OMG: (non-UConn) 2 ACL tears in 5 minutes | The Boneyard

OMG: (non-UConn) 2 ACL tears in 5 minutes

Reaction Score
Unfort athletes of both sexes have gotten bigger, faster, stronger and quicker but tendons and ligaments have not evolved.
Ligaments and tendons can only take so much pounding and cutting.

All these injuries are so sad and sometimes grousome. I know especially in NFL it's getting hard to watch. I feel like there's an ACL or ankle injury every game.

No real way to fix this

Reaction Score
From what I've read, specific exercises to strengthen the muscles associated with leg joints can do much to reduce injury. But women's leg structure hip to knee is like a "V" whereas men's legs are more vertical thereby reducing stress on men's knee joints compared with women's. I wonder if some programs pay less attention to proper exercise?

Reaction Score
Unfort athletes of both sexes have gotten bigger, faster, stronger and quicker but tendons and ligaments have not evolved.
Ligaments and tendons can only take so much pounding and cutting.

All these injuries are so sad and sometimes grousome. I know especially in NFL it's getting hard to watch. I feel like there's an ACL or ankle injury every game.

No real way to fix this

I recently read an article(can't find it or I would link it) that stated the use of controlled amounts Human Growth Hormone would provide significant collagen synthesis in tendon and ligament growth and would prevent a large number of injuries. HGH has also been shown to help athletes heal minor injuries up to 6x faster and thus not allowing them to become major injuries. I realize that the use of any performance enhancing supplement by athletes is a touchy topic but it just might be the lesser of two evils when compared to the number of serious tendon/ligament injuries.

Reaction Score
I recently read an article(can't find it or I would link it) that stated the use of controlled amounts Human Growth Hormone would provide significant collagen synthesis in tendon and ligament growth and would prevent a large number of injuries. HGH has also been shown to help athletes heal minor injuries up to 6x faster and thus not allowing them to become major injuries. I realize that the use of any performance enhancing supplement by athletes is a touchy topic but it just might be the lesser of two evils when compared to the number of serious tendon/ligament injuries.

There have been several studies on using HGH to speed up healing from ACL surgery. A big ongoing one is at the University of Michigan. Also a few using rats. However I haven't seen any actual studies as to preventative value of HGH. I think there is only speculation at this point as to if it would help prevent torn ACL's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom