Oregon game will feature lots of scoring and lots of guards... | The Boneyard

Oregon game will feature lots of scoring and lots of guards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Doggy will give us more detail w/ his awesome game write-up, but consider the following about Oregon:
1. They are averaging 109 points per game.
2. They are shooting over 36 three's per game.
3. Six of the team's 8 leading scorers are guards.

Does Geno go with three guards to start the game? Does he stick w/ two guards plus Dolson, Stewie and Stokes? Does he press the action/fast break w/ a team that runs and runs..?

IMO Geno does what UConn always does. Same line-up w/ two guards, rotate fresh guards and run when the opportunity is there. Should be a fun game to watch... Go Huskies..!!

Edit - Nan subbing for Doggy...sorry. Awesome write-up...!!

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My guess is that Geno will play three guards most of the time. Oregon will shoot (and miss) a lot of treys. The misses will often result in longer rebounds for the guards to scoop up, so the traditional rebounding advantage (Stokes and Stef) is sort of unnecessary.

Lots of shots, lots of points, lots of transition. Banks and Jefferson are off to the races. And Polly and Tierney, too.

Needless to say, I like our chances.

And we will be there.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I agree that a 3-guard lineup will likely be featured for much of this game. Geno's starting lineups are 'situational' right now, per Geno's comments last week, and Kiah is not as good at perimeter D (shocker....she is a premier interior defender so this is not a knock on Kiah).

With a team like Oregon you want to be able to switch screens and maintain constant ball pressure on their guards to harass their perimeter offense. Also we are seeing somewhat more fouls being called on players trying to fight through screens this year, so switching might be the chosen tactic a little more often anyway.

The way she's playing, Chong could very well get the start over Banks.......

It's also possible that Geno stays with Stokes as a starter and quickly subs for one of the guards.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great write up by Nan. Btw...

The last time the Huskies lost to a Pac 12 team not named Stanford was a 61-50 loss to Arizona State on December 21, 2004.

Sadly, I was AT that game! It was at ASU and for some Godawful reason, I went and sat through the loss. As great as it was to see the team play, the drive home was not fun!

I am VERY curious to see what the final score is. Oregon seems to play a very entertaining run and gun sort of offense. UCONN plays terrific defense. BUT I wonder if UCONN will see any kind of foul trouble. I wonder if Geno will stick with the big lineup of Stef and Kiah in the game or if he will abandon that quickly. I could see the game being close early on - and maybe high scoring, until UCONN figures out the best way to deal with Oregon's offense. Or maybe Geno already has a game plan that will work.

Oregon may average over 100 PPG but they are giving up over 90. UCONN loves to run. I wonder if we will score over 100 - it appears that Oregon doesn't play much defense, instead trying to outscore their opponents. That won't work with UCONN. They do have good size tho - big guards, and they start a pair of 6'2" and 6'3" forwards. Will be entertaining for sure. No idea what the score will be when we predict in that thread. But given they lost to Sacramento, and gave up approx 88 points to Portland and CSB, I'm betting UCONN wins by 40+

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The question is: How few points will the U Conn defense allow.
I imagine that we will half their normal scoring average to around 50, while we double them up.

Reaction Score
It's also possible that Geno stays with Stokes as a starter and quickly subs for one of the guards.

I was thinking Stokes may start also because UConn needs to control the game and rebounding will help do that.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that he starts MoJet, Banks and Bria, because he does not want any of the bigs getting into foul trouble by matching up with guards. With SD and TBS on the inside to swat away shots from anyone who gets by the front line. And I think he subs pretty freely with both the guards and the bigs. Their guards may find it just a leetle harder to score with hands in their faces. Westhead's strategy has ALWAYS been to run the other team into the ground. That cannot be done with the Huskies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that he starts MoJet, Banks and Bria, because he does not want any of the bigs getting into foul trouble by matching up with guards. With SD and TBS on the inside to swat away shots from anyone who gets by the front line. And I think he subs pretty freely with both the guards and the bigs. Their guards may find it just a leetle harder to score with hands in their faces. Westhead's strategy has ALWAYS been to run the other team into the ground. That cannot be done with the Huskies.
I'm gonna go with your starting lineup too. Jefferson, Hartley, Banks, Stewart and Dolson. It'll be a run and gun game, perfect for the guards. Geno will need to rotate the 3 bigs (may even see 1 and 4 guards some) because they will have to run up and down too.

BUT, Hartley, Banks, Jefferson, and Chong on a wide open court? That's gonna be fun to watch.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Their scoring average is about to take a big hit.

image.png

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yeah. Stef and Bria might get a few also. And I expect MoJet to get at least one.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Their scoring average is impressive, their opposition is not. Typical Paul Westhead team . The shot clock is irrelevant to him. If UConn does what it normally does, and forces that team to use a lot of clock on most possessions, we'll see how they handle it. I'd be surprised if they aren't taking many more forced shots that they are used to, since our guards can run with anybody. Given that they fell to mighty Sacramento State, giving up 97 points, they will probably struggle to stay within 30 even if we play 5 guards. I checked their record and the team that beat them, Sac State and the team that beat Sac State - Oregon State. One thing seems clear from all of their scores, , Stanford must be the only team on the west coast that plays defense. Those teams and their opponents must go into shock if they are forced to eat more than 10 seconds of possession. The fans must need oxygen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That makes sense to me - your reasoning, but on the depth chart it appears that Saniya has already passed Brianna. It would not surprise me to see him start her instead of Brianna. I guess we will know soon enough!!

Reaction Score
That makes sense to me - your reasoning, but on the depth chart it appears that Saniya has already passed Brianna. It would not surprise me to see him start her instead of Brianna. I guess we will know soon enough!!
Not yet I think. Brianna isn't up to speed yet and Geno wouldn't want to send her the wrong opinion IMO.

Reaction Score
This I Nova on Steroids +++++..........You are right...........Get your popcorn and beverages not to miss the action..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom