OT: A UVa fan bluffs his way through the ACC title game | The Boneyard

OT: A UVa fan bluffs his way through the ACC title game

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
From the crazy, stupid, ballsy but rewarded ideas department:

A buddy of mine from college left the bars of boston after closing, scaled a chainlink fence in the alley off landsdown, hid in a broom closet for the better part of a day and emerged to see game 1 of the 2004 world series for free. He wandered until he found an open seat and sat in it undisturbed from the third inning on.

If anyone else in the world told me this story, I would categorically dismiss it. But if you knew this guy, you would know that it is 100% true.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well no is doubting that kid's testiculos. I once did something similar and walked onto a movie set.

Reaction Score

this isnt really college basketball related but its a dude showing how easy he snuck into the front row of a pacquiao fight. Pretty interesting

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I've been playing this game for years. Got into many sold out grateful dead shows in my younger days using variations of this method. Snuck into 4 shows in a row at Berkeley community theater ( tiny place so it was way sold out) in California by putting on a tattered sports coat and buying a 1.99 flashlight at a hardware store, and being let in as an usher. Bill Graham presents used hippie ushers anyway, it was a piece of cake.

It's still in my blood to this day, I can't resist. I frequently travel for my day job and when I fly I wait for everyone to board and get on plane last. As I walk through first class if there is an empty seat I just act like it's mine and sit in it. I've literally done this at least 25 times, only got called on it once and stewardess let me stay anyway.
Free drinks. Better snacks. Well worth it.

Reaction Score
I've been playing this game for years. Got into many sold out grateful dead shows in my younger days using variations of this method. Snuck into 4 shows in a row at Berkeley community theater ( tiny place so it was way sold out) in California by putting on a tattered sports coat and buying a 1.99 flashlight at a hardware store, and being let in as an usher. Bill Graham presents used hippie ushers anyway, it was a piece of cake.

It's still in my blood to this day, I can't resist. I frequently travel for my day job and when I fly I wait for everyone to board and get on plane last. As I walk through first class if there is an empty seat I just act like it's mine and sit in it. I've literally done this at least 25 times, only got called on it once and stewardess let me stay anyway.
Free drinks. Better snacks. Well worth it.

don't know which story is cooler...

August_West

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
don't know which story is cooler...

My dad was the master. I learned from him. He used to take me and my brothers to wrestling matches and Walk us right from our arena seats straight into the dressing rooms past like 3 levels of security and no one EVER stopped him. If someone said something he would say " I work for WWF. " that's all. He was like a freakin Jedi.

I grew up going to shea stadium seeing Namath ( my idol) play for the jets. My dad and his buddies had season tickets and usually one of the group would miss a game so I always got to go. Well there was a game near the end of a season where The bills were visiting and OJ Simpson was trying to break the 2000 yard mark, the first RB to do it.
My dad didn't want me to miss a piece of history but everyone was using their tickets and the game was totally sold because of OJ.

My dad and his buddies pulled the old 3 for 2 ticket scam to get me in.

This entailed going through the same turnstile. First guy goes in gets his ticket ripped, and as he is entering he passes his ripped stub back to my father, while my father is getting his ticket ripped.
My father then enters and i walk through the turnstile ticketless, the ticket taker stops me asks me for ticket, my father turns around with two stubs in his hand and says " I just gave you two tickets for me and my son"

Bam, I was in Shea and saw OJ make history.

I was 6 years old.

I remembered that trick and used it quite a few times later in life, not always successful, but maybe 75%.

It may sound scummy or stealing but that was a different time. My father was a hard working honest guy on the whole.

Reaction Score
My dad was the master. I learned from him. He used to take me and my brothers to wrestling matches and Walk us right from our arena seats straight into the dressing rooms past like 3 levels of security and no one EVER stopped him. If someone said something he would say " I work for WWF. " that's all. He was like a freakin Jedi.

I grew up going to shea stadium seeing Namath ( my idol) play for the jets. My dad and his buddies had season tickets and usually one of the group would miss a game so I always got to go. Well there was a game near the end of a season where The bills were visiting and OJ Simpson was trying to break the 2000 yard mark, the first RB to do it.
My dad didn't want me to miss a piece of history but everyone was using their tickets and the game was totally sold because of OJ.

This entailed going through the same turnstile. First guy goes in gets his ticket ripped, and as he is entering he passes his ripped stub back to my father, while my father is getting his ticket ripped.
My father then enters and i walk through the turnstile ticketless, the ticket taker stops me asks me for ticket, my father turns around with two stubs in his hand and says " I just gave you two tickets for me and my son"

I was 6 years old.

I remembered that trick and used it quite a few times later in life, not always successful, but maybe 75%.

It may sound scummy or stealing but that was a different time. My father was a hard working honest guy on the whole.

people like you are why everything in this country is so f uc king expensive. Everyone needs to jack their prices to cover freeloaders like you.

Reaction Score

I was 6 years old.

Your father is a legend cant believe i havent thought about these tricks. Sure ive moved up from nosebleed seats to front row but nothing comes close to this

Reaction Score
John said:
people like you are why everything in this country is so f uc king expensive. Everyone needs to jack their prices to cover freeloaders like you.

I hope you are kidding.

Reaction Score

Uptight much?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Definitely done similar, but I'm a piker compared to this kid and August. Best for me was sneaking into a sold-out (and then some) all-star show at the Great American Music Hall in '89 or '90 featuring John Lee Hooker with Bonnie Raitt, Charlie Musselwhite, Roy Rogers, Robert Cray, Carlos Santana and Ry Cooder. Tightest ticket ever. Pouring rain outside and I was wearing a bright yellow, hooded rain coat that my uncle gave me from his days as a utility worker. As I rounded the rear of the building looking for any way in, I came upon a crew loading in some equipment and I quickly realized they were wearing the same type of jacket that I had. They looked at me like I belonged and one of them gestured to me to help him with some large piece (it was being filmed, so there was all sorts of stuff being hauled in). Next thing I knew I was backstage.

Unfortunately for me, I had no idea where I was or how to get to the front of the house; and I couldn't go back and keep helping the guys because I had no idea what I was doing. I started to wander around and got figured out pretty quickly by one of the GAMH staff, and I was back outside before I knew it. I was so gnikcvf pissed at myself for screwing it up. I went back outside the front of the theater and paced, steamed and begged and pleaded with anyone to get me in.

Finally, as the crowd of others looking for a break thinned to the point when it was just me and a few others, the dude who was standing next to the dude who kicked me out came outside and handed me a ticket. He told me to wait ten minutes, enter through the far door, go upstairs and stand near the bar by the balcony. That's exactly what I did, and it was a great view and an outstanding show. Never saw the guy again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bill Graham presents used hippie ushers anyway, it was a piece of cake.
True. I was one of them for a year at the Warfield. Black pants, white shirt, flashlight. Best. Deal. Ever. If there was an opener you got to cut out at the break; if not, you got to cut out after the second song. Either way, you got two free drink tickets and you could go anywhere in the house, including the floor. Saw three JGB shows every month and lots of others.

August_West

Reaction Score
8893 said:
True. I was one of them for a year at the Warfield. Black pants, white shirt, flashlight. Best. Deal. Ever. If there was an opener you got to cut out at the break; if not, you got to cut out after the second song. Either way, you got two free drink tickets and you could go anywhere in the house, including the floor. Saw three JGB shows every month and lots of others.

Man, 8893 . Loved the warfield, JGB shows there were the best, and you mentioned GAMH too, you're making miss the Bay Area real bad.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Nonsense. Don't give me that different time BS. That stuff is great. You're dad is a legend. Anyone who poopoo's that has their panties in a bunch.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
"He celebrated with the players as confetti blew, was handed his ACC champion hat and T-shirt by the team manager, and made sure to get into the handshake line."

Wow, that is incredibly champ

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The absolute ballsiest part of that is when he joined the team huddle during a time out. I mean, look at him standing there.

A very, very close second is when he shook Coach K's hand.

That kid is not wired like the rest of us.

Reaction Score
In 2008, UConn played Memphis in a preseason tournament at MSG. Before the game, I won some trivia contest and got a free ESPN Magazine with Derrick Rose on the cover. These kinds of tournaments always have two games, and in between the games a friend and I saw the usher for one of the lower sections leave. We took the opportunity and snuck down. Before tipoff, we went to the usher for the section and asked if he wanted us to get him any food. He said no, but now he recognized us. We were then able to get my dad and other friend into this section when we returned with food. Next thing we knew we were third row, mid-court at the most famous basketball arena in the world watching our beloved Huskies. What's more, at halftime we got Derrick Rose to sign the ESPN Magazine I had earlier won. UConn lost the game, but I had never had such a good time during a loss.

This is just one of the many experiences I've had that's turned me into the obsessive UConn basketball fan I am today.

August_West

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
One time I wore an ARod jersey to Yankee Stadium - I went 0-5, but I nailed Kate Hudson.

#winning

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Uh, no, but I'm pretty sure that such thoughts are probably in the Roger Ailes/Ken Langone playbook.

Reaction Score
Its amazing what a suit and tie will do for you. Back in the old days when I was at UConn a couple of guys had been given tickets to UConn St Johns by someone's father. Great, courtside seats. I went down with them and had a crappy seat. Actually it was in the last row of the Garden. They didn't even have real seats there at the time. More like padded folding chairs. Anyway, I wore a suit and actually got a haircut. Walked down to where they were sitting during the introductions and sat in an empty seat next to them. another guy came in a few minutes later with a ticket for "my" seat. The usher demanded to see my biddies' tickets but not mine! Watched the whole game. I don't know what happened to the guy withthe real ticket. Guess they got him a seat elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom