Oregon Lands A Big One from Germany | The Boneyard

Oregon Lands A Big One from Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Good pick up for the Ducks. Hiring Kelly Graves was a big deal imo for Oregon. He had Gonzaga in the NCAA for years and they scored some upsets. Now that he has a Power5 school I expect great things. He will have the Ducks relevant in the PAC12 and WCBB.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nice get for the Ducks. They're going to need it because the Pac-12 is loaded. I still think their in-state rivals are going to hand them their butts this and next year, nonetheless Stanford. Cal, USC and the Washington's didn't get any worse either.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Nice get for the Ducks. They're going to need it because the Pac-12 is loaded. I still think their in-state rivals are going to hand them their butts this and next year, nonetheless Stanford. Cal, USC and the Washington's didn't get any worse either.

This is very true and that league gets better every year. Don't forget UCLA and Arizona State who's better than average more often than not.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is it a changing of the guard? Tennessee, Stanford, Rutgers, North Carolina down; Louisville, Oregon, Baylor, Texas, UCLA up?

Don't forget that Stanford put 90 on ND in the NCAAs. Your other downs have been dead meat for a while now. Baylor has been eating red meat for a while too. UCLA is still in a show me as far as I'm concerned. Texas and Oregon definitely have the mo going on.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
7 post and no mention of her name... good stuff!

hate clicking on links, share the important stuff and provide the link at the same dang time lol

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

On Friday, Oregon landed 6-foot-4 wing Satou Sabally, out of Berlin, Germany (How's that Daddy C?). She averaged 20.1 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game at the 2014 FIBA U16 European Championships.
OK, that's fine. How'd she do the last two years in 2015 & 2016? "This class, from day one, was the class we wanted to crush," Oregon coach Kelly Graves told The Oregonian. "We focused on the 2016 recruiting class and knew it was the class that could define our program. It's great to see it come through."

The writer of the article (Andrew Nemec of the Oregonian) make's it sound like the 2017 Oregon squad will emerge as the new "neighborhood bully" of the Pac 12, and should be taken very seriously.
As mentioned by other posters, UCLA, Arizona St. and Stanford have not gotten any worse by the way. They've beefed up their respective rosters as have other other Pacific 12 schools.
Before the Ducks can climb the Empire State Building and beat their chests (King Kong), they must establish a league wide dominance first, then focus on the national scene.

Bringing in top rated/ranked talent is wonderful for the Duck program, but let's see if that roster can pass the "eye" test. Can they score when they want to, and make stops on the other end when they need to?
How effectively can they impose their will on others? That's the rub. Let's see if Coach Graves and his staff can blend all of them together into a cohesive unit that can run the floor, and dominate both ends nightly.

Remember, UCLA had the top ranked recruiting class in the country two years ago. How'd that work out for them? Not a blip on the national radar. Color me a bit skeptical at this point. Let's see how this "program defining class" finishes the 2016-2017 season. If they make it to the sweet 16, it would be fair to say that they had a successful year, and I'll tip my turban to them. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it a changing of the guard? Tennessee, Stanford, Rutgers, North Carolina down; Louisville, Oregon, Baylor, Texas, UCLA up?
It's the changing of the 1st place losers. UCONN>> Everyone else

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Don't forget to bring your umbrellas ladies....

In terms of total rainfall, it rains more in ...

you know what? Let's leave that piece of trivia unspoken just in case UConn recruits don't want to go to a rainy place :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
On Friday, Oregon landed 6-foot-4 wing Satou Sabally, out of Berlin, Germany (How's that Daddy C?). She averaged 20.1 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game at the 2014 FIBA U16 European Championships.
:cool:
2940588-7647781916-687474703a2f2f7374617469632e636f6d696376696e652e636f6d2f75706c6f6164732f6f726967696e616c2f31313131332f3131313133393733302f333734373537352d373130333735313236372d77686f7364616d616e2e6a70672d3434393737386431333833343134343535

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK, that's fine. How'd she do the last two years in 2015 & 2016? "This class, from day one, was the class we wanted to crush," Oregon coach Kelly Graves told The Oregonian. "We focused on the 2016 recruiting class and knew it was the class that could define our program. It's great to see it come through."

The writer of the article (Andrew Nemec of the Oregonian) make's it sound like the 2017 Oregon squad will emerge as the new "neighborhood bully" of the Pac 12, and should be taken very seriously.
As mentioned by other posters, UCLA, Arizona St. and Stanford have not gotten any worse by the way. They've beefed up their respective rosters as have other other Pacific 12 schools.
Before the Ducks can climb the Empire State Building and beat their chests (King Kong), they must establish a league wide dominance first, then focus on the national scene.

Bringing in top rated/ranked talent is wonderful for the Duck program, but let's see if that roster can pass the "eye" test. Can they score when they want to, and make stops on the other end when they need to?
How effectively can they impose their will on others? That's the rub. Let's see if Coach Graves and his staff can blend all of them together into a cohesive unit that can run the floor, and dominate both ends nightly.

Remember, UCLA had the top ranked recruiting class in the country two years ago. How'd that work out for them? Not a blip on the national radar. Color me a bit skeptical at this point. Let's see how this "program defining class" finishes the 2016-2017 season. If they make it to the sweet 16, it would be fair to say that they had a successful year, and I'll tip my turban to them. :cool:
@Carnac I'm not sure how you could go 4 paragraphs talking about the relative strength of the Pac 12 and no mention either of the two Final Four Teams from 2016.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is very true and that league gets better every year. Don't forget UCLA and Arizona State who's better than average more often than not.
Yeah. Well, Dawn still takes them this year, improved or not.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I think 2017-18 might be a more accurate yardstick for this team. Graves is a very good coach with a proven track record, but 2016-17 will be only his second year in Eugene, and this year's roster includes 7 freshmen and 3 sophomores. There are two junior transfers, neither of whom played last year + 2 seniors (also transfers). The only returning starter is a junior.

Reaction Score

Disagree, the top ranked recruiting class (or #2, depending on which service, I'm pretty sure ASGR and BS had UConn at #1) won the NIT the first year, then was a Top 15 team, made the S16 and played Texas pretty tough their 2nd year. I think thats a very good trajectory, considering outside of Nirra Fields, did they have a Top recruit in other class? Ideally, UCLA should hopefully be a Top 10/E8 this year and a F4 contender next year. I think landing a top recruiting class, and having that class go to a F4 would be a successful class, especially, if they do not already have great players in the roster. CAL had one of the top classes (was either CAL or Baylor depending on service) a few years back, and that class took them to a F4.

The problem with UCLA is that they while they got some solid players in the 2015 and 2016 (and 2013), I'm not seeing a big star that elevate this class.

How would UConn had looked the past years if the 2012 class was something like Peyton Little, Xylina McDaniel, and Bria Holmes (I think those were also the targets that year) instead of Stewie, Mo and Tuck? And UConn has the luxury of having other top flight recruits (KML, Williams, Nurse) in past classes. Of course I think Geno is a much better coach and coaching plays a part (Tennesse, Duke), but swap those 3 players and I'm not sure we win any (possibly Bria/Stef's senior year).

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
@Carnac I'm not sure how you could go 4 paragraphs talking about the relative strength of the Pac 12 and no mention either of the two Final Four Teams from 2016.

I was able to because we EXPECT Washington and Oregon State to be great again this season. We don't expect them to fall out of the lime light in one season. I (we) expect them to be at the top of the Pac 12 standings all year, and go deep into the tournament. What we don't know is who (if any) of the other Pac 12 schools are going to show any improvement, flex their muscles, or draw attention to their program and the Pac 12.

We don't know IF UCLA, and their #1 class of 2 years ago will finally play up to the potential they were expected to when they were signed We don't know if USC (6-12 in conference) will stumble of the of blocks again this year, or come out like a team possessed, kicking a** and taking names.

The Trojans have 4 incoming freshmen this year: A 5 star - 6-1 wing - Valerie Higgins (Chaminade Prep, CA), 4 star 6-1 wing Ja'Tavia Tapley (University Christian, FL), 3 star 6-2 post Asiah Jones (Woodmont, SC) and 3 star 5-7 pg Minyon Moore (Salesian HS,CA). They lost their leading scorer Temi Fagbenle to graduation. They'll have UConn transfer Sadie Edwards available for the entire season this year. We'll see if this infusion of fresh new talent can make a difference in the Trojans fortunes this season.

Utah
went virtually unseen last year, finishing 7th in conference (8-10) finishing 18-15, and failing to make the tournament. Arizona (3-15/13-19) was horrible last year, and Colorado (2-16/7-23 - worse record in the Pac 12), wasn't any better. Maybe I misread the article. It sounded little more than sabre rattling to me. I'll wait until the season starts, and Oregon has played 5 non exhibition games before I form an opinion on them.

I assumed (and maybe I should not have) that that was understood, and need not be mentioned. Thanks for the heads up. I''ll try and not make those assumptions in future posts. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Thanks DaddyC. Oddly enough, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Davis when I was in College in the early 70's. He came to our campus for a presentation, and I was assigned to assist him during his visit. I had the chance to chat with him briefly. He was a very gracious and personable man. I'll always remember that encounter. :)

Reaction Score

That passing of the Guard has passed. Lullyville, Oregon, Baylor, Tx, and UCLA have been standing at the door of an NCAA final/NC for the last 5 or so years. Oregon and UCLA are teams I welcome. Baylor had their shot of 4 NC;s with Griner--what happened?????
Lullyville beat Griner (physically beat her) and still no NC--what happened?????? Texas the really really big state their WBB coach thinks that really really big women is the right way to go--REALLY???

Reaction Score
Thanks DaddyC. Oddly enough, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Davis when I was in College in the early 70's. He came to our campus for a presentation, and I was assigned to assist him during his visit. I had the chance to chat with him briefly. He was a very gracious and personable man. I'll always remember that encounter. :)
The CANDY man was probably the most all around musical talent ever; of a Puerto Rican Mother and State side father.
I think he only delivered one song that I personally didn't like. Most ofl the stuff he did was great. As a tiny tot he danced as a pro. He played lots of musical instruments --the number I don' t know. Apparently Sammy was : What's you see is what you gets!!

Reaction Score
I was able to because we EXPECT Washington and Oregon State to be great again this season. We don't expect them to fall out of the lime light in one season. I (we) expect them to be at the top of the Pac 12 standings all year, and go deep into the tournament. What we don't know is who (if any) of the other Pac 12 schools are going to show any improvement, flex their muscles, or draw attention to their program and the Pac 12.

We don't know IF UCLA, and their #1 class of 2 years ago will finally play up to the potential they were expected to when they were signed We don't know if USC (6-12 in conference) will stumble of the of blocks again this year, or come out like a team possessed, kicking a** and taking names.

The Trojans have 4 incoming freshmen this year: A 5 star - 6-1 wing - Valerie Higgins (Chaminade Prep, CA), 4 star 6-1 wing Ja'Tavia Tapley (University Christian, FL), 3 star 6-2 post Asiah Jones (Woodmont, SC) and 3 star 5-7 pg Minyon Moore (Salesian HS,CA). They lost their leading scorer Temi Fagbenle to graduation. They'll have UConn transfer Sadie Edwards available for the entire season this year. We'll see if this infusion of fresh new talent can make a difference in the Trojans fortunes this season.

Utah
went virtually unseen last year, finishing 7th in conference (8-10) finishing 18-15, and failing to make the tournament. Arizona (3-15/13-19) was horrible last year, and Colorado (2-16/7-23 - worse record in the Pac 12), wasn't any better. Maybe I misread the article. It sounded little more than sabre rattling to me. I'll wait until the season starts, and Oregon has played 5 non exhibition games before I form an opinion on them.

I assumed (and maybe I should not have) that that was understood, and need not be mentioned. Thanks for the heads up. I''ll try and not make those assumptions in future posts. :cool:

Washington and Oregon State --what do they have returning that gives you so much confidence in them returning to the big stage again this year?? Few teams stay more than one or 2 years in a row. Getting there is hard--staying there is near impossible.
When you ASS-U ME --you know!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Washington and Oregon State --what do they have returning that gives you so much confidence in them returning to the big stage again this year?? Few teams stay more than one or 2 years in a row. Getting there is hard--staying there is near impossible.
When you ASS-U ME --you know!!

We make assumptions in everyday life. We assume that when we run to the toilet, there will be toilet paper available. When we are driving and approach an intersection, we assume that the cross traffic has/will stop.
We also assume that when we use our credit/debit cards while shopping, the transaction will go through. And we assume that every time we get in our cars and turn the key, the car will start. :D

But I do get your point. I assume (perhaps unjustifiably) that Washington & Oregon State will finish in the top third of the Pac 12 this season. I DO NOT EXPECT EITHER OF THEM TO MAKE THE FINAL 4 !!!
I don't think the fans of either of those two programs are harboring that dream. :oops: A collapse or slide of that nature usually takes several years. I don't see that being the case at either of those two programs.

I do expect Baylor, Notre Dame and South Carolina to make amends for their early exit from the tournament last season. You know they are P**sed off, and are going to go through the season with an attitude, vowing that what happened last year, will not happen THIS year. To coin an old phrase: "They are going to be hell bent for leather", focused on one goal this season, making it to the final four. All three of these teams are projected to be top 5 nationally. Personally, I don't expect any early exits this year from any of them. I expect them to make the great 8. I'm not making any predictions beyond that. Who knows, one of them may run into that dark horse on the way to grandma's house. :eek:

There is always a "dark horse" in every NCAA Tournament. A team that comes in under the radar, wins games they are not projected/expected to win. Last year, there were 3. Three teams that made it all the way to the final weekend, that no one saw getting there. There will be a dark horse (that 4th team) this year. Who will it be? I doubt all 4 #1 seeds will make it to the final weekend. IF UConn were to make it to the final four this year, I think they would be considered that dark horse, because no one at this point (Sept 18, 2016) expects them to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom