OT: Car stereo help | The Boneyard

OT: Car stereo help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Consumers Report in my local library has no listing, so I ask can anyone recommend said machine?
Thanks.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
wow, that's pretty open ended WC. Go you want gps in there? is it a single or double din size? how important are connectivity features like blue tooth, wifi. Do you want it to support apps like Pandora? Do you want an available sd slot? Do you have a brand preference?

Here is one starting place:
http://www.cnet.com/topics/car-accessories/best-car-stereos/

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
who gets radios installed these days unless you want a speaker box in your trunk

Reaction Score
Just bought a Kenwood 5902 (double din). Really liking it; picked it over the Pioneer AVX-4100.

Where will you buy it? Get it installed?

What, specifically, are you looking for? Just audio? Navigation? The ability to play a lot of different media (i.e. CDs, USB drives, Bluetooth streaming music, etc.)? Satellite radio?

Also, do you want a smartphone to be able to connect?

If you start with what you want/ need, you'll get a better idea of what to get. Then you can figure out what will fit in your car's space. One way to do that is by going to Crutchfield and answering some questions about your car.

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I see. I didn't think of it as complex, because I'm a bare bones guy. I put in CD's, the machine plays them, then ejects when I push a button.
Which simple machine is good at holding the music in a home made disc, minimizing getting stuck and skipping?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I see. I didn't think of it as complex, because I'm a bare bones guy. I put in CD's, the machine plays them, then ejects when I push a button.
Which simple machine is good at holding the music in a home made disc, minimizing getting stuck and skipping?

You installing this yourself?

Reaction Score
Do not let them upsell you into more than you need. My wife bought me a Sony with teenie-tiny bttons and a remote and all, and I never mastered it in the three years it worked until one day it didn't. With great pleasure I reinstalled the stock 1991 Toyota radio.

Reaction Score
Get a player that will let you use a USB stick. You'll be thanking yourself for years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just buy a new car with the stereo and electronics you want in it. It's less complicated and may be cheaper.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just buy a new car with the stereo and electronics you want in it. It's less complicated and may be cheaper.

Do you ever feel just a little bit suspicious of vehicles advertised on the basis of their sound systems and now wifi?

Reaction Score
Let us know what you get-- and do chat with the Crutchfield folks!

Reaction Score
Thank you all...I like the USB stick idea.
My kids got me a player to replace my factory 6-disc changer (double-din unit). It was a Kenwood. I think it was from Boomer McCloud, but can't remember. It's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom