OT: Bygone Behaviors | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Bygone Behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not when it was more than a foot deep, which wasn't uncommon in the 50s & 60s. And sometimes it was a foot of wet snow. Super-double-plus-un-happy for shoveling.
Yep, drove over the foot deep stuff too. It got packed down pretty quick, but the snow was everywhere. No bare patches, roads or yards. Took the old Yankee Clipper sled everywhere. Sooner or later, what wasn't transformed to vapor through sublimation just melted away.

Reaction Score
Fun times with only rear wheel drives, no traction control, or downhill assist.

How about Gasoline costing less than $2.00/gallon in a robust economy?

How about Cars being more mechanical than computerized, allowing Dad to fix anything in half a day?
Computerized? The windshield wipers were vacuum driven. You had to rev the engine to get them to go faster. We didn't even have power steering, brakes, or windows. How did we even survive? Used car ads in the paper always advised potential buyers the car was equipped with "R&H" meaning it had a radio and heater. Forget air conditioning, an automatic transmission was the luxury of the day.

Prepped for fixing the car by taking your bike apart and putting it back together every other week in the summer.

Reaction Score
Hitchhiking everywhere.
unwrapped Halloween candy
Hitchhiked to Florida and back once. I thought that was hitchhiking "everywhere" until I picked up someone who was finishing up hitchhiking around the world! Now she was amazing. Around the world. Alone. Made me realize how gutless I really was.

Reaction Score
Free reign as a kid, as long as you were home when the street lights came on. Biking into other towns to see friends, hiking for miles in the woods were all fair game.
Yep, that's the saddest one to lose. What's happened to you america?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Skitching. Don't know if that's how it's spelled, because it never was, only said.

Hanging onto the bumper of a car and sliding behind on the snow/ice down the street. Quicker way to get home from school.....as long as the driver didn't notice you. Then they'd stop and yell at you as you ran off, cutting through houses, yards (which people don't do much of now either).

Reaction Score
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045456/reviews
Yep, that's the saddest one to lose. What's happened to you america?

It has been sucked into cyberspace...adventure now is exploring a new web site or (the dreaded) Facebook page...

Video "graphics", back in the day, were pioneered by a plastic film write on screen cover kit... it was for the show called Winky Dink(? thanks Google)...that could be attached to the TV screen and then, using crayons could draw on this overlay during the show to 'help' the hero escape or get somewhere etc. (like a bridge across a river). It was state of the art...

My Mom was too smart...recognizing a fad when she saw it... (and probably couldn't afford the real kit) so we used Saran Wrap instead. I think this fad wore out quickly. Here's one reference http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045456/reviews

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Gas options: Regular or Unleaded.
going to get milk from vending machines on the corner (Quarter or Half Gallon)
People stopping by to get fruit from the tree in your yard and getting a pie in return. (we had a pear tree and next door was a cherry tree)
Making your own toys. (taking and old skate and piece of wood to make a skateboard; Rubber band, clothes pin , tab from can to make a gun), digging holes for a game of marbles.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In ye olde days, we could strangle a Seth Green lookalike and hide his body without having to answer too many questions about it. Then again, we could probably get away with it today, too.

Gary Busey. Don't lump me with the gingers.

Reaction Score
Skitching. Don't know if that's how it's spelled, because it never was, only said.

Hanging onto the bumper of a car and sliding behind on the snow/ice down the street. Quicker way to get home from school.....as long as the driver didn't notice you. Then they'd stop and yell at you as you ran off, cutting through houses, yards (which people don't do much of now either).
We called it "hopping cars."

Reaction Score
People stopping by to get fruit from the tree in your yard and getting a pie in return. (we had a pear tree and next door was a cherry tree)
Making your own toys. (taking and old skate and piece of wood to make a skateboard; Rubber band, clothes pin , tab from can to make a gun), digging holes for a game of marbles.
Most gasoline brands didn't even offer unleaded until laws were passed. Only Amoco, I think, and they only had unleaded.

We had a woods that was mostly pear trees. We ate green pears all summer. I don't think I ever had a yellow pear unless it came from the store.

Making much less elegant versions of Soap Box Derby buggies from a crate, a 2x8, a couple of 2x4's and wheels from somewhere. Put a bolt through one end of the 2x8 and attached the 2x4 for steering, used our feet and a rope.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but filing the rim off a penny and using it in vending machines to get a Coke. Anybody know the statute of limitation on things like that.

Reaction Score
...digging holes for a game of marbles.
How did you play marbles in a hole? Every spring the chief of police (actually, the entire force...and he didn't wear a uniform that made him look like Ike in WW2) organized a tournament to crown a school champion (girls too, although mostly boys). Winner went to Wildwood (NJ) to play for the national championship. A kid from our school, "Ducky" somebody-or-other, won one year. We all went down to the school auditorium to see him and his new bike. I wanted to win in the worst way.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Once upon a time there were chestnut trees. On the 8th grade playground boys would compete with a shoe string through a hollowed
out chestnut. Boy A held his motionless while boy B would swing his downward, hoping to smash the rival's.
You accumulate points for the victory, including the points the vanquished chestnut had previously.

Reaction Score
Other games played, usually in the spring.

Tops - someone chosen to be first one in placed one of his tops on a hard surface, usually blacktop or concrete. Everybody else wound his top, took aim, and fired at the offered top. If you hit on the throw, you were safe. If you missed, you had to scoop it up in your hand and carry it to the offered top and drop it on. If you missed, or if your top stopped spinning before contacting the other top, you had to put your top up. It was considered cool if you split the other guy's top on the throw.

Dogfight - played with balsa wood planes. Somebody tossed his plane lazily in a straight flight. The others would throw their planes at it. Again, bonus points is you broke the other plane.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Ordering a cup of coffee.....

- and not having to elaborate on what size, which roast I want, or whether or not it should be poured 'with room.'

kaffekopp.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Letter writing. I receive a letter from my cousin about once a month. I cherish every single cross out, scribble, misspelled word and silly animation.
Its the way she chooses to stay in touch, I love it.

For decades, my dad and I exchanged letters with the odd article, newspapers clipping etc, but mostly just it was just an on going conversation. A lot of sage advice in those letters. My dad still with us but now we keep in touch by phone. I do miss those letters. My bride still has the letters I wrote to her before we were married. There's something about a handwritten letter that makes it more intimate than emails.

Reaction Score
When, where and with what car was this?
A variety. Two I most remember were a 1950 Jeepster and a 1953 Mercury woody. Did we spin wheels sometime? Sure. Even got stuck once in a while and had to dig ourselves out. But remember front/4 wheel drive doesn't help with 2 of the 3 driving essentials: steering and stopping.

Reaction Score
There was a huge hill in our neighborhood, someone would stand and the bottom to let us know no cars were coming. We would form a train by booking our feet into the front of the sled behind, usually 10 or so sleds and down we go. Then the town trucks would come and throw clinkers on the road. Boo.

Reaction Score
A variety. Two I most remember were a 1950 Jeepster and a 1953 Mercury woody. Did we spin wheels sometime? Sure. Even got stuck once in a while and had to dig ourselves out. But remember front/4 wheel drive doesn't help with 2 of the 3 driving essentials: steering and stopping.
In East Hartford we had to shovel the driveway because the streets were plowed and it was a good 2 or 3 foot berm to drive through. We had VWs and they are pretty good on snow... with the engine over the drive wheels and all. I was just curious... thanks. :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

bumper-sledding on the public city buses

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
sling-shots... homemade with tree branches, rubber bands and shoe-patches

Reaction Score
When the latest popular movie came out you, if you wanted to see it you went to the theater. Otherwise, you would wait a long time before it would be shown on tv - and not every movie would make it on tv.

And on a related topic - drive in movies were EVERYWHERE. A fixed cost for the car, no matter how many people were in it. My parents would take my sister and I and we could each bring a friend in the family station wagon. The kids would wear our pjs and bring sleeping bags and pillows and take positions on the roof (laying on our bellies or my mother would shame us for blocking the view of the cars behind) or on the hood with our backs against the windshield while my parents sat in the woven mesh lawn chairs in front of the car. Most of the time there was a cooler with Shasta soda of various flavors - orange, grape, strawberry, lemon lime, black cherry, root beer. We would go to 7-11 before the movie. My parents would give my sister and I a dollar each to get a bag of penny candy - Jolly Rancher fire, watermelon, cherry and sour apple stix, pixie stix, tootsie rolls, milk duds and we would share it with our friends. We would come away with a full bag because, like someone else said penny candy really did cost a penny. Usually got to buy a box of popcorn at the concession stand to share among the kids - there was only one size in those days. On rare occasions, we would skip dinner before and get to buy a hot dog at the concession stand - now THAT was special! We would get there at least a half hour before sunset to get a parking spot in dead center - always a few rows in front of the concession stand, and then play on the play ground in front of the screen - yes, in our pajamas like every other kid there. Then, the playground lights would flash and a countdown would show on the screen. We would trek back to the car weaving between cars and over the mounds of parking spots. The speaker would be affixed to the partially rolled down window, pointing out like every other family there so everyone outside could hear the movie. Except...there were always a couple of cars that, after dark, seemed to have no one in them, the windows were rolled up with the speaker on the post and depending on the temperature - a bit steamed up. (Never understood the meaning of that at the age I was). Always a cartoon before the first G rated feature film, typically a Disney movie, cartoon usually Woody Woodpecker. Then, after the family movie was over, the dancing hotdogs, sodas and popcorn boxes would dance to the "Let's go out to the lobby and have ourselves a snack" jingle - which always made me laugh because there WAS NO lobby! Always took a trip to the bathroom between the first and second feature. By that time it was getting cooler, so us kids would retreat to the car and wrap ourselves in our sleeping bags - two in the back seat, two in the "back to back" seat. Much as we tried, we rarely made it past the first 10 minutes of the R rated "parents" movie and fell fast asleep. Usually, would wake up when we got home and then our friends would sleep over.

Man, that was a fun trip down memory lane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom