OT Alternative to Windows 10 and MS Office | The Boneyard

OT Alternative to Windows 10 and MS Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been using Office and Win 7 and loved it, recently downloaded Windows 10 and it's not an easy transition for me. My Laptop went from stable to jumpy and can't fix it.
I have been for a few years using Ubuntu with Libre Office (almost MS Office and compatible. Recently I loaded Zorin 10 with Libre Office. It is a Linux Operating System. It takes a bit of time to load and install but once installed it is easy to use and resembles an updated Windows 7. Libre Office seamlessly runs my Excel and MS Word applications easily, and to correct, modify and it works with both systems.
You can load it so that Zorin 10 or MS Win 7 or 10 or 8.1 can be used either-or. Use Zorin when you want or MS Win when you want.

Kicker is Zorin 10 and Libre Office can be down loaded from the Web for free and updates are free--no cut off date (like MS 7 year policy). You can buy them from Ebay for less than 7 dollar including shipping on a disk. Google Zorin 10 and it is there.

I'm no expert but my experience was so good I wanted to share it with you.

I welcome negative views on Zorin 10 and or Libre Office--I like learning..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went from W7 to W10 and after a few days had internet connection issues. I was able to go back to W7 because it was within a month since I left.

Reaction Score
I went from W7 to W10 and after a few days had internet connection issues. I was able to go back to W7 because it was within a month since I left.
I worked to hard and too long to make MS Win 10 work to go back---@#$!$ it.
If you like Win 7 I think you'd like Zorin 10 with Libre Office---I like it.
Thanks for the comment.

Reaction Score
I returned to W7 after having multiple internet and NAS connection problems. No problems now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Was unable to get Windows 10 to load on my desktop after search for all sorts of updates, it still kept crashing on the install, so I may look into Zorin 10.
I do find the older I get the less adaptable I am to new operating system changes. Heck, I find the updates to ESPNs web site infuriating! And I now have an Mac laptop and getting my head around apple/windows differences is slowly driving me insane!!! :eek::confused::)

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Can you run Visual Studio or SQL Server on Zorin 10

Reaction Score
I have had the opposite experience. Two laptops and one 5 year old desktop updated to Win 10 and definitely running better than Win 7.
The two laptops updated with zero trouble. The desktop gave me a problem until I logged in to my administrator account. It was not enough to give the administrator password when I got a message saying it was needed. I had to actually log into the admin account.

p.s. I have run the free UBUNTU Linux and liked it a lot. User friendly with oodles of free software. I reverted to Windows because there are some special programs I run which are only available on Windows. If you do not need oddball stuff such as Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) or Visual Studio, a good Linux OS, such as UBUNTU, will give you snappy performance and will squeeze a longer life out of an older PC.

p.p.s. I have not tried Zorin, so I can't comment. I did wonder what happened to him after he stopped fighting Mexican bad guys. Is his sidekick still with him? Do you need a mask and sword to run his OS?

Reaction Score
Just want to share.
1. Libre Office is very good in Windows. Has capability to link to the internet to update stock price. So if you are into spreadsheet and investment, that is a huge plus. MS Office used to have the same capability for years but no longer have that query option.
2. Windows 10 is very good. Better than 7 or 8 by far. There are better ways to install/upgrade it than the auto update. There is a MS Media Creation Tool to create USB or DVD for Win10 which will make the install much easier.
3. Ubuntu is also very good, but like Harry mentioned, there are programs which only run in windows so windows is a must for some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom