[LINK]

WNBA Will Review Liberty's
Hiring of Isiah Thomas

[LINK]

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Financial stability and it's not even close. Just listen to the interview with Dee where she talks about Russian billionaires who like WBB and who pay to support their teams. Bottom line, if Clarence Thomas can be voted in as a Supreme Court Justice in spite of the sexual harassment charges, and testimony, by Anita Hill, then I think the WNBA can move on from Isiah Thomas' sexual misconduct issues from 2007...

Reaction Score
I think the WNBA should reject his ownership, and I look forward to the showdown. But one of the consequences might be James Dolan just says, "I cannot operate a business (one which is losing money) where I do not have the governance authority to hire my own management, so I'm shutting it down and vacating the New York WNBA franchise." This would be a positive cash flow decision for him and MSG. I don't know what kind of commitment he has with the NBA to continue to float the team, but I'm guessing none since other NBA teams have bailed.

Reaction Score
Eric, as much as the truth of what you have to say angers me, I think that your analysis of the situation is correct and that it is sad but true that integrity takes a back seat to finance in business and politics, and that pro sports are among the worst offenders. (see the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice episode, Major League Baseball turning a blind eye to steroids{which forever damaged the validity of lifetime hitting and pitching records}, the NBA's extended tolerance of drugs, guns and violence by some of their top players, and the NHL's refusal to stop fighting because they feel it puts fannies in the seats).

I tell those I know who are not insightful enough to appreciate women's sports, and in particular basketball, that the games are played well, the girls stay for four years, the fan base is loyal, and that for the most part big money doesn't call the shots. (How many Division I women's basketball teams turn a profit for their schools?).

But of course that logic is flawed and simple minded. D is sitting out a year when she has so few left (whatever number of years she eventually plays it will not be enough) because a Russian tycoon is paying her not play. Jewell left one of the most prestigious sports schools in the country and the second most impressive women's basketball program to turn pro early. And Isiah Thomas is, against all common sense, about to take the reins of another sports franchise that he'll torque and twist until it collapses.

And it looks as if no one can, or will, do anything about it.

Reaction Score
Sorry Eric - If I were to post a reply to this, the thread would be closed.

Financial . Bottom line, if Clarence Thomas can be voted in as a Supreme Court Justice in spite of the sexual harassment charges, and testimony, by Anita Hill, then I think the WNBA can move on from Isiah Thomas' sexual misconduct issues from 2007...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Financial stability and it's not even close. Just listen to the interview with Dee where she talks about Russian billionaires who like WBB and who pay to support their teams. Bottom line, if Clarence Thomas can be voted in as a Supreme Court Justice in spite of the sexual harassment charges, and testimony, by Anita Hill, then I think the WNBA can move on from Isiah Thomas' sexual misconduct issues from 2007...

The testimony by Anita Hill may have actually helped Thomas to get confirmed. Remember his statement about "a high tech lynching" that resonated with committee members?

Thomas v. Hill was a "he said-she said" confrontation. Clarence Thomas was confirmed as a Supreme. The Isiah Thomas case was adjudicated in court and MSG was forced to pony up $11.6 million for Thomas's errant behavior.

Different forums; different circumstances; far different outcomes.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
reject him. Let him threaten to shut down or sell. SOMEBODY take a stand.
The Liberty would be welcome in SF, and there's an owner who would be glad to take them off Dolan's hands. Lots of fans. And Brittany Boyd could have her family cheer on a regular basis.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I agree with Gate 81, call his bluff.
But be prepared for the consequences.
This Dolan character is a jerk with too much money
And the brain and social consciousness the size of a pea.

Reaction Score
So Thomas and MSG management, in supporting Thomas, cost Dolan and MSG $11.5 million dollars. Then Dolan goes and hires Thomas back. What is Dolan's agenda? Or does Thomas have something on Dolan? I'd love to know how that hire came about. It is possible that Dolan is more disliked in New York than Steinbrenner.

Same post, different topic. I just watched 'Anita - Speaking Truth to Power' on Netflix about Anita Hill's life. Worth watching.

Reaction Score
So Thomas and MSG management, in supporting Thomas, cost Dolan and MSG $11.5 million dollars. Then Dolan goes and hires Thomas back. What is Dolan's agenda? Or does Thomas have something on Dolan? I'd love to know how that hire came about. It is possible that Dolan is more disliked in New York than Steinbrenner.

Same post, different topic. I just watched 'Anita - Speaking Truth to Power' on Netflix about Anita Hill's life. Worth watching.
Absolutely more disliked than George not even close. George's teams won championships despite his messing with his GM and manager. Dolan's Knicks have won nothing. Isaiah had his hand in that as well and Dolan forced the Carmelo trade giving up half his team when he could have had him as a free agent 4 months later.

Reaction Score
The testimony by Anita Hill may have actually helped Thomas to get confirmed. Remember his statement about "a high tech lynching" that resonated with committee members?

Thomas v. Hill was a "he said-she said" confrontation. Clarence Thomas was confirmed as a Supreme. The Isiah Thomas case was adjudicated in court and MSG was forced to pony up $11.6 million for Thomas's errant behavior.

Different forums; different circumstances; far different outcomes.

Also there was some fairly significant evidence that Hill had made up at least part of her story.

Reaction Score

I don't believe the case against Isaiah Thomas was adjudicated in court. The parties came to an agreement out of court without Isaiah admitting guilt. If it was in court, I'd like to see evidence of that.

Just saying, for the sake of truth and not for or against anyone. Why would msg pay 11.5 million if there was nothing there? Don't know and I will not speculate.

Also, just because a person is accused of something, particularly sexual harassment, does not mean guilt. I was accused of that and it was totally false. ('he said she said'...) The agency I worked for, which supported people with disabilities, knew that, I believe, but was afraid of the accuser taking the case out of their hands. And whether they were right or wrong in putting this in my file, it would've looked bad, no matter how it turned out, had it gone public. I fought them, but didn't press it. (Probably should have had counsel.)

Just saying, that's all. I'm not arguing the point about about sexual harassment, just about judging people without knowing the whole truth. And further have no desire to continue discussion.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the case against Isaiah Thomas was adjudicated in court. The parties came to an agreement out of court without Isaiah admitting guilt. If it was in court, I'd like to see evidence of that.
Just saying, for the sake of truth and not for or against anyone. Why would msg pay 11.5 million if there
was nothing there? Don't know and I will not speculate.
(My previous post).

'Asketh and you shall receiveth': My bad. Just saw an article about this and the case WAS ADJUDICATED in court. My apologies to 'kibitzer'.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After reading the Storms letter to the WNBA---the Wnba has only one choice--to not accept thomas in any capacity with a WNBA team. To me the verdict is in and the case should be closed. Thomas is OUT.

Reaction Score
Eric, as much as the truth of what you have to say angers me, I think that your analysis of the situation is correct and that it is sad but true that integrity takes a back seat to finance in business and politics, and that pro sports are among the worst offenders. (see the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice episode, Major League Baseball turning a blind eye to steroids{which forever damaged the validity of lifetime hitting and pitching records}, the NBA's extended tolerance of drugs, guns and violence by some of their top players, and the NHL's refusal to stop fighting because they feel it puts fannies in the seats).

I tell those I know who are not insightful enough to appreciate women's sports, and in particular basketball, that the games are played well, the girls stay for four years, the fan base is loyal, and that for the most part big money doesn't call the shots. (How many Division I women's basketball teams turn a profit for their schools?).

But of course that logic is flawed and simple minded. D is sitting out a year when she has so few left (whatever number of years she eventually plays it will not be enough) because a Russian tycoon is paying her not play. Jewell left one of the most prestigious sports schools in the country and the second most impressive women's basketball program to turn pro early. And Isiah Thomas is, against all common sense, about to take the reins of another sports franchise that he'll torque and twist until it collapses.

And it looks as if no one can, or will, do anything about it.
I think the STORM team is taking a big stand against I. Thomas. Rice got favorable status once his k.o.ed girl friend stood by him--what some women think is love or is it the money? But the STORM has cited by laws and specifics that to me make it impossible for the WNBA to do anything except rejection of I.Thomas's employment/management or any capacity in the WNBA. This could be the beginning of the END for the WNBA--it's not on solid financial ground.

Reaction Score
After reading the Storms letter to the WNBA---the Wnba has only one choice--to not accept thomas in any capacity with a WNBA team. To me the verdict is in and the case should be closed. Thomas is OUT.
I could be mistaken, but I believe the WNBA has the right to approve ownership, but not management. Dolan can hire anyone he wants to be team president, but if that president is going to be part owner, the ownership portion is subject to WNBA approval. I don't know how many teams would need to vote 'nay' in order to nix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom