Omar | The Boneyard

Omar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was definitely one of the worst halves of ball I've seen from us in a while, and yes, at times, he looked like a freshman (especially the 2 egregious first half TOs), but I was impressed by his effort tonight. From the buzzer beater to end the 1st to the offensive rebound at the end, he truly cared tonight from beginning to end. He gets it, but just needs to work hard on some of his fundamentals to take the step. Tough result to find positives from, but his performance against the best team in the nation was commendable.

Reaction Score
He has a chance to be really good if he works on his handle and passing.

Reaction Score
Shot the ball very well. 20 points. However 6 TO's with zero assist. Needs to improve his handle. Very loose with his passes.

Reaction Score
After those TOs I wanted Evans or Giffey in there. But I was wrong. I still think he should never dribble more than once though.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons why I can't wait until next year, gonna have to deal with the growing pains with him this year but I fully expect him to eventually be that 3rd option to take pressure off of Boat/Bazz. With the way Lou defends I honestly wasn't expecting anything out of him tonight, hopefully he carries this performance with him going forward.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
but I was impressed by his effort tonight.

If by effort you mean he made a few jumpers, I agree. But he played too much bad basketball to get many kudos tonight.

Reaction Score
Shot the ball very well. 20 points. However 6 TO's with zero assist. Needs to improve his handle. Very loose with his passes.
Absolutely the fundamentals he needs to improve upon. Terrifying when dribbling, even basic pawing for that matter. But he will be needed next year to make a run if SN and RB stay.

Reaction Score
Omar was a mixed bag tonight. Which is ok. A freshman who shows strong flashes against the #1 team in the country can build on that moving forward.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He's still learning but I would be extremely surprised if he weren't a special player by his junior year. Of course without support that won't happen. But I expect KO to have decent players by OC's junior and senior year.

Reaction Score
The book on him out of high school is pretty damn accurate. Two guard who struggles in a few areas but is a really good scorer for someone with a weird looking shot.

Reaction Score
they needed to get hm more shots, he was the only one who could shoot tonite.

Reaction Score
He got 20 and I'm happy for him.......can't be happy with his inability to pass the ball (worst than Rash Jones)......at 6'3" he should be able to handle the ball better and not turn it over 6 times, and lucky it wasn't more. But he's a freshman and we have to have patience I guess......

Reaction Score
He got 20 and I'm happy for him.......can't be happy with his inability to pass the ball (worst than Rash Jones)......at 6'3" he should be able to handle the ball better and not turn it over 6 times, and lucky it wasn't more. But he's a freshman and we have to have patience I guess......

This is why I had to laugh at the lineup thread from a week ago suggesting more time for Omar with just one PG in there(either Boat or Bazz). You can't have Omar in there with just one ballhandler and expect him to be the secondary ballhandler and make decisions with the ball, he's a disaster with the ball in hands.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Omar's 20 points were negated by his 6 TO's.

Reaction Score
Omar's 20 points were negated by his 6 TO's.

True. But I think that is negated by the fact that he's a freshman who was facing unusually tough defensive pressure.

Either way, an uneven performance with 20 points vs the #1 team as a freshman is acceptable. He was also 6-9 from the floor, which is good and bad. Good because that's a great percentage (even with a blown bunny), but bad because that's only nine shots. Maybe he didn't do enough to assert himself offensively on a night he had it going.

Maybe next year, he shoots 9-16 for 28 points on a day like this with only 3 turnovers and it's a more complete effort.

Reaction Score
To say that his ball handling is shaky is a huge understatement, but the kid has some stones. He hit that huge 3 in overtime against Marquette to put us up 1, and hit a really big one last night after Louisville tied it up to put us back up 3. He had some huge turnovers but it was still good to see him have a big scoring night against a good team. He hasn't had many of those to this point.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Woof about Omar's TO's against a very good team that turns the ball over as well as any team in America this year, fine. RB had 5 TOs. I know, he had 5 assists, but last night was a mixed bag for a lot of kids. I never jump to conclusions from one game, and I agree the OC needs to be better with the ball, but he was a prime reason we had such a nice first half last and against the best team he has probably ever faced.

Reaction Score
Woof about Omar's TO's against a very good team that turns the ball over as well as any team in America this year, fine. RB had 5 TOs. I know, he had 5 assists, but last night was a mixed bag for a lot of kids. I never jump to conclusions from one game, and I agree the OC needs to be better with the ball, but he was a prime reason we had such a nice first half last and against the best team he has probably ever faced.

He played very hard until the very end, even after we had no chance, and he wasn't afraid to mix it up against one of the best teams in the country. Those are good signs for the future.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He played very hard until the very end, even after we had no chance, and he wasn't afraid to mix it up against one of the best teams in the country. Those are good signs for the future.

It was beyond playing hard until the end, he was the only one on the floor who stayed emotionally up through the drubbing. A lot of guys continued to hustle but only Omar had fight in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom