opinion from a new-be | The Boneyard

opinion from a new-be

Reaction Score
I've been watching uconn girls hoops for the last 10 years. I didn't think the Miss St loss was a great upset like most are saying. The ND game was tied at the half. Even though uconn was up most of the second half at Maryland the final score was close. The 1st game at Fla St could have easily been a loss. Their conference only has a few quality teams. When uconn plays against highly ranked teams the games are much closer. This years team lacks size and depth, which won't be a problem next year.

If one of Stewie's teams lost that would have been an upset for the ages.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Amen, brother and welcome to The Boneyard. I'm sure you will get plenty of friendly advice from others; enjoy the forum as there is a lot of good stuff here...

Reaction Score
Welcome!!
I suppose it really wasn't an upset of historic proportions, but let's face it: Anyone beating UConn after 111 straight would be considered an upset by at least some folks. I was one of those who thought UConn would win, but that it would be somewhat close because MSU had to be thinking about the 60-point loss last year. Shaefer is a very good coach, and he had them really motivated to play their hearts out. So much so they had nothing left for SC.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - welcome to the BoneYard!

Second - as to your point, I tend to agree. I was not overly surprised. In the eyes of others, especially our rivals, it was a big upset. The win streak was ended. For that State will be remembered for a while as the team that ended the streak. The loss kept us out of the finals so that broke the 4 straight going for five streak.

And for our rivals, let them enjoy themselves. When November arrives they will hear, loud and claer, the battle cry from Storrs -

WE'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I've been watching UConn girls hoops for the last 10 years. I didn't think the Miss St loss was a great upset like most are saying. The ND game was tied at the half. Even though UConn was up most of the second half at Maryland the final score was close. The 1st game at Fla St could have easily been a loss. Their conference only has a few quality teams. When UConn plays against highly ranked teams the games are much closer. This years team lacks size and depth, which won't be a problem next year.

Hey, Newbie welcome. I agree with you that the MS loss wasn't one of the "greatest" upsets. I Certainty didn't expect that this year's team would both go undefeated during the regular season and make the final four. This team over achieved all season and that was a testament to the inner fortitude that makes UConn WBB what it is,

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've been watching UConn girls hoops for the last 10 years. I didn't think the Miss St loss was a great upset like most are saying. The ND game was tied at the half. Even though UConn was up most of the second half at Maryland the final score was close. The 1st game at Fla St could have easily been a loss. Their conference only has a few quality teams. When UConn plays against highly ranked teams the games are much closer. This years team lacks size and depth, which won't be a problem next year.

Oy new-be, don't you know the rules?! Like children should be seen and not heard, new-bes are supposed to post but not have opinions!:eek::cool:

Welcome, and I agree. If the number 111 had not been attached to the team, the result would not have been such an 'upset'. The season rested on a knife edge and you can only balance there for so long. Rational people understood that, but sports is full of irrational thinking.

Reaction Score
If you read the threads and countless posts on 'the game', you'll see that many BY regulars (and lurkers) were not surprised at the loss. The abundant analysis attributes dozens of contributing factors ...amazingly most of them are plausible. Combined, the surprise is that the Huskies didn't lose by 30 ;)

"Upset" was more the media's view and headline. It sells...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It was a pretty big upset with UConn being a 21-pt favorite. The Huskies of April were a lot better than the Huskies of November. All the different metrics suggested that only a loss to Baylor wouldn't have been a huge upset.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...If one of Stewie's teams lost that would have been an upset for the ages.

Stewie's teams DID lose some games, the last being in November, 2014 at Stanford. Was it an upset? Probably. For the ages? No.

Fans and sportswriters love hyperbole, though few can define it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree, not that big an upset.

Welcome aboard, GMP. But before you get too attached, allow me a simple warning...

6b146e1de6f8d04484fa0235258272a8.jpg

Reaction Score
Welcome!

Of course it wasn't so much of an upset as the UConn team's expectations weren't the same as other "killer" teams in the past.

But it was an upset in that: 1. UConn had destroyed MS the previous year and was favored by 21 this year; 2. MS, having had a strong early season, was up and down the last part of the season; 3. UConn is intimidating generally; and 4. UConn had played very well up until then in the tournament. The only close game was UCLA and that was more structural (the type of team UCLA had), but it was never in doubt.

Reaction Score
Welcome!!
I suppose it really wasn't an upset of historic proportions, but let's face it: Anyone beating UConn after 111 straight would be considered an upset by at least some folks. I was one of those who thought UConn would win, but that it would be somewhat close because MSU had to be thinking about the 60-point loss last year. Shaefer is a very good coach, and he had them really motivated to play their hearts out. So much so they had nothing left for SC.
Not to stir the pot, but this narrative of Miss. St having spent themselves that this cost them to lose against SC is annoying. First of all Miss St, lost to South Carolina in the same manner that it did in the SEC Championship game. Too much A'ja and the fact that one on one we had matchups that could guard them. Miss. St. was not spent in that game and basically saw the same results. SC did two things UConn didn't in their games. They applied direct pressure to Morgan Williams that got her uncomfortable and did not allow her to set the offense. Also, SC had players more comfortable going "off the bounce" which negates Miss. St. team defensive principles. Lastly as big as the 6'7 girl played for Miss. St. She always had problems with A'ja Wilson. SC has beaten MSU 11 straight times, so though the Championship game came after the emotional UConn win, SC still is a bad matchup for Miss. St on State's best day.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not to stir the pot, but this narrative of Miss. St having spent themselves that this cost them to lose against SC is annoying. First of all Miss St, lost to South Carolina in the same manner that it did in the SEC Championship game. Too much A'ja and the fact that one on one we had matchups that could guard them. Miss. St. was not spent in that game and basically saw the same results. SC did two things UConn didn't in their games. They applied direct pressure to Morgan Williams that got her uncomfortable and did not allow her to set the offense. Also, SC had players more comfortable going "off the bounce" which negates Miss. St. team defensive principles. Lastly as big as the 6'7 girl played for Miss. St. She always had problems with A'ja Wilson. SC has beaten MSU 11 straight times, so though the Championship game came after the emotional UConn win, SC still is a bad matchup for Miss. St on State's best day.
It may be annoying but it is a phenomena that has had a track record.

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard. DirecTV in PA along with their Sports Pack option will give you SNY and all the Uconn games not broadcast via ESPN. I live in southeastern PA.

Reaction Score

I agree fully. MS was not spent and it was definitely too much Wilson. I was at the game and it was an upset because we were favored by 21 but as I was watching it, it didn't seem like an upset. MS was really good and their defense made us play the way they wanted us to. The biggest upset in WBB history, in my opinion: Louisville over Baylor, 82-81,in Griner's senior year in the sweet 16 round, March 31, 2013. Baylor finished 34-2. Their other loss was to Stanford, 69-71 on November 16, 2012.

No. 1 WBB Falls to Louisville in Sweet 16, 82-81

Reaction Score

I AM of the Minority opinion, I believe, in that I don't see that loss as anything other than a loss---
In November 16, many on the Boneyard and in the press were looking at ND as number ONE--not Uconn--others saw Baylor as the top dog, some even Texas--many thought Uconn could not get by US Carolina---but this team, as Geno said often, overachieved. The loss to Miss St--while not loveable--was a condition where all the bad
conditions came together--Miss had a great game plan, a top point guard, a mobile big, a few 3 point threats--and they played with abandon. Either mentally or emotionally 3 or so members of the team--had issues they never had all season. Were they beaten---ONLY by the score--. If Uconn played that same Miss St team today--Miss loses.
Some things you can plan on --some things are out of your control---No UPSET..

Reaction Score
I agree fully. MS was not spent and it was definitely too much Wilson. I was at the game and it was an upset because we were favored by 21 but as I was watching it, it didn't seem like an upset. MS was really good and their defense made us play the way they wanted us to. The biggest upset in WBB history, in my opinion: Louisville over Baylor, 82-81,in Griner's senior year in the sweet 16 round, March 31, 2013. Baylor finished 34-2. Their other loss was to Stanford, 69-71 on November 16, 2012.

Uconn was mentally taken out of the game by their inability to score easily down low and rebound---if Uconn doesn't rebound--fewer fast breaks--few fast score build up. 2 bigs stopped Naphessa and slowed Gabby=
The itty bitty scoring percentage was terrible by Uconn standards--Rebounding saved them. This was NOT a huse upset---2 points is a win--not a drubbing,
In the final game Aj a--negated their bigs, and scored well within 4 ft from the basket.
It wasn't easy but Aj a is 6 4 or 5 and Napheesa is 6 1, Gabby 5 11--

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard. DirecTV in PA along with their Sports Pack option will give you SNY and all the UConn games not broadcast via ESPN. I live in southeastern PA.
Thank you, I live halfway between Harrisburg and Allentown and live and breathe UConn girls bb

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It was a pretty big upset with UConn being a 21-pt favorite. The Huskies of April were a lot better than the Huskies of November. All the different metrics suggested that only a loss to Baylor wouldn't have been a huge upset.

Bingo.

We got bingo.

the Q

Reaction Score

Agreed with your #1.

The loss to stanford, I believe Sims was hurt. So really the loss to Louisville was their only one at full strength.

#2 is probably the 16/1 upset, and the only reason it's not #1 was before the Stanford women had more injuries that year than our men's team this year.

the Q

Reaction Score
But make no mistake MSU was a HUGE upset, and still a fluke.

UConn was an 87% favorite by 538, and that sounds about right. 90ish wins if they played 100 times. Especially if it was a series and not just 100 random games. Where getting out the big stage jitters they clearly had all game here would've been huge.

Reaction Score
How many regulars on the BY would have given MSU +21 and bet the farm ;)?

How about even up (for the farm or at least the veggie garden)?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom