts) and Harvey Mudd (for science and engg)
(ii) University of San Diego

You will love the school and the weather. Guaranteed.
Harvey Mudd is an outstanding college but my son is concentrating his search on the east coast from Baltimore to North Carolina. There are a ton of great schools in that area.

He's decided he wants a medium sized school with student populations of 4000 to about 15,000, although he'd consider a slightly larger school. He regretfully has crossed So. Carolina off his list for this reason.

Every time we look at a school he finds something he wants and something he doesn't want. But's been an illuminating experience for my son as he learns more about himself.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Harvey Mudd is an outstanding college but my son is concentrating his search on the east coast from Baltimore to North Carolina. There are a ton of great schools in that area.

He's decided he wants a medium sized school with student populations of 4000 to about 15,000, although he'd consider a slightly larger school. He regretfully has crossed So. Carolina off his list for this reason.

Every time we look at a school he finds something he wants and something he doesn't want. But's been an illuminating experience for my son as he learns more about himself.

I think the size consideration is really important. That was the one thing I didn't like about the Rutgers experience, the school was just so big and you were just - really - a number. At least in some ways.

Unfortunately, for me, cost was the driving factor. The family budget ensured 4 years at RU, but could only promise one at Wesleyan, my first choice. I think I was accepted at Lehigh, but that was always a back-up; Yale and another long shot didn't want me and I decided not to apply to RPI, although a friend of the family would have "sponsored" me.

My point is that the only thing I regret about college is not having the smaller school experience, so it is really key that your son stick to his guns about what it is he wants, while (of course) recognizing that you can't always get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom