OT--another five star to UK | The Boneyard

OT--another five star to UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Huskieforlife

At this point, there needs to be some kind of evidance that cal is cheating. :confused:

Reaction Score
At this point, there needs to be some kind of evidance that cal is cheating. :confused:

it seems that you spend 750 million dollars on dorms, practice estates, and locker rooms you get the best kids:)

Reaction Score
I'm thinking something fishy is going on but maybe we just have to accept kids want to be 1 and done. No better place to maximize your visibility then at Kentucky right now. I hate it. However, I do enjoy Geno getting all the top recruits as well. Not comparing the two coaches (wouldn't do that disservice to Geno), but top recruiting classes are becoming norm for those two.

Reaction Score
The kids that pledge to Calamari and go pro would have gone anyway. That's obvious. Top ten kids know they are going pro no matter what, so the Kentucky program is perfect - no expectations for academics, no expectation of loyalty, full espn obsession and media coverage, and you will (in theory) get to start right away. Kentucky and Cal are the epitome of what is wrong with college sports, yet they are operating within the rules (again, in theory) and have the best sales pitch to top ten kids. I hate them, but they know what they're doing and doing it well.

H

Huskieforlife

I'm thinking something fishy is going on but maybe we just have to accept kids want to be 1 and done. No better place to maximize your visibility then at Kentucky right now. I hate it. However, I do enjoy Geno getting all the top recruits as well. Not comparing the two coaches (wouldn't do that disservice to Geno), but top recruiting classes are becoming norm for those two.
i agree with everything you said..... but i hate it :mad:

The kids that pledge to Calamari and go pro would have gone anyway. That's obvious. Top ten kids know they are going pro no matter what, so the Kentucky program is perfect - no expectations for academics, no expectation of loyalty, full espn obsession and media coverage, and you will (in theory) get to start right away. Kentucky and Cal are the epitome of what is wrong with college sports, yet they are operating within the rules (again, in theory) and have the best sales pitch to top ten kids. I hate them, but they know what they're doing and doing it well.
again all true. i just hate the fact that while i think its obvious that there cheating, at some point they really wont have to cheat to convice recruits its smart to go there.:(

Reaction Score
wow thats a crazy class. might make the fab five look like a jv team. world wide wes. nuff said. that guy wreaks of snake oil.

Reaction Score
“Coach Cal, Coach O [Orlando Antigua] and Coach [Kenny] Payne were honest with me; they told me this is a place where I’m going to need to eventually get to the NBA in order to make more money than I can while in college but for now me and my family will be very comfortable and will always nave a new car for my entire career at UK.” Johnson, who reclassified to 2013 from 2014, said on ESPNU after picking Kentucky over Georgetown and Syracuse. “I want to win a national championship in high school and in college, but most importantly I want my family to have plenty of money and toys so that's why I chose UK.”;)

Reaction Score
This is what the APR has brought us. I said it 2 years ago, and now it's obvious that the APR is what allows this. Calipari has all the cover he wants. Sham of education? No. Kentucky has high APRs.

And the NCAA is happy too.

Harvard? Crappy APRs, what are they doing in Cambridge? Kentucky, great APRs.

Reaction Score
Do me a favor and spend 10 seconds on this post instead of the 2 seconds you normally spend on mine, and read this simple explanation of APR.

Every player gets 1 point for returning to campus each semester, and 1 point for staying eligible (total of 4 possible points a year, with exemptions for transfers and leaving for the pros).

Since you're in violation of your scholarship if you're ineligible for 2 semesters, why are they doubling up the possible points for accomplishing the same thing?

It's like saying I get 1 point for tying my shoe, and 1 point for keeping my shoe tied.

Reaction Score
one and done does not hurt apr if they pass and take finals... uconn had players leave for the nba camps or transfer without taking finals.. very simple.

Reaction Score
one and done does not hurt apr if they pass and take finals... uconn had players leave for the nba camps or transfer without taking finals.. very simple.

I guess we have no choice but to believe Cousins, Wall and all the others took their finals (themselves) and passed huh?:eek:

Reaction Score
Wonder what the going rate in 2013 for the (1978) $100 handshake(Givens and Phillips and Company) at UK is now?

Reaction Score

You're assuming they have to pass and take finals. They don't. If you fill your intersessions with courses (3 in August, 1 around the holidays) they will have a full year's credits and merely need half-semester courses in the spring or 2 semester courses (to remain full-time students). Remember, Emeka took 1 course in the spring because he had overloaded on credits prior. That's why the APR is misleading. You don't need to advance toward a degree (which would require more work during both fall and spring semester courses) since intersession courses are rarely upper level requirements.

Reaction Score
You're assuming they have to pass and take finals. They don't. If you fill your intersessions with courses (3 in August, 1 around the holidays) they will have a full year's credits and merely need half-semester courses in the spring or 2 semester courses (to remain full-time students). Remember, Emeka took 1 course in the spring because he had overloaded on credits prior. That's why the APR is misleading. You don't need to advance toward a degree (which would require more work during both fall and spring semester courses) since intersession courses are rarely upper level requirements.

There better be different expectations of incoming frosh despite their NBA dreams........

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The line that the Squid sells recruits is "my number one goal is for you to get to the NBA". He will actually push kids out the door to keep this happening rather than encourage kids to stay for the overall benefit of the team and the program. He will encourage offensive schemes that may not be the best for the team but are better to showcase the individual talents of the players.
Early on at Kentucky and certainly at Memohis the cheating was rampant. (WWW taking kids on jet flights, meeting LBJ, falsifying SAT scores etc.).
Now he doesn't need to cheat, at least he won't cheat in any way that it would be easy to get caught!
Kentucky alums are lining up left and right to pamper basket ball players with special dorms and practice facilities (of course he says these facilities are available to other students....another slimeball lie!).
Personally, I would rather have players who care about the program and want to improve themselves, not egocentric jerks who go somewhere expecting only one year and being served bu the coach)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom