Olympic Training Camp | The Boneyard

Olympic Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
14 photos from USA Women's National Team Practice at UConn- Feb. 21
Olympic_pics_2-21.png
Interesting: I knew that CD was involved with Geno in this training, but I didn't realize that Shea and Marissa would also be on the sideline, and that Jasmine Lister would be on the court. Must have been fun to watch!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okay, I missed this. Seems the entire Husky wbb team was on the sidelines as seen in photo #10. Cool!

Spy.png

Well, maybe NOT! Won't Kia be a member of the Canadian Olympic team. I can see the headlines now, "Head Coach Allows Competitor's Team Spy To Watch Training Camp Practice." I fear the US Women's Olympic Basketball Team is now doomed and Geno's coaching career kaput! :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Couple of stories written by Rich Elliot on the training camp:
http://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/news.aspx

The whole coaching staff has been involved in USA basketball for the last 7 years in one capacity or another - helping on the floor, doing scouting and other support activity. Would not be surprised to see Jen there on some of the days if her schedule permits as she too has been involved through the years. This being the middle of WCBB season, I doubt Dawn or Doug has been able to fly in, so all the help available is appreciated.

What a thrill for the men's practice players and for players like Lawlor and Pulido

Reaction Score
Interesting article on the point guard position. I would have hoped that Jefferson could have gotten an invitation (more as an initiation - I don't think she makes the team). Certainly before Loyd who is not a point, when they have shooting guards.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting article on the point guard position. I would have hoped that Jefferson could have gotten an invitation (more as an initiation - I don't think she makes the team). Certainly before Loyd who is not a point, when they have shooting guards.
Wasn't her time yet, but I am sure she is paying very close attention during this camp. If she can acclimate quickly to the pro game she should be in the pool for the 18 WCs and then we shall see what she can do.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

It looks to me like they have the same amount of point guards and shooting guards.

PG - Bird, Diggins, January, Robinson, Vandersloot, Whalen
SG - Augustus, Loyd, McBride, McCoughtry, Taurasi, Sims

Reaction Score
Yeah, the article was about there not be an obvious PG "heir". Diggins could be a point guard of the future, health permitting. Not sure of the others who are younger than Bird/Whalen. Great opportunity for the UConn kids to observe the training.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It looks to me like they have the same amount of point guards and shooting guards.

PG - Bird, Diggins, January, Robinson, Vandersloot, Whalen
SG - Augustus, Loyd, McBride, McCoughtry, Taurasi, Sims

Looks like Diggins and Sims are not in camp to address rehabilitation and/or injuries, according to the Elliot report. Vandersloot seems to have gotten a good shout-out from Ms. Bird (I recall a post you wrote about her awhile back...).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yeah, the article was about there not be an obvious PG "heir". Diggins could be a point guard of the future, health permitting. Not sure of the others who are younger than Bird/Whalen. Great opportunity for the UConn kids to observe the training.

Sounds like Bird's vote is for Vandersloot, which I can get behind. I have said before that if "pass-first" is a must on the job description Vandersloot deserves serious consideration. I believe she was #1 in assists per game 2 years ago and 2nd only to Parker last year.

I think it's also important to develop the next generation of 2-guards given that Augustus, McCoughtry, and Taurasi are 31, 29, and 33, respectively. I'd guess this is probably Augustus' and Taurasi's last Olympic cycle.

I think Jefferson will be a part of the pool under consideration for '18 Worlds and subsequently the '20 Olympics. I don't think she would be out of place in this group, but I think you'd shave another PG rather than an SG. Either January or D-Rob.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So just an interesting situation - 16 players in camp plus three still playing in China makes 19 accounted for. The other six from the pool:
Chiney, Sims, and Diggins are rehabbing injuries
Lavender, Dupree, and January are missing with no published explanation. No idea what their other commitments are but USA takes this stuff pretty seriously because they really need what little time together they can get, and these three have been mostly on the outside looking in at the final 12 team members.

And I am a little surprised that the three injured players didn't make the trip too - I think the last camp in the spring had three players in attendance who were unable to actually get on the court, but were notably present and involved in the process. Just watching the practices and listening to the coaches can be invaluable as well as interacting with the other players in the pool. Especially true for these three who are only starting on the journey with the senior team.

Reaction Score
Coach Geno wraps up Day 2 and his closing remarks.

USA_6.png

Reaction Score
Okay, I missed this. Seems the entire Husky wbb team was on the sidelines. Cool!
Well, maybe NOT! Won't Kia be a member of the Canadian Olympic team. I can see the headlines now, "Head Coach Allows Competitor's Team Spy To Watch Training Camp Practice." I fear the US Women's Olympic Basketball Team is now doomed and Geno's coaching career kaput! :eek: :rolleyes:

Faced with the evidence, she confessed:

INSIDE INFORMATION?
The entire UConn team, when they didn't have classes to attend, were regular observers at the training camp

As a result, the leading scorer on the Canadian national team that earned an Olympic berth by winning the FIBA Americas Championship for Women got to see the defending Olympic champions in action.

"I texted my teammates and said 'I am sitting in enemy territory," UConn sophomore guard Kia Nurse said. "They said 'get as much (information) as you can.' All right, I am not going to get anything but all right.

"You get to see some of the best players in the world, their practicing tendencies and just the confidence that they have in having to pick things up so quickly."

[LINK]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member