Omar a No-Show | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Omar a No-Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
uskiePop, post: 814145, member: 1609"]Neither Kromah or Samual has the ability to put a good team away. OC does
Rewatch some games from last year especially Cuse.
He never had a D1 handle and actually might be little better this year.
His forte is shooting. That's a confidence thing which can change at any moment.
Wth r u talking about. Who put away Washington.[/quote]
Cuse was a FF team last year are u comparing them to Washington.

Reaction Score
No debating that Omar has been an absolute trainwreck this season. However, when he is right, he can flat out fill it up. I think he still has 20 point games in his future. My guess is that they will come sometime next season though. I think he needs a real good off season to build his confidence and return to form.

Reaction Score
If the question is who finished off Washington it was Bazz and Boat. Kromah changed the game in the first half and was our Player of the Game, but he had 2 points in the last 15 minutes. Bazz and Boat had 20 of our last 27 points (Bazz 11, Boat 9, Nolan 4, Kromah 2, OC 1).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the question is who finished off Washington it was Bazz and Boat. Kromah changed the game in the first half and was our Player of the Game, but he had 2 points in the last 15 minutes. Bazz and Boat had 20 of our last 27 points (Bazz 11, Boat 9, Nolan 4, Kromah 2, OC 1).
I guess defense doesn't count as finishing a game. I've seen him lockdown the other team's best player a few times. must say i was expecting more of calhoun the way he was talked about before the season. A lot of those guys that were giving him a lot of praise seem to be turning on him. smh.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's not getting it done. I don't know why, all I've read here is speculation. The real problem he has is that he's struggling to beat out Neils and LK for time, and next year, he gets to earn that time against Purvis and DHamilton, with Deandre probably seeing more time at the 3 as well (I don't see him jumping into this draft). If it is a health issue, maybe he can earn some minutes (but I doubt a starting spot). <snip> .

Last edited by a moderator:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not reading through this whole thread but I thought OC's body language and effort Saturday were much better than they'd been in a long time.

He's still not up to speed as a defender but he at least appeared to be trying on Saturday. As if he knew what he was supposed to do and where to be.

The scoring will be a lagging indicator of improved play for him.

Let's be realistic. He isn't ever going to be a lockdown defender or a 20 ppg scorer. But he can still be an effective starter or 6th man off the bench.

Way too early to write him off entirely.

Reaction Score
He has been very unimpressive- but for some reason I think if the light bulb goes off- he might improve in a big way and fast. I have no reason- just a feeling. It's all effort and being comfortable getting better while he is healing and learning. If he thought he was one of these entitled kids that was going to be here 2-3 years and go to the NBA then progress may never be made.

Reaction Score
hyperthink said:
I guess defense doesn't count as finishing a game. I've seen him lockdown the other team's best player a few times. must say i was expecting more of calhoun the way he was talked about before the season. A lot of those guys that were giving him a lot of praise seem to be turning on him. smh.

He has certainly had some good moments on D, but you picked the wrong game (should have gone with Indiana). In the UW game, he had to be pulled off Wilcox because he kept losing him off the ball. We had to put Napier on him. He also left Stiggers inexplicably on the tying three by Houston with a minute left (after losing him back door a minute earlier) and had a couple bad defensive breakdowns against Harvard ball watching and totally losing his man (as in not within 10 feet of him). He needs to focus better late in games. That type of breakdown ends your season in March.

All that said, Kromah clearly deserves to start (and finish). He's actually not only been very good on D, but he's the best choice for a third creator. His passing has improved as the season has gone on. OC has melted down to nothing, and hopefully can get it together enough to give us a couple buckets off the bench and then put in a good offseason to get his game back.

Reaction Score
A shooting slump is one thing because he can shoot his way out of it and it is certainly something all shooters have to deal with. Lapses on defense are another thing. If his hips arent 100% and it hurts or he simply cannot twist, turn, accelerate or decelerate as fast as last year - he cant shoot his way out of it. His hands are what worries me now. He cant seem to make or catch a pass like he used to. Against UCF he bobbled a pass that led to a steal and an instant 3rd(?) foul on Brimah. If he catches the pass Brimah's doesnt get caught off guard on defense and the foul, obviously, doesnt occur. This is probably due to confidence and not as much playing time. Hope he gets better. He seems like a good kid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A shooting slump is one thing because he can shoot his way out of it and it is certainly something all shooters have to deal with.

This is true.. But is he a shooter? Obviously, HE SHOOTS but I've seen him clang way too many wide open 3's to be labeled as such. At this point, I'm trying to figure out what he does well.

Reaction Score
Omar had an unusual stroke last year. I cannot tell, but are they trying to change it to a more classic action? Might explain a lot. Everyone is in the laboratory and hope they all turn out like Amida vs. UCF.

Reaction Score
What is it with UConn guards in their sophomore year? Kamba played 100 mph and out of control, Napier was mopey the whole year, and Omar now is mentally checked out. I guess the good news for him is there are better days ahead

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Most potential based on what?

Kromah is one of the better defensive players we've had in recent years and can take it to the rack.

Giffey plays tough D, shoots lights out and mixes it up for boards.

Like OC but aside from having two more seasons to play, I don't where all this " upside" is being predicted upon? The factthat he was a 5 star recruit and a volume scorer? I know it seems I'm coming off anti-Omar but I think it detracts from our other guys by not giving them credit.

And certainly high quality recruits sometimes fail to pan out. Stick Robinson, Roscoe Smith, Albert Mouring, etc etc. OC may bust out with some terrific performances, ....or he might not.

Reaction Score
I seriously think his injury was strongly understated and the recovery period is taking longer than (we) expected. I haven't been cutting him much slack, but perhaps he's just not ready to come back. As a shooter you have to be in total sync and I think he just isn't. Get better Omar

Reaction Score
As someone noted above, from where did the legend of Omar's talent originate?

The guy's per 40 numbers are the same or worse than last year, and last year he was about as good as he seems to be now.

Where did all the hype come from that this guy was going to be a great 3 point shooter?

Last year, in his last 7 games, from 3 he shot:

1/3, 3/5, 1/5, 0/0, 2/5, 3/5, 1/6, 1/9. That's 12 for 38. That's 31%.

D'Oh? What? That was after his hips started bothering him?

Okay.

In his first 9 games, from 3 he shot:

0/1, 2/4, 0/4, 2/5, 1/3, 3/6, 0/4, 1/4, 0/4. That's 9/35. That's 26%.

His assists per 40 last year were 1.6. This year it is 0.8. His turnovers are up to 2.6 from 2.3. His rebounds are down to 4.5 from 4.9. Steals are down to 0.5 from 1.2. His 2 point % is down to 43% from 50.

Point is,
Omar is just not very good, and Omar has not been good since he's been at UConn.

Why do so many people believe that this kid simply needs to "break out of a slump"? A two year slump?

The fact that he has very poor shooting form and a low release does not work to his favor.

It's great that he toughed it out and stayed with UConn through a ban year, but enough's enough. He's had his chance and then some to earn his spot.

His minutes should start going to Facey or to other players.

We don't "need him to make a deep run." That myth needs to be set aside.

What we need is somebody who can rebound more than 4 in a 40 minute stretch and not be a black hole who is an incredibly streaky shooter.

Play Facey - it's hard to imagine we'd be losing much, overall, with the substitution, and I don't care about 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s, because if Omar can't pass, and his shooting is crap, and he has a very weak handle, then what difference does it make what number we put on him or Facey?

Reaction Score
As someone noted above, from where did the legend of Omar's talent originate?

The guy's per 40 numbers are the same or worse than last year, and last year he was about as good as he seems to be now.

Where did all the hype come from that this guy was going to be a great 3 point shooter?

Last year, in his last 7 games, from 3 he shot:

1/3, 3/5, 1/5, 0/0, 2/5, 3/5, 1/6, 1/9. That's 12 for 38. That's 31%.

D'Oh? What? That was after his hips started bothering him?

Okay.

In his first 9 games, from 3 he shot:

0/1, 2/4, 0/4, 2/5, 1/3, 3/6, 0/4, 1/4, 0/4. That's 9/35. That's 26%.

His assists per 40 last year were 1.6. This year it is 0.8. His turnovers are up to 2.6 from 2.3. His rebounds are down to 4.5 from 4.9. Steals are down to 0.5 from 1.2. His 2 point % is down to 43% from 50.

Point is,
Omar is just not very good, and Omar has not been good since he's been at UConn.

Why do so many people believe that this kid simply needs to "break out of a slump"? A two year slump?

The fact that he has very poor shooting form and a low release does not work to his favor.

It's great that he toughed it out and stayed with UConn through a ban year, but enough's enough. He's had his chance and then some to earn his spot.

His minutes should start going to Facey or to other players.

We don't "need him to make a deep run." That myth needs to be set aside.

What we need is somebody who can rebound more than 4 in a 40 minute stretch and not be a black hole who is an incredibly streaky shooter.

Play Facey - it's hard to imagine we'd be losing much, overall, with the substitution, and I don't care about 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s, because if Omar can't pass, and his shooting is crap, and he has a very weak handle, then what difference does it make what number we put on him or Facey?

Your one sentence paragraphs are giving me a migraine.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Facey would be a little out of his element trying to guard a much smaller, quicker perimeter player.

Reaction Score
Strummer his minutes are way down and going elsewhere as we speak. Maybe he shouldn't get off the bench I get it, but it won't be Facey. At some point in his career maybe Kentan will become a guy who can guard 6'4-6'5 guys from the wing but for now if he could he'd be out there. Plus taking him away from the basket when his strength is rebounding the ball would be worthless.

We get your love for Omar has vanished, many others confidence has waned here also and for good reason. Again, not a guy to give up on for so may reasons! As champs said try to keep those paragraphs together somehow no one can reply because it would take a whole page up……."Ball don't lie"

Reaction Score
Bump.

Good lift in the 1st half.. Now let's see how he progresses moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom