Oregon and Washington In Big Ten Officially | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Oregon and Washington In Big Ten Officially

Reaction Score

About five minutes into the Podcast, they say Washington and Oregon either didn't attend the Friday morning PAC-12 meeting to discuss the Apple TV deal, or they did attend and just flat out told everyone they weren't signing.

Reaction Score
Washington finally posted their press conference.......

Reaction Score
Why? They are in the Big10 and an AAU university. They are who they are and the Big10 admitted them into their club anyway. From reports, they were in discussions since last year so The Big10 hasn’t been worried for awhile now. Will they have opportunities to earn more research dollars in the Big10? Maybe, who knows?

The facts are the Big10 admitted them into the conference with the academic and athletic profile they currently are. If the Big10 had their boxers all twisted up over research dollars, then they would have invited Stanford instead. Maybe with the amount of research dollars UDub spends (1st in PAC and now 2nd in Big10), the Big10 thought that evened out OU.

It’s almost like (gasp) the B10 is an athletic league and has nothing to do with the research-side of the universities.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It’s almost like (gasp) the B10 is an athletic league and has nothing to do with the research-side of the universities.
I do believe there are schools that just don’t fit the Big10 because of academics. I also believe that the academic bar isn’t what we all think it is. I look at the AAU benchmark. That whole thing was pushed by The Dude of WV.

Reaction Score
So the Apple deal was only good for 2 years?
It might have been 2 years long, but by the way every school with an option got the hell out, it was clear that it was anything but good. The dollars stunk but worse than that these schools would have been practically invisible to prospective recruits.

Reaction Score
AAU membership was never a requirement to join the B1G. It's certainly a plus. Fact: When Michigan State joined the B1G, they were NOT in the AAU. They didn't join for another 8 years.

Reaction Score
Oregon needs to increase their research spending fast. Last place by A LOT. They could increase five fold and still be low for the B1G.

Part of Oregon’s challenge is that their med school, Oregon Health & Science University, is considered a separate intuition, like the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey before it was merged with Rutgers in 2013.

Reaction Score
Part of Oregon’s challenge is that their med school, Oregon Health & Science University, is considered a separate intuition, like the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey before it was merged with Rutgers in 2013.

If that's the case, I expect a merger will happen in Oregon sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
AAU membership was never a requirement to join the B1G. It's certainly a plus. Fact: When Michigan State joined the B1G, they were NOT in the AAU. They didn't join for another 8 years.
Also it is clear that AAU membership is based on politics, not merit. How does ND merit AAU membership?

Reaction Score
Also it is clear that AAU membership is based on politics, not merit. How does ND merit AAU membership?
It's another good ol' boys club run by the same people that pull the strings in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
It's another good ol' boys club run by the same people that pull the strings in conference realignment.
I’ve wondered that, too. It’s a good academic school, especially undergrad and law, with a rapid alumni network; but it lacks the big research side, such as a medical school, that most AAU schools have. Hence, you note may have a partial truth to it.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I’ve wondered that, too. It’s a good academic school, especially undergrad and law, with a rapid alumni network; but it lacks the big research side, such as a medical school, that most AAU schools have. Hence, you note may have a partial truth to it.
I think there’s some truth to that as well. There are metrics that the AAU used, though. The big one is competitive grants. These are grants the research writes and submits. The grant providers award the research funds to those, based on how they say they would use the money to further the research the grant providers want. Could ND have high metrics there? I don’t know.

dayooper

Reaction Score
IMG_3240.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom