On the starters for next year... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

On the starters for next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't Kara say that it was going to be the same returning four plus KatieLou?

Reaction Score
If Geno wasn't averse to starting freshmen, it's easy to make a simple swap KML --> KLS, Kiah --> Butler, and the other newbs provide additional depth.

Given that he doesn't like starting freshmen off the bat, he'll probably go with Williams at the 3 instead, or go absurdly big with Stewie/Tuck/Butler. I don't see that second one happening though, as Geno seems to have fallen in love with a more versatile offense with each player capable of shooting 3's or taking someone off the dribble.

Reaction Score
Throwing in my 2-cents worth, all reports during the 2nd 1/2 of the season are that Natalie Butler plays a "Stef Dolson Big Girl" style of center! Passing, running the floor, down low and popping up top for a 15' shot, very mobile 6'5" girl!

My starters for 2015-2016 would be:
C - Natalie Butler
PF - Morgan Tuck, interchangeable with SF/C
SF - Breanna Stewart, interchangeable with PF/C
SG - Kia Nurse
PG - Moriah Jefferson

OFF THE BENCH:
PG - Saniya Chong
SG - Courtney Ekmark
C/SF/PF - Gabby Williams/KL Samuelson/Napheesa Collier, Boykin, all interchangeable parts

As I stated elsewhere on The BY, this 2015-2016 team could be the most athletic Geno and staff has had! Don't be surprised if players are moving from one position to another position to another position during a game, Geno will have different combos for different situations! Once Mid-January comes in he'll have more of a handle on where everyone can contribute both offensively and defensively!
They will be almost impossible to defense as everyone will be placed anywhere on the court at any time! Stereotype positions will be out the window!
IMHO I think big-time recruits now sitting on the fence deciding where to go will swing to the Huskies! 3 championships in a row & 10 overall, If you're a stud you want to be a part of History! And right now History is spelled: UCONN!

Reaction Score
I don't see KLS starting unless Geno has a huge change of philosophy. Her defensive issues need to be worked with first. Nobody is a bigger fan of Collier than me, but I don't see her starting either. First, she's a freshmen. Second, the staff may see her all-around game as the perfect compliment to KLS as a pairing off the bench.

That leaves Butler and Williams, and my guess has long been that Butler will get first crack. I sorta agree with a couple of others who brought up how good UConn's lineup worked with no true center, using their speed and skill to the utmost advantage. That said, there are benefits to having a player of Butler's size and strength in there too.

In the end, I'm not sure it's going to matter all that much because minutes are going to have to be rationed and I don't see that starter playing starter's minutes anyway.
I'm inclined to think that you'll find a number of games where Butler unequivocally will be the starter unless somehow what she did at Georgetown in her freshman year is somehow an aberration (which I doubt) while you might find a variety of different lineups when Geno wants to play smaller and quicker, where it may be Gabby or possibly Samuelson or Collier. My impression of Collier is that she's very much another Morgan Tuck whose well rounded game has no weaknesses. I'm not sure she'll be as natural a scorer as was Maya and feel the comparison to Morgan is more apt. I think Geno will love the flexibility his team has next year and that they'll be marvelous to watch, particularly as the year progresses.

Reaction Score
If Geno wasn't averse to starting freshmen, it's easy to make a simple swap KML --> KLS, Kiah --> Butler, and the other newbs provide additional depth.

Given that he doesn't like starting freshmen off the bat, he'll probably go with Williams at the 3 instead, or go absurdly big with Stewie/Tuck/Butler. I don't see that second one happening though, as Geno seems to have fallen in love with a more versatile offense with each player capable of shooting 3's or taking someone off the dribble.
How versatile a scorer is Gabby Williams? How many points has she scored from more than 8-10 feet away? I can't even imagine her shooting a three point shot based on what she's shown this year. Don't get me wrong, I love her game and her athleticism is crazy good but I need a lot of convincing that she could play the two or three!

Reaction Score
How versatile a scorer is Gabby Williams? How many points has she scored from more than 8-10 feet away? I can't even imagine her shooting a three point shot based on what she's shown this year. Don't get me wrong, I love her game and her athleticism is crazy good but I need a lot of convincing that she could play the two or three!
Agree. I have a wait and see attitude about her playing those other positions well this coming season. She has the athletic ability and determination to achieve that, but it may take a couple of years to achieve.

Reaction Score
You all need to get off Natalie's back. You probably said the same things about Stef and look at how those teams turned out. She will start and free up Breanna to take off down the court as Moriah leads the break. She will be a glass cleaner of the best kind. The points will be in the basket as fast as Moriah can get to the other end. Breanna did a lot of the dirty work when it came to rebounding. This will free her up to run the lanes as well as any big in women's college basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's going to take All-American play by somebody to take Nurse out of the starting line-up
I don't disagree with that. KLS and The Pheenom are both capable of AA play IMO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My starters for 2015-2016 would be:
C - Natalie Butler
PF - Morgan Tuck, interchangeable with SF/C
SF - Breanna Stewart, interchangeable with PF/C
SG - Kia Nurse
PG - Moriah Jefferson

OFF THE BENCH:
PG - Saniya Chong
SG - Courtney Ekmark
C/SF/PF - Gabby Williams/KL Samuelson/Napheesa Collier, Boykin, all interchangeable parts
And right now History is spelled: UCONN!
Only one slight nit pick and it's very slight. I don't see a center or even a "solid" PF among your interchangable parts.

Reaction Score
There may not be just one starting team. Against a team loads with bugs like SCU Geno may go wth Natalie, but against a Dayton he may prefer a guard as he did a couple weeks ago. He'll try several match ups even in the same game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nurse isn't going anywhere. The UCONN women have built their reputation and success on great defense for at least the last few years and she's one of the best defenders on the team. She showed a lot of spark (diving for a loose ball to retain possession) and courage (taking and making a critical three with the game very much on the line, even after missing a few) against ND. I'm sure that made an impression on Geno and staff if there wasn't one there already. To even suggest she won't be starting seems absurd. Decisions aren't always made based on offensive production and frankly, there's nothing wrong with 10 points a game.
Love Kia and all she brings, glad she is on our team, that was a gutsy shot against ND no doubt. But it is definitely not "absurd" to think she will not be a starter next year 1) Chong beat her out for the starting spot at the beginning of this year 2) Brianna Banks transferred before Kia was on campus. My point is you have to look at who she is competing against for a starting spot. In this case there is a difference of opinion as to weather KLS and the Pheenom can play the SG position. IMO they both can play the position well enought so that 1 or the other "could/may/might" displace Kia as a starter. Just my opinion always subject to being wrong of course. When we did this drill last year I projected Courtney as the starter at that position-I was wrong.

Reaction Score
There may not be just one starting team. Against a team loads with bugs like SCU Geno may go wth Natalie, but against a Dayton he may prefer a guard as he did a couple weeks ago. He'll try several match ups even in the same game.

It seems to me that once Geno has found the lineup he likes, he absolutely stays with it. He does not change starters based upon the opponent, rather preferring to make in-game adjustments and substitutions. If a kid is not getting it done in practice or pissing Geno off (or needs motivation i.e. Stewie+ Tuck @Memphis), she may sit. Or as he did with the insertion of Nurse after Stanford, but that move had more to do with realizing HE made a mistake, and nothing to do with matching up with future opponents' starters. As Geno says- if we're playing our A game nobody is gonna beat us. He surely prepares for the opponents' individual players' tendencies, but his focus is always on his guys doing what they need to do to win. I cannot remember Geno changing his starting lineup solely based on the opponents' size or speed.

Reaction Score
Only one slight nit pick and it's very slight. I don't see a center or even a "solid" PF among your interchangable parts.

CocoHusky- - - That's the strength of what the Staff will have next year, IMHO they'll start the 5 I said above but in his substitution pattern they will NOT have positions per se, Tuck will be at Center some times, Butler will be at Center other times, then at other times they'll rotate KLS, Collier, Boykin, Williams, on the front line rotating through depending what scheme Geno is after at that time! They will be so quick and athletic that opponents will not be able to matchup with them!

Reaction Score
Love Kia and all she brings, glad she is on our team, that was a gutsy shot against ND no doubt. But it is definitely not "absurd" to think she will not be a starter next year 1) Chong beat her out for the starting spot at the beginning of this year 2) Brianna Banks transferred before Kia was on campus. My point is you have to look at who she is competing against for a starting spot. In this case there is a difference of opinion as to weather KLS and the Pheenom can play the SG position. IMO they both can play the position well enought so that 1 or the other "could/may/might" displace Kia as a starter. Just my opinion always subject to being wrong of course. When we did this drill last year I projected Courtney as the starter at that position-I was wrong.

Coco- Saniya started because she had been the "best practice player" and that early in the season (game 2) Geno had practically zero game play by which to judge. That quickly changed.
- After 3 difficult, injury-prone years, Brianna B. only started those 8 games when Kaleena went down vs. Stanford and Geno was out of options; a default starter. I'm not suggesting that Nurse owns the starting position, because in fact I'd love to see Napheesa and Lou perform off the charts great and give Geno reasons to start them. But aside from a few freshman moments, Kia proved her mettle and was an essential part of NC#10. Geno will start and stay with Kia unless (nahhhh) she or one of the newbies show that to be a mistake. Won't happen. Kia will learn exponentially from her first year with Geno, work hard on her offensive game, come back even better and become a superb fixture in the starting lineup for years to come.
- Like you said, just opinions, and I, too, could certainly be wrong. Happens all the time.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco- Saniya started because she had been the "best practice player" and that early in the season (game 2) Geno had practically zero game play by which to judge. That quickly changed.
- After 3 difficult, injury-prone years, Brianna B. only started those 8 games when Kaleena went down vs. Stanford and Geno was out of options; a default starter. I'm not suggesting that Nurse owns the starting position, because in fact I'd love to see Napheesa and Lou perform off the charts great and give Geno reasons to start them. But aside from a few freshman moments, Kia proved her mettle and was an essential part of NC#10. Geno will start and stay with Kia unless (nahhhh) she or one of the newbies show that to be a mistake. Won't happen. Kia will learn exponentially from her first year with Geno, work hard on her offensive game, come back even better and become a superb fixture in the starting lineup for years to come.
- Like you said, just opinions, and I, too, could certainly be wrong. Happens all the time.
The good news is that we both can"t be wrong, the better news is Geno will have options, the best news is the team will be loaded and I can't wait to see them crush people.

Reaction Score
A few posters need to do a little research ... Butler is a gift from Heaven ... you need to watch some video from her frosh season, this girl is a brute.....and yes, I'm told she played on the practice squad against Stewie and is well versed on UConn's flow, and that the coach's gave her instructional time to get her in a UConn post mindset. . She may need a little more in the strength room, a little more elevation but she is A#1 ..

Actually there is enough AA talent on this team to field two teams...

The new multitalented 15-16 incoming group are extremely very good, and all are in the UConn team spirt mold and will fight for position.

The big ..real big concern, is minutes ..... when your active squad are all top ten players out of HS, there are only so many minutes to go around and this is a concern...

Coach will give a free flow to Stewie who will have A BANNER YEAR making her the Very Best WCBB has ever seen. But his mind set will be on molding the team for the three-four years after Stewie.

Reaction Score
If Butler starts, there isn't a true #4 or #5 on the bench. It won't matter in AAC games but it might in some of the OOC games that they play.
This season, the general consensus was that Stokes would take Dolson's spot in the starting line up. That didn't work out.
Geno may very well start Butler but if he doesn't that leaves a number of possibilities, Collier, Samuelson, Williams, Ekmark and Boykin.
If we go by the theory that Geno only starts freshman when he's forced to, that leaves Williams and Ekmark. To me that means Williams.

Stewart - Butler
Tuck - Boykin
Williams - KLS
Nurse - Collier/Ekmark
Jefferson - Chong

It is possible, though I think not probable, that Collier or KLS so dazzle Geno in practices that one of them is elevated into the starting line up.
Say KLS for demonstration purposes

Stewart - Butler
Tuck - Williams/Boykin
KLS - Collier
Nurse - Ekmark
Jefferson - Chong

And with Butler starting

Butler - Boykin (who else ?)
Tuck - Williams
Stewart - Kls
Nurse - Collier/Ekmark
Jefferson - Chong

I can't imagine Tuck not starting but that would provide a legitimate big coming off the bench. Off course if they did start the big line up (Butler, Stewart and Tuck) and one of them picked up a couple of quick fouls, The other 2 could easily play the #4 and #5 positions. The best part is that there are no bad choices.

Reaction Score
A few posters need to do a little research ... Butler is a gift from Heaven ... you need to watch some video from her frosh season, this girl is a brute.....and yes, I'm told she played on the practice squad against Stewie and is well versed on UConn's flow, and that the coach's gave her instructional time to get her in a UConn post mindset. . She may need a little more in the strength room, a little more elevation but she is A#1 ..

The new multitalented 15-16 incoming group are extremely very good, and all are in the UConn team spirt mold and will fight for position.

The big ..real big concern, is minutes ..... when your active squad are all top ten players out of HS, there are only so many minutes to go around and this is a concern...

Coach will give a free flow to Stewie who will have A BANNER YEAR making her the Very Best WCBB has ever seen. But his mind set will be on molding the team for the three-four years after Stewie.

I would be very interested in watching video of Butler. Do you have a link ? I have never been successful in finding much.

Reaction Score
Bill in Georgia brings up an interesting question. How many minutes will each player log next year.
2015 Mins. played 2016 guess
Stewart 28.3 27
Tuck 25.6 25
Nurse 25.1 24
Jefferson 28.8 27
Butler 24
Williams 15.6 17
Collier 12
KLS 12
Boykin 10
Ekmark 9.7 8
Chong 19.1 14
200 mins

Reaction Score

IMO there is no way UCONN should play like that. As CD has said for years. We make teams react to us, not us to them. If in the beginning first 4 minutes or so you see it isn't working then make the switch. No need with our talent to go back and forth vs inferior opponents.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'd like to add a request - and this is just my personal opinion/plea to other fans - can we refrain from "blanket" criticisms of players? I think it's totally fair to comment on the need for Gabby to have a better FT%, or for Courtney to work on fitness, etc. But what makes me cringe are comments like "Player X can't hang with the big dogs", or "Player Y isn't good enough to contribute".
Can Chong play at this level at UCONN...IMO, she seems out of her class..
Well that didn't take very long.

Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

Reaction Score

I think it's okay if she clogs the lane sometimes. Because she is also supposedly a very good offensive rebounder. SO sometimes she can get the ball inside on low post and score. Other times she can get offensive rebounds especially if her man leaves to help out on another. Plus she'll be bale to set picks for outside shooters. And maybe you can use her on pick-and-rolls.

As for 15-18 foot shots - she had better be super shooting them otherwise don't do it often. I'd rather she be patient set picks to free up players for 3's rather than take 15-18 foot shots if she is only "pretty good" from there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That didn't line up well and I ran out of edit time so
Bill in Georgia brings up an interesting question. How many minutes will each player log next year.
2015 Mins. played ---2016 guess
Stewart 28.3 --------------27 mins
Tuck 25.6 -----------------25
Nurse 25.1 ----------------24
Jefferson 28.8 ------------27
Butler ---------------------24
Williams 15.6------------- 17
Collier ---------------------12
KLS------------------------ 12
Boykin ---------------------10
Ekmark 9.7---------------- 8
Chong 19.1 ----------------14
--------------------------200 mins

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Very interesting last point about the mind set being post Stewie and having AA talent on the roster. If that is the focus, then isn't UCONN more likely to need role players in 2016 and beyond to complement AAs? (Faris types vs. KML types). Just an example people save the key strokes!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That didn't line up well and I ran out of edit time so
2015 Mins. played ---2016 guess
Stewart 28.3 --------------27 mins
Tuck 25.6 -----------------25
Nurse 25.1 ----------------24
Jefferson 28.8 ------------27
Butler ---------------------24
Williams 15.6------------- 17
Collier ---------------------12
KLS------------------------ 12
Boykin ---------------------10
Ekmark 9.7---------------- 8
Chong 19.1 ----------------14
--------------------------200 mins
I appreciate your straw man on minutes but someone is bound to chop your head off for any or all of the following: Chong is getting less minutes than last year: Gabby getting more minutes. KLS #1 player getting 12 Mins a game: What about the walkons: Courney deserve that many minutes….Yadah yadah ….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom