On a personal note... | The Boneyard

On a personal note...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After much thought, I have decided to take a hiatus from the board.

I wanted to take a moment to bid a fond “au revoir” to the many board friends I have made here. (For those who may not know French, the literal translation of au revoir is “to the seeing again”. This isn’t goodbye…I am simply taking a break.)

My reasons for doing so are varied. Harry Chapin’s songs have provided me some of my most cherished and meaningful catch phrases for life – and he is the inspiration for the second part of my board handle. One of his songs includes the line “It’s got to be the going, not the getting there, that’s good. “ For me personally, right now, the going on the board just isn’t that good.

I will not share the reasons for my decision, but I will tell you what is not among those reasons:

It is not that I am no longer fan of UConn. I am now, and always will be, a die-hard Huskies fan. I love this team through thick and thin. They are not perfect, no one or team ever is. Win or lose, this is MY team and I will follow them as closely as ever.

It has NOTHING to do with the tone of some of the posts or replies. As a fan message board, I expect there to be passion that sometimes turns emotional and not always cordial. I take no issue with that. Others feel differently, and that is their right. I just wanted to make it clear that is NOT one of the reasons I am taking a break.

It has NOTHING to do with a grievance with any individual poster. We are all fans of UConn, another team or WCBB in general. There are some posters I “like” more than others. This is true for all of us. I am tolerant of most opinions, except when I perceive it as a personal attack on a player.

I would like to think over the years I have been a valuable contributor to the board. I may not be the most knowledgeable behind the x’s and o’s of basketball. Heck, I wouldn’t recognize a pick if I ran into it on the street. But I have tried to inject positive support of the team, express criticism of the team kindly, and inject a dose of humor here and there with some occasional good natured teasing. If others have been hurt by this teasing, I apologize. Have I always been the ideal poster? No, I have had my share of moments that I am not proud of. But when I have erred, been unjust or truly offended, I have apologized both publicly and personally via PM. I readily admit my faults. It is who I am.

I would like to say I will miss posting on the board, but in all honesty I cannot say that. But I will miss the camaraderie with some of the posters. I think they will know who they are.

If you wish to stay in touch with me, PM me. I will not be reading or responding to any threads. But I do not want to lose touch completely.

Finally, I wish each and every one of you well. Despite our personal differences, we share a common bond in UConn women's basketball and women's basketball in general. That is the one thing we can all agree on.

à bientôt – ‘till we meet again

GO HUSKIES!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I will miss you and hope that you come back to the board when you feel it is time to do so. I have found you to be an interesting, positive and compassionate poster. Happy holidays and "bon chance" to you. Till then - adieu!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't do it. If you step away you may find real life exists, and may never want to come back. You may find real people and have real conversations NOT about height and weight and who should be starting and why in the world Geno did that. It's a very slippery slope to step away.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Auf Wiedersehen!
Come back strong!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
sad_face-600x450.jpg

Reaction Score
I will miss your informed opinions and thoughtful insights. Come back soon.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I understand. You will be missed. There are some threads and posters that I also have found to be agenda based. I try to ignore and still enjoy the fun side to this board. Some of you are such pearls and your posts lighten up my day.

Reaction Score
I'm a new member to this board, but a longtime lurker.

I come from political and drag racing forums that are "slightly" less cordial than this board, so I took some time to decide if I really wanted to join a forum like the Boneyard, that in my opinion is absolutely civilized. As a matter of fact, this board is so sweet, I've developed moderate levels of tooth decay simply by logging in.

When I decided to join here, I made the decision that I would avoid confrontation and refrain from any post that could be construed as a personal attack. It's actually far easier to be "nice" than I thought, because let's face it, who wants to get into a REAL beef over a collegiate sport, or attack the wonderful young women and their coaches who dedicate themselves to it???

I mainly post on the planet's most popular drag racing forum called Yellow Bullet "Where the Weak are Killed and Eaten". It is a multi-sectioned board, with topics ranging from drag racing, to politics, to cooking. Although it's sections are moderated, the policy is that almost nothing is off limits and if you aren't up to the challenge, take a hike. A very difficult proposition, even for those that consider themselves to be thick skinned.

While you have not spelled out your reason(s) for taking a break from the board, all I can say is, if it has anything to do with conflict on any level, my advice would be to sign up to Yellow Bullet and spend some time in the political section. In short order, you will come back to the Boneyard and suffer from the same issues with "immaculate" cavities as I do.

It is refreshing to engage here compared to most other landing spots in cyberspace and after much deliberation, I'm glad I joined and by looking at your sign-up and post history, I expect you'll miss it before too long.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chappette, best wishes! I hope your break gives you what you need.

We'll miss you!

But if we lose again this season, I'm blaming the bad mojo on you! :) Just kidding, of course.

MH

Reaction Score
Sounds like depression...People can give up and ignore something they have loved forever...I hope you have a supporting cast.
As for knowing what a pick is I think you have a clue. I will say a ice pick could be a weapon or a wonderfull thing to chop ice for a refreshing drink!
Take some time relax and chop some ice and have a nice what ever you like while listening to Harry make magic with his guitar pick!

Good luck hope you are back in the fold soon....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Chappy,
Now that I am home and in front of a computer - man, I am going to miss you. Please take the time you need but please reconsider and come back. I will miss your posts, wisdom and humor.

I too have some frustration with this board, but I also know that it is possible to stand above the fray. Sometimes, folks are going to do and say what they feel is appropriate, and there is NOTHING you can do to stop them from thinking or saying it, even if you completely disagree, even if it is disparaging or hurtful to you or others.

You cannot change their thinking - so stop trying. At the end of the day, should you ever walk in their shoes, you may gain a better understanding of their points. Walking in another's shoes always gives a better perspective. Then again, walking in their shoes may point to a different viewpoint, one that more or less agrees with your current way of thinking. However, this does not matter, because you still cannot change their thinking. You can only change your thinking, and you can know in your heart of hearts that you would be different, and in that you can have peace. Sometimes we call that resolving to potential, where resolving the problem completely cannot be achieved.

It is the right of the individual within their own space only, and remember this after all is cyber space.

Finally, I give you this:

Serenity to accept the things you cannot change.
Courage to change the things that you are able to change.
Wisdom to know the difference.

post script

You have after all, Bon Coeur.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Sorry to see you taking a Boneyard vacation.
Hope to see you back soon.
You are an asset to the board.

Reaction Score
Bon voyage, Chappette...and bon chance wherever your travels take you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom