Omar Calhoun's cieling? | The Boneyard

Omar Calhoun's cieling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The Freshman showed a spark last night vs a Top team, what do you think about him going forward. What is his UConn/beyond potential?

Thus far he seams to love the 3 ball, but @ CK he drove the lane and took a lot of foul shots. I think he needs to work on his Handel but I understand he's finding his role on a team with 2 lane crashes in Bazz/Boat. Thoughts?

GemParty

Reaction Score
Oh lord, where's the spelling police?

Reaction Score
I think he has the potential to be a better version of Dyson. He's a natural scorer and can hit the 3. I'd like to see him drive and slash a little more. He is one of the better frosh in the country and hasn't even scratched the surface yet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh lord, where's the spelling police?

What's wrong with the spelling?

I, too, think he should work on his Handel. Actually, we all should.

The Baroque revival is here to stay and if the young man is going to be conversational on the topic, I don't think I'm stretching fact to say that Handel was one of the most important composers of the day. And his influence on Beethoven and Brahms is not even in question.

Very thoughtful topic starter, Gem. Thank you.

Reaction Score
can't call it at this point, I had no idea his ballhandling and passing ability would be this bad, especially for a 6'3"-6'4" guy. I have to see what kind of improvement he shows from this year to next year in those two areas because that can be pretty crippling to his development if he can't make more than a couple of dribbles without turning it over.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At worst he's a reliable spot up three point shooter, sixth man. He ceiling is still limitless. He's a freshman.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
he has good athleticism, but is very inefficient at using it. He will score a ton of points in college, but if he doesn't change his shot than he's gonna struggle at the next level. A set shot 3 and a low release on his jumper is not going to work for a 6'5 shooting guard/small forward in the NBA. I can see him making a huge jump from his freshman to sophomore year, but then leveling off in terms of showing NBA potential. This happened with Shabazz. Solid freshman year, big jump in sophomore year, improved going into junior year. However, the improvements have been decision making, shooting percentage etc. All the things that make you a better college player, but doesn't necessarily translate to the NBA if you don't have the size and athleticism to execute the improved skills. If Calhoun ends up as a taller version of Ashton Gibbs, than that would be an ideal scenario from my point of view. I think dyson was quicker and more explosive, than calhoun. I think he can improve that, but most college strength programs are too basic to maximize this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The Baroque revival is here to stay and if the young man is going to be conversational on the topic, I don't think I'm stretching fact to say that Handel was one of the most important composers of the day. And his influence on Beethoven and Brahms is not even in question.

Well you know what they say: "If it ain't Baroque....

Reaction Score
Because Ville was concentrating on shutting down boat and Bazz, he was getting open shots last night more so than usual. I was impressed how he hit the boards even after the game was no longer in doubt. He needs to work on his ball handling and decision making but what freshman doesn't.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If he can't learn to dribble effectively against top competition, he'll turn into a Rashad Anderson/Denham Brown hybrid.

GemParty

Reaction Score

I'm glad to have inspired you. When's the next road game rally? City Steam or other?

Reaction Score
A rashad Anderson denham brown hybrid ? that would be stellar. I see him learning to use his size and strength much more next year. he has potential to be a good passer he sees the court , just physically doesn't pass the ball well.

Reaction Score
If he can't learn to dribble effectively against top competition, he'll turn into a Rashad Anderson/Denham Brown hybrid.

I assume that was meant to be an insult, but if you added Anderson's shot and onions to Denham's all around skills you'd have a second or third team All American.

Reaction Score
I don't think his ceiling is limitless.

He is limited because he is not a GREAT athlete. He is a good IQ ballplayer (without a Handel) who is a solid scorer. He has the mindset to make shots. But, I don't see him advancing to some ungodly defensive player nor attacking the rim like Daniels or even Dyson. He is a solid D1 ballplayer.

Reaction Score
I don't think his ceiling is limitless.

He is limited because he is not a GREAT athlete. He is a good IQ ballplayer (without a Handel) who is a solid scorer. He has the mindset to make shots. But, I don't see him advancing to some ungodly defensive player nor attacking the rim like Daniels or even Dyson. He is a solid D1 ballplayer.
He's the best athlete on our team and next years. he has great size for the two. he can't be as 'good' as Daniels attacking the rim ? Really?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The kid obviously has a ton of potential - he's a freshman averaging about 11 points a game which isn't terribly common at UConn.

The one thing I do notice about him is that he tends to drop his head when he puts the ball on the floor - when you look at the floor while you're moving, you tend to lose sight of the rest of the court. And the players on it who might want to take the ball from you.

Reaction Score
He's going to score an awful lot of points during his 4 year career. And it will be a 4 year career - I don't think NBA teams are going to be big fans of his "jump" shot. Not because it doesn't go in often enough, but because they won't think he'll get it off at the next level.

Reaction Score
A better athlete than Boat?
I'm involving frame and strength into the whole great athlete definition. he has a grown mans body. he reminds me of mo Evans . His ceiling isn't solid contributor , depending on his development he can play at the next level.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is a unique player. He has tremendous shot-making ability both from deep and the mid-range. I think it is clear that once he gets his sea-legs he will also be very efficient from the floor. As a shooter/scorer he is very impressive. His defense, at best, has been average. He's not locking anyone down, but you can see the athleticism and size that he could get there.

However, he is limited by his real lack of handle and pass-making ability. He just is not a natural passer at all. It is really terrible to watch. In his 10+ games he has thrown some of the all-time dumb/awful passes in UConn history.

Calhoun will be a 45-50% FG shooter, around 40%3pt, 85%FT shooter if he never gets any better on the dribble. It is how he develops his skill/composure there that will determine his career.

By his senior year i see him posting 18 PPG though, and that is always a valuable commodity.

Reaction Score
I think the ceiling is high for him. He can shoot the 3, he can make free throws. He sees the floor well and spots the open man just has difficulty getting the ball there. I think he needs to learn to move more without the ball, I'd like to see him in perpetual motion like Ray and Rip were. And he needs to hit that mid range jumper coming off screens. It seemed that after his turnovers last night he'd make a shot to kind of redeem himself. In time going to be a solid 2/3 for us.

Reaction Score
I'm involving frame and strength into the whole great athlete definition. he has a grown mans body. he reminds me of mo Evans . His ceiling isn't solid contributor , depending on his development he can play at the next level.

Gotcha, I figured that is what you were factoring into your evaluation.

caw

Reaction Score
His shot looked a bit different this game. Slightly longer, higher release.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Responding to others:

A Denham Brown/Rashad Anderson hybrid would be a great player. But he has the potential to be really really special, and if he can't put the ball down on the deck and drive and dribble he won't get there. He needs a lot of work on the little things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom