ot: christmas movies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ot: christmas movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I do not normally post on the WBB board but I need to address this...;)

The Definitive top 5 list of Christmas Movies goes as follows:
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Miracle on 34th Street
3. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
4. Lethal Weapon
5. Die Hard

The rest start at a distant 6th (A Christmas Story, probably. It's really enjoyable the first time it's on during Christmas Day. Gets old quick the next 11 times) from these 5. Elf is good, it is not yet a classic. A Christmas Carol loses points due to the number of versions. Disney is involved in three of them alone.

That is all.

Last edited:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Heard an interview with Peter Billingsley (local radio station up here for their Mayflower Marathon). He said he was able to get a couple props from the set, the BB gun and the Bunny suit. Said he got them appraised and was told he could sell them for 6 figures.

FWIW, Theater Works in Hartford has a show running now where characters from Christmas movies and TV shows past stop into a bar years after their glory days. I thought it was a winner, many good laughs. Especially Hermie from Rudolph. Anyway, the first visitor was Ralphie and the bunny suit still affected him.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Heard an interview with Peter Billingsley (local radio station up here for their Mayflower Marathon). He said he was able to get a couple props from the set, the BB gun and the Bunny suit. Said he got them appraised and was told he could sell them for 6 figures.

Surely it wasn't by Rick Harrison.

This is how I see that conversation going:

"It's really interesting and it's a great part of Americana...if its real. You don't have any paperwork and it's really easy to fake. Tell you what. I have a buddy that knows everything there is to know about classic Christmas Cinema. Let me call him and get him down here. If it checks out I'll make you an offer." - Rick Harrison

"Go duckk yourself. I'm Ralphie!!!" - Peter Billingsley.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
th

The best!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've never seen A Wonderful Life. Will have to change that some day.

Well, Phil, make sure your Prosac prescription has at least a few pills left. Never understood the allure of a movie where hilites include a drunk old lout boxes a kids ears and renders him deaf in one ear and the town's rich old bully tromps the hero into wanting to commit suicide, but heh, that's just me.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Well, Phil, make sure your Prosac prescription has at least a few pills left. Never understood the allure of a movie where hilites include a drunk old lout boxes a kids ears and renders him deaf in one ear and the town's rich old bully tromps the hero into wanting to commit suicide, but heh, that's just me.

Watch the movie again and don't drink this time.

Do I have to warn against a spoiler alert for an 67 year old movie?

George Bailey lost the hearing in one ear from pneumonia. He got sick from rescuing his brother from the icy water beneath the thin ice while sledding.

Mr. Gower hit him (as was probably customary in the day) after George didn't "do his job" by delivering cyanide capsules to a customer. Gower made a mistake after he read the telegram saying his son died from the flu (Probably a regular occurrence).

Potter (Lionel Barrymore played Henry Potter masterfully) isn't the only thing that drove George to his wits' end. How about Uncle Billy just losing $8,000? How about the bank examiner knocking on the door? How about Zu Zu catching a cold? How about the fact that George measured his life's worth by what was in his pocket instead of his actual contributions to life?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

George Bailey lost the hearing in one ear from pneumonia. He got sick from rescuing his brother from the icy water beneath the thin ice while sledding.

Mr. Gower hit him (as was probably customary in the day) after George didn't "do his job" by delivering cyanide capsules to a customer. Gower made a mistake after he read the telegram saying his son died from the flu (Probably a regular occurrence).

Potter (Lionel Barrymore played Henry Potter masterfully) isn't the only thing that drove George to his wits' end. How about Uncle Billy just losing $8,000? How about the bank examiner knocking on the door? How about Zu Zu catching a cold? How about the fact that George measured his life's worth by what was in his pocket instead of his actual contributions to life?
Don't forget the knob on the staircase.

Great movie. Probably make my top 20 of all-time movies (not just Christmas)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Yup, you are right. The old pharmacist just aggravated it a mite, but thanks for filling in some of the rest of the details about this movie's spirit of Christmas.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
It's a Wonderful Life... even better with a good bottle of port to split with your favorite cutie.
Miracle on 34th Street... who doesn't love miracles?
One Magic Christmas with Mary Steenburgen and Harry Dean Stanton… a bit melancholy but a good one nonetheless… Johnnyc is spot on with this one.

YOPB

Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of the older animated classics, but not the live-action ones. Also, 'Christmas with the Kranks' is a favorite of mine.
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of the older animated classics, but not the live-action ones. Also, 'Christmas with the Kranks' is a favorite of mine.
Really? That's one I can't watch. IDK, just something about it annoys me. And I love Jamie Lee Curtis???? :confused:

Reaction Score
I do not normally post on the WBB board but I need to address this...;)

The Definitive top 5 list of Christmas Movies goes as follows:
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Miracle on 34th Street
3. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
4. Lethal Weapon
5. Die Hard

The rest start at a distant 6th (A Christmas Story, probably. It's really enjoyable the first time it's on during Christmas Day. Gets old quick the next 11 times) from these 5. Elf is good, it is not yet a classic. A Christmas Carol loses points due to the number of versions. Disney is involved in three of them alone.

That is all.
Didn't think those last 2 were Christmas movies. Elf is 10 years old this year!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Didn't think those last 2 were Christmas movies. Elf is 10 years old this year!

Not many do, but they are. Think about it...

1. Christmas is a running theme
a LW: Riggs is buying Cocaine and a Christmas Tree, Riggs is watching Looney Tunes Christmas Carol when he wants to off himself (also featured in It's a Wonderful Life...not the special. The sentiment), Mr. Joshua gets mad at the TV and yells "It's Christmas!!!", The Murtaughs leave a note for the bad guys, Santa-style. Murtaugh fixes an external Christmas light as the closing credits start.
c. Det. McClane is reuniting with his family in California for the Holidays. "Theo, It's Christmas. It's the time for miracles." - Hans Gruber.
2. Christmas Carols are prominent throughout
a. LW: Jingle Bell Rock, I'll be home for Christmas
b. DH: Christmas in Hollis (Argyle the Limo Driver), Let it Snow (Sgt. Powell and ending credits) and Ode to Joy (When they crack the seventh lock). I think they play Winter Wonderland too.
3. Presents are passed among the characters
a. LW Riggs gives Murtaugh his hollow point bullet through Reanne.
b. Holly gets a Rolex from Takagi and re-gifts it to Hans.
4. Both movies are a tale of self redemption/reunion/ spending time with family
a LW: Riggs proves he has value to himself. He is also accepted as part of the Martaugh Family. Reanne is rescued from the kidnappers
b. The whole point of McClaine going to LA was to reunite his family. In the process McClane proves his worth. Holly foregoes using her maiden name, Generro, when being introduced to Sgt. Powell.

Finally and most important...If a song whose sole purpose is to make the listener feel guilty of their Christmas celebration is considered a Christmas song, then both of these masterpieces of action cinema are Christmas movies. Do they know it's Christmas (Feed the World) is played on a loop from Thanksgiving until December 24. Yes, it's a catchy tune, but it's not exactly Carol of the Bells, content-wise.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
We have to watch Polar Express... After Christmas Story... OK, we are sentimental saps... But we love it!!!
I saw Emmitt Otter's Jug Band Christmas a couple days ago for the first time in years. I remember watching it over and over as a kid and I think I liked it because it involved Muppets. You want to talk about sap? You can make syrup out of that one.

Reaction Score
Guess I'm the only one that likes The Santa Clause......Like when ZZ top kicks in...:)

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
One vote for HOLIDAY. But it's not the usual Christmas story.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
tonight on NBC at 8:00
I was kinda bummed. Got home from my wife's work Christmas party, turned on TV and they were singing Auld Land Syne. :(

On the other hand, her Christmas party had an open bar. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22