OT: Brady's Freed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
brady-jump.nocrop.w529.h316.gif

Reaction Score
I've written elsewhere here that Goodell had been anxious to use the Brady/Patriots episode to draw attention away from the very bad year he had dealing with player related domestic abuse and the shameful way in which he handled the NFL's response to the long term effects concussions have had on player's health.

I don't know what Brady or the Patriots did or didn't know, but Deflate-gate happened along just in time to deflect attention away from the voices that were calling for Goodell to man up about the league's real problems or just step away and let someone else do the job he should have been doing all along.

I don't know what the Giants or Vikings or Packers or Cowboys do that they would rather not have us know about, but in my mind one thing is for sure, the future of the League is far more threatened by the League office tolerating domestic violence by its players and torquing medical records to fit their response to the acusations that were being made about traumatic brain injuries then it is by deflated footballs.

I could have tolerated the Brady suspension if Goodell had shown the courage and leadership that has been exhibited by Adam Silver but he's not cut from the same cloth and in the end the League has much more to fear in the way that Goodell has behaved than it has in the antics of the Patriots when preparing for a game

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good. This never should have been an issue.

After this how can NFL owners keep this guy as commish??
Very good point.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've written elsewhere here that Goodell had been anxious to use the Brady/Patriots episode to draw attention away from the very bad year he had dealing with player related domestic abuse and the shameful way in which he handled the NFL's response to the long term effects concussions have had on player's health.

I don't know what Brady or the Patriots did or didn't know, but Deflate-gate happened along just in time to deflect attention away from the voices that were calling for Goodell to man up about the league's real problems or just step away and let someone else do the job he should have been doing all along.

I don't know what the Giants or Vikings or Packers or Cowboys do that they would rather not have us know about, but in my mind one thing is for sure, the future of the League is far more threatened by the League office tolerating domestic violence by its players and torquing medical records to fit their response to the acusations that were being made about traumatic brain injuries then it is by deflated footballs.

I could have tolerated the Brady suspension if Goodell had shown the courage and leadership that has been exhibited by Adam Silver but he's not cut from the same cloth and in the end the League has much more to fear in the way that Goodell has behaved than it has in the antics of the Patriots when preparing for a game
And this movie is coming out soon.

JS

Reaction Score
Prior threads would indicate that we have some real Deflategate junkies around here -- experts in all aspects of the case.

For those interested in reading the full 40 page decision, here it is:

Attachments

• Brady Decision.pdf
    537.4 KB · Views: 36

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
NFL IS going to appeal Judge Berman's decsion to 2nd court of appeals. Apparently they're not going to get an injunction that would uphold the 4 game suspension. Brady should play against Pittsburgh.

Now if the appeal is heard during the season and the NFL wins the appeal, then Brady might start his suspension at that time and what would happen if it was in January. Then Brady might be suspended the last 4 games of the year. That would hurt the Patriots more. Of course Brady and Player's Association would appeal that decision.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You know, I still I think (based on the circumstantial evidence) that the balls probably were intentionally deflated, but they didn't have the right evidence.

Nobody (except maybe the Colts front office) would have cared much if they had just said - "hey, we investigated but we're not 100% sure so just know that we're keeping an eye on this and don't do it again." This whole boondoggle served no purpose and could have been easily avoided.

Instead they went for the 4 game suspension (a huge overreaction) and then completely botched the whole discipline procedure so that it got overturned in court. Given that his ability to arbitrate his own decisions is written into the CBA and that courts don't like to interfere with arbitration, he should be able to do whatever he wants that is at least somewhat fair and supported by the terms of the CBA. The fact that he got overturned shows just how fair out of bounds he had gone.

To that end:

Reaction Score
And this movie is coming out soon.

Can't wait for "Pinocchio" Goodell"s press conferences after this movie comes out. Too bad that Sony's lawyers may have had to cut out a few of the opening scenes.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I'm with Tedy Bruschi, who said earlier today that he's "not satisfied". If the league had been interested in the "integrity of the game" they would have hired a university physics department to monitor football PSI during the season and published a report showing the results. Instead, what the league chose to do was leak false information, partial text message transcripts that altered their meaning and launched an impartial independent investigation that was neither impartial or independent. I'm convinced a year long independent study would show conclusively that absolutely nothing happened beyond weather, but if it had showed tampering occurred the league could have taken action then with real science to back up their investigation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Roger Goodell is now 0-3 in court. Loser is as loser does.

HGN

Reaction Score
Unbelievable really. The League knows /believes it has a case. But I guess it gets down to what you can prove..... And not what you think you know.

toadfoot

Reaction Score
Unbelievable really. The League knows /believes it has a case. But I guess it gets down to what you can prove..... And not what you think you know.

I don't think the league knows or believes any such thing. Even the flawed, seriously flawed, Wells Report concedes that if Anderson used the gauge he claims he used that no unexplained deflation occurred. At this point I think Goodell, Kensil and others in the league office are acting out of malice and a misguided attempt to save face. Not to go overboard with the conspiracy theories, but let's not forget that several prominent members of the of the commissioners band of brothers are former Jets officials and it's no great secret that Kensil despises both Belicheck and Kraft.

toadfoot

Reaction Score

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Roger Goodell is now 0-3 in court. Loser is as loser does.

And 0-5 in disputes. They are appealing this one, and if it holds up, he'll be 0-6. At some point, you have to do some self examination.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
NFL IS going to appeal Judge Berman's decsion to 2nd court of appeals. Apparently they're not going to get an injunction that would uphold the 4 game suspension. Brady should play against Pittsburgh.

Now if the appeal is heard during the season and the NFL wins the appeal, then Brady might start his suspension at that time and what would happen if it was in January. Then Brady might be suspended the last 4 games of the year. That would hurt the Patriots more. Of course Brady and Player's Association would appeal that decision.

Either the hearing or the ruling will definitely get pushed out to the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom