Oregon and Washington In Big Ten Officially | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Oregon and Washington In Big Ten Officially

Reaction Score
ACC should have grabbed all the BE football schools when they had the chance

Someone else posted that mistake #1 was the old Big E excluding Penn St. followed by the BE allowing ND to hold them hostage. If the fools in Providence had Penn St and ND as full members when it all began. the basketball-only schools would have still left; but the core would have been very strong and would have likely been the one raiding the ACC versus the other way around.

Reaction Score
If there's one thing UCF has been good at over the last decade or so it's being in the right place at the right time. I think this will be their 4th conference in the last 20 years. They were in C-USA just a decade ago before moving up to the AAC and now to a P5 in the Big 12. They move around quite often it seems. Maybe they should rename the team from the Knights to the Temporaries.
It's only been a school since the late 60's (Florida Tech) and only had sports since the mid 80's.

Reaction Score
Why is adding the largest school in Florida insane? Cincinnati is another story.
Because it has no brand. It has no historyz it has no real fanbase.

They could have had fsu.

I like ucf. But it is still a lucky mouse operation.

Reaction Score
Cal is highly regarded academically and generates a lot of research dollars, which certain B1G presidents do care about. Throw in a 'better' football brand and California politics, UConn has no shot competing for a B1G slot against them.
Cal’s Sports sucks. Football was 4-8. Basketball was 3-29.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's over for UConn. There could be some ACC movement soon.
Here’s another possibility, granted outside chance. 8 of 16 XII members have been added after WV joined. Does this give them a legal out without paying penalties? @businesslawyer what say you?

Reaction Score
Because it's an online/commuter school people don't care about.
I live about an hour from Florida and USF, an hour and a half from UCF. Going into popular local bars, the most chatter is about Florida, then USF a distant second, and never anything about UCF. Same for news on TV. Actually, I was surprised the low level of interest overall in college sports here. Only time there is buzz in the bars is when the Bucs had Brady or in snowbird season with noise for B1G schools.

When I lived in southern New Hampshire and Vermont people were much more into regional college sports. Not much football content but UNH got a lot of airplay. College hoops and hockey got a lot as well. UCONN got s a lot of attention. Very knowledgeable fan bases.

It’s hard to imagine how these payouts can be sustained without the media outlets struggling financially. Especially with the ever changing distribution technology.

On the other hand, it’s not like these amounts are that huge. Think some individual player contracts in the pros. Heck, weren’t the cast of Friends each making $1m an episode back in the 90’s?

Reaction Score
Now here you go again, you say you want your freedom
Well, who am I to keep you down?
It's only right that you should play the way you feel it
But listen carefully to the sound of your loneliness

Like a heartbeat, drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering what you had
And what you lost
And what you had
Ooh, what you lost

Here I am this morning, playing Stevie Nicks and contemplating long decades of loving college football. Things change, I know, but I will mourn the traditional conferences....teams must do what they need to do, conferencee loyalties were yesterday.

Whatever is going to happen, just get it done. I guess I can understand the desperation of doing something, anything, rather die a slow death of 1,000 cuts. But it is sad for the football that we have known,

Reaction Score
Now here you go again, you say you want your freedom
Well, who am I to keep you down?
It's only right that you should play the way you feel it
But listen carefully to the sound of your loneliness

Like a heartbeat, drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering what you had
And what you lost
And what you had
Ooh, what you lost

Here I am this morning, playing Stevie Nicks and contemplating long decades of loving college football. Things change, I know, but I will mourn the traditional conferences....teams must do what they need to do, conferencee loyalties were yesterday.

Whatever is going to happen, just get it done. I guess I can understand the desperation of doing something, anything, rather die a slow death of 1,000 cuts. But it is sad for the football that we have known,
I woke up this morning as bummed as you seemed to me about college football. I really enjoyed college football and respected the rivalries. I loved the old Nebraska - Oklahoma games. I remember watching UCLA and USC around Thanksgiving in their bright uniforms when winter had started to creep into CT. But those days are gone. Geography no longer matters. As Paul Finebaum said on the Dan Patrick show yesterday, "fans still follow tradition even though college football no longer honors tradition."

I find the statements that Oregon and Washington will receive full shares from the Big 10 in the next TV deal funny. How can you trust any statement like that?

Larry Scott must be the most inept commissioner ever. At one time they had the chance to have Texas join the Pac12 which could have avoided much of this.

Reaction Score
Actually the Big East football at the time should have split from the basketball schools and invited FSU, Clemson, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Maryland.
At the time the North Carolina schoo s were noting in football.
That would have been a great league.
Miami, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, West Virginia, Pittsburgh were all very good in the 90's.

Reaction Score
This move cuts down on travel significantly.

Even sports with 20 game conference schedules….Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Volleyball, etc. Look at how that breaks down:

USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington all play each other twice - home and away. That is 6 games for each school.

The other 14 games would be played against the 14 schools in the Eastern/Central Time Zones. 7 of the 14 are home games only and the other 7 away games only.

For the 7 away games, you can do some doubling up. Fly to Chicago and play road games against both Northwestern and Illinois. Fly to Michigan and play road games against both Michigan and Michigan State, etc.

You are only looking at a few long trips, and most schools do this now anyways in the non conference schedules. USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington could stick to playing western schools in the non-conference part of the season.

Reaction Score
This move cuts down on travel significantly.

Even sports with 20 game conference schedules….Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Volleyball, etc. Look at how that breaks down:

USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington all play each other twice - home and away. That is 6 games for each school.

The other 14 games would be played against the 14 schools in the Eastern/Central Time Zones. 7 of the 14 are home games only and the other 7 away games only.

For the 7 away games, you can do some doubling up. Fly to Chicago and play road games against both Northwestern and Illinois. Fly to Michigan and play road games against both Michigan and Michigan State, etc.

You are only looking at a few long trips, and most schools do this now anyways in the non conference schedules. USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington could stick to playing western schools in the non-conference part of the season.
True and I think this is why it makes sense for the B1G to do a pods for all sports except football and sports where there are not many teams (hockey). It cuts down in travel expenses and time away from class for the ‘student’ athletes while drawing on local, traditional rivalries. Penn State/Rutgers/Maryland, Ohio St/Michigan/Purdue/Indiana/Illinois, Illinois/Northwestern/Wisconsin/Iowa, Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa, and Nebraska/Iowa are all within a 5 hours’ drive of each other. Nebraska is the only current school that does not have more than 1 B1G conference partner within 5 hours. In the new pacific wing, UCLA and USC are neighbors while UW and UO are about 4.5 hours apart, but they are used to that .

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Oregon needs to increase their research spending fast. Last place by A LOT. They could increase five fold and still be low for the B1G.
Why? They are in the Big10 and an AAU university. They are who they are and the Big10 admitted them into their club anyway. From reports, they were in discussions since last year so The Big10 hasn’t been worried for awhile now. Will they have opportunities to earn more research dollars in the Big10? Maybe, who knows?

The facts are the Big10 admitted them into the conference with the academic and athletic profile they currently are. If the Big10 had their boxers all twisted up over research dollars, then they would have invited Stanford instead. Maybe with the amount of research dollars UDub spends (1st in PAC and now 2nd in Big10), the Big10 thought that evened out OU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom