Ollie observations | The Boneyard

Ollie observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First he didn't look like a rookie nor coach like one either. He was not intimidated and he had control of his team. He didn't favor our Germans,which I'm sure other coaches would have been tempted to do (putting players before the team)). He coached a late, tight game to perfection (tha'ts not easy to do). He matched up with one of the best coaches in basketball.

I could go on, but the reality is its only one game BUT what I saw is a natural born coach, who will coach college bball (somewhere) for many years. He certainly belongs in the coaching profession that much is obvious.

Reaction Score
No he sure didn't the way he was directing the players on the court. Did anybody else see the play where he was getting SN to move further by putting his hands on him when RB had the ball on the same side of the ball? He knows how spacing and movement is going to be critical to this teams success this year.

Reaction Score
great job by KO, but can he crush some cupcakes?

I'm honestly very concerned about the Vermont game, they're not a cupcake in the realm of say Texas Southern but they're a team we should beat. This will be another test to show how KO has a handle on the team, coming back from Germany with the time difference and riding a high after the win and maybe some overconfidence settling in. Its nowhere near the same as the Maui run but that team struggled mightily against New Hampshire their first game back.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm honestly very concerned about the Vermont game, they're not a cupcake in the realm of say Texas Southern but they're a team we should beat. This will be another test to show how KO has a handle on the team, coming back from Germany with the time difference and riding a high after the win and maybe some overconfidence settling in. Its nowhere near the same as the Maui run but that team struggled mightily against New Hampshire their first game back.

Let's hope and pray that Boat's ankle recovers very quickly cuz we won't be the same team if we dont' at least have Bazz and Boat both playing. Others played well in supporting roles, but none stepped up to make big shots (at least that I can recall right now).

But your point is a good one. Harder to win without the hype and adrenaline of a game like tonight's. Easy for young guys to lose their edge and focus.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Good point. It will be interesting to see if KO can keep the team focused.

Reaction Score
Let's hope and pray that Boat's ankle recovers very quickly cuz we won't be the same team if we dont' at least have Bazz and Boat both playing. Others played well in supporting roles, but none stepped up to make big shots (at least that I can recall right now).

But your point is a good one. Harder to win without the hype and adrenaline of a game like tonight's. Easy for young guys to lose their edge and focus.

Boat's ankle is a huge concern for me as well. After watching the replay, I'm amazed at the quality and intensity of his game the rest of the way. Once the ankle cools down, I'm sure he's going to be dealing with some swelling(and,hopefully,no ligament damage). If Omar had played with more confidence tonight(no surprise, in that environment, that he didn't...no knock on him but it was a big ask for a freshman), I'd feel better about Boat sitting for the Vermont game. He may have to no matter what.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT VERMONT!!!

Reaction Score
Ollie is coaching for his life right now. This team will be ready.

Reaction Score
KO did a super job. Cool, collected and in control even when the going was rough and the 16 points lead evaporated !!!!

Reaction Score
One thing i loved is that i think it was in the second half when shabazz went over and started bitching at the ref Ollie was having none of it and screamed to get back on defense. its a very small thing but when teams don't let the refs get in their head it can make a huge difference.

Reaction Score
KO is a great motivator, and proved he knows X's and O's. Really enjoyed the offense when we were clicking last night. At the end of the game in the interviews, he was completely selfless. The kids were ecstatic and played their hearts out. Way to go KO! I was in school in the KO era but never met him, wish I did.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
One thing it would have been nice to see was a quick in/out for Tolksdorf. Once in a lifetime memory missed as far as a moment on the court. Other than holding a trophy :) post game.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
KO is a great motivator, and proved he knows X's and O's. Really enjoyed the offense when we were clicking last night. At the end of the game in the interviews, he was completely selfless. The kids were ecstatic and played their hearts out. Way to go KO! I was in school in the KO era but never met him, wish I did.
I
I've met him several times over the years and what you saw postgame is KO. As Bilas said, and I hope Manuel heard, "As fine a coach he is, he's even a better man." Notice in the postgame the team all smiles; those smiles were for their short leash coach; they were so proud they didn't let him down and they said so. We're wittnessing the commencement of a fruitful career that will produce a parade of young men who have learned leadership at the hands of an expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom