OT:Apple iPhone Maps Question | The Boneyard

OT:Apple iPhone Maps Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been holding off on upgrading my iPhone because of all the bad things I'd heard about the navigation app on the iPhone 5. At this point, my old iPhone has gotten so slow and has begun doing weird things, so I've got to upgrade.

Does anyone know if the problems with the maps app have been fixed? I do alot of traveling for work and rely on the nav system on my phone alot. I've also heard that you can download the Google Maps app for free to the iPhone 5. Has anyone done this? How did it work out?

Also, is the wifi hotspot app on the iPhone 5 reliable? That's something I could see making alot a use of with my lap top if its reliable.

Thanks all for your help!

(I'm not looking for a debate on whether there are phones better then the iPhone. I'm committed to iPhone. Thanks.)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Google Maps app has been out for a while in the App Store. The Apple Maps app seems less crappy than before, but I still use Google Maps when Im really pressed for time and am going someplace totally unfamiliar.

You can upgrade and go with Google Maps just fine.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Apple maps is serviceable and works well with Siri/turn by turn directions (need an IPhone 4S or later for Siri). It has some bugs and lacks the databank of points of interest, but it gets you to where you want to go most of the time and the interface is smooth.

I also have the "new" google maps app though i just rely on apple maps. I use Google maps for NYC subway, etc.

Reaction Score
The addition of Apple Maps didn't impact any nav app as far as I know. People were pissed b/c Apple got rid of the native Google Maps app, but that wasn't really a nav app. Google made an app pretty quickly and added turn-by-turn nav (to piss off Apple). It's good. I haven't really used Apple Maps b/c of the problems that were reported. I actually use Waze (also a free app, that was just bought by Google) over Google and Apple. The Apple Maps thing was overblown (and I'm not a huge Apple fan) and quickly became a non-issue with other apps available.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Apple's navigation app is fine. The Google nav app is fine as is my kind-of-favorite, Waze - those two hit the battery harder, though.

If I'm just driving somewhere and want real-time traffic and road conditions, Waze simply cannot be beaten. There are so many folks using it that even speed traps are quickly posted.

If I'm on a long trip and need navigation, I use Apple's navigation - looks nice, directions pop into the lock screen, doesn't crush the battery.

If I need to find something quickly, I'll usually Google the address and then let it use the Google navigation app to get there.

Reaction Score
I have the iPhone 4, not even the 4S and I use the Google Maps app a lot.

If that's not good enough for you, I would also suggest trying out Waze. It's a social GPS where other users give out alerts on police radar or accidents or traffic jams. I have used both and I'm always fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom