OT: Adults and Twitter,IG etc. | The Boneyard

OT: Adults and Twitter,IG etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Question BYers what are your thoughts on older non news media adults commenting on teenagers twitter etc.

Example: teenagers makes a tweet about there BF/GF and a 55 yr old person replies to the tweet with a comment, or teenager tweets I'm in Cali on vacation and post a "selfie" and older adult replies to tweet

I don't think it's appropriate

Reaction Score
I say it is creepy, but when you put that stuff out there in public cybersphere, you can't really control who will respond. That is why I am not a twit. Tweet? Tweeter? Whatever.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Question BYers what are your thoughts on older non news media adults commenting on teenagers twitter etc.

Example: teenagers makes a tweet about there BF/GF and a 55 yr old person replies to the tweet with a comment, or teenager tweets I'm in Cali on vacation and post a "selfie" and older adult replies to tweet

Agree

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I say it is creepy, but )when you put that stuff out there in public cybersphere, you can't really control who will respond. That is why I am not a twit. Tweet? Tweeter? Whatever.
Although, there are plenty of Twitter feeds that you can follow that are NOT creepy. For example, Arizona Softball tweets the scoring and such during the game, really the only way to follow, often; also, my wife gets tweets from a number of quite public folks who (clearly) use twitter to disseminate info, not for personal things, for example, CVS (does anyone think she "really" tweets herself?).

I don't have an account, but my wife does, however, she doesn't follow any student athletes or such. She also tweets extremely rarely. When I use it for softball scores, for example, I click on the link on the Arizona Softball Home Page.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't think "creepy" is the right word but there is something off when a male social security recipient is hanging on every word posted by some 18 y/o girl.

Om second thought - maybe creepy is the right word.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I don't think it's appropriate[/QUOTE]

How about if you reply to the twitter of God?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

If you are a total stranger, yeah, it's downright creepy and not appropriate. However, I was friended by a bunch of my nieces buddies who chat me up all the time, and I comment on their posts (FB) not often but from time to time, usually teasing when they are being silly or offering comfort when they are blue. I think that's ok.

Reaction Score
Obviously there are exceptions for people who know other people, including young ones. But as for myself, I'd rather be caught dead than follow the tweets of a 20-year-old athlete, even if I am a legitimate fan of that athlete. I don't need to know and I don't want to know.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Anyone who refuses to get involved with twitter is an old fogie. I are one.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Obviously there are exceptions for people who know other people, including young ones. But as for myself, I'd rather be caught dead than follow the tweets of a 20-year-old athlete, even if I am a legitimate fan of that athlete. I don't need to know and I don't want to know.

the OP was not specific.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I do think it is creepy for ol' fahts like myself to engage these young ones on social media.

A personal note: I've made my career creating the backbone of the digital world upon which developers have built the social media world you know. My best wish for myself in my retirement is to live free & far from the reach of digital technology. I am Luddite and I approve this message!

Ol' Boo's goin' fishing

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yeah, replying on twitter to someone you don't actually know is weird UNLESS they are openly soliciting info. e.g. "in Chicago tonight, what restaurant should I go to?"

I follow several ND players on twitter but would never tweet them or reply to a tweet. The slight exception is that I did tweet K-Mac once to thank her for representing Erie, PA so well. I don't think there's anything wrong or weird about an occasional congratulations or expression of support. Also, I'm 26. I might feel different about it if I were 56.

And I don't think there's anything strange about following your team's players. Most twitter users want as many followers as possible and they know that fans are among them, so they don't tweet anything that's too personal for fans to know. The bigger barrier is that that teenagers often don't have anything interesting to say.

Reaction Score

It's kinda strange but they can remove/delete the reply if they don't want to see it then block the person, can't they?

Why do you ask? Are you following at a teenager's Twitter account? The guy's right- they wouldn't seem to be interesting enough for me to read them.

FLhuskey

Toyota FJ Cruiser !
Reaction Score
With a Twitter account you can "follow" different things and get updates on those things - Like a local police department somewhere, the Mt Washington Cog Railroad, (or auto road), favorite broadcast shows (in other countries), franchise businesses, favorite author or publisher --- Twitter can be used as another source of data for your interests (and you do not have to respond or post either) And the same can be applied to Facebook too, but Facebook is not as easy to screen through the updates as twitter.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Anyone can protect their tweets and screen their followers. It is up to the individual as to whether they want to protect them or open them to the world.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I do think it is creepy for ol' fahts like myself to engage these young ones on social media.

A personal note: I've made my career creating the backbone of the digital world upon which developers have built the social media world you know. My best wish for myself in my retirement is to live free & far from the reach of digital technology. I am Luddite and I approve this message!

Ol' Boo's goin' fishing

Me too. Most of last week was spent putting a bit of hurt on the Lake Champlain smallmouth population.

I spent most of my working life involved with technology. After I retired I cancelled my cell phone, quit wearing a watch and I refuse to be attached to an I - anything. I'm not a true Luddite though. I love my power tools too much and I have to have a big screen to watch the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Twitter! - back fence gossip! - guess I am an old fogy too for ignoring all of these "social" communication contacts.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I don't believe it's a matter of the mechanics of Social Media. It's adults following and commenting on the Social Media Accounts of teenagers that is just wrong. Teams have websites and Social Media Accounts if you as a fan want to follow a particular player. But following a player or recruit is just plain wrong. They have lives outside of the sport and so should fans. Why would I or should I care about the personal and private musings of an 17-20 year old, especially the female athletes that's increasingly creepy!!

Reaction Score
Me too. Most of last week was spent putting a bit of hurt on the Lake Champlain smallmouth population.

I spent most of my working life involved with technology. After I retired I cancelled my cell phone, quit wearing a watch and I refuse to be attached to an I - anything. I'm not a true Luddite though. I love my power tools too much and I have to have a big screen to watch the Huskies.

Did you see Champ? LOL

Reaction Score
I don't believe it's a matter of the mechanics of Social Media. It's adults following and commenting on the Social Media Accounts of teenagers that is just wrong. Teams have websites and Social Media Accounts if you as a fan want to follow a particular player. But following a player or recruit is just plain wrong. They have lives outside of the sport and so should fans. Why would I or should I care about the personal and private musings of an 17-20 year old, especially the female athletes that's increasingly creepy!!
If they don't want the world to know what they're doing then they shouldn't post on a Twitter. If they post on a Twitter then they must want the attention.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
If they don't want the world to know what they're doing then they shouldn't post on a Twitter. If they post on a Twitter then they must want the attention.

No, that's not exactly right, either. They're people and they get to have lives and use Twitter and do what any other high school or college student does. Yes, they have to be mindful of their public position but tweeting doesn't mean they want the attention.

On the original point, yeah, totally creepy for an older male to reply to a tweet from a young woman he doesn't know.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I just dont like how anyone that doesnt know the kid assume and/or twist their tweets to something they know nothing about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom