old news about UT ? | The Boneyard

old news about UT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We won't address the allegations (and have forbidden our athletes to speak about same), but we all are hear to say it's all cow manure. Such PR events insult people's intelligence.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We won't address the allegations (and have forbidden our athletes to speak about same), but we all are hear to say it's all cow manure. Such PR events insult people's intelligence.
Not sure of your point regarding them not speaking about the complaints - once any dispute enters into the court system, everybody involved except the lawyers is told to shut up (by the lawyers.)

As for the PR - yeah!

There is a PR crisis when lawsuits are filed alleging wrongdoing and are then reported in the papers - the complaint is the only document out there initially and contains all the juicy bits, the institutions filing is typically just a denial and doesn't tip the publicity meter at all. So most institutions will try and counter the bad publicity with various 'PR' moves. PR may be used as a pejorative but it really is just public relations, as in trying to get good impressions out there. Good move by the coaches.

And Hart would have been a lot better off previously to try and involve the whole coaching fraternity in his other two 'PR' disasters, the consolidation of the AD and the rebranding - it might have gone a little smoother had it been a collaborative effort instead of a directive from above.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Today there was a post on Volnation about the presser which quoted a Facebook posting by someone associated with Vol athletics in some fashion - well known to Volamites I gather - Debbie Jenkins. I think she pretty much nails the unseemly essence of that news conference.

"You know what? I'm sorry. I've had it. Watching the BS news conference today made me sad. And mad. Listening to the current UT women's coaches gush over how great things are...BS. We have access to this, that, and the other now. Woo-hoo!! News alert women's coaches...if you were DENIED access in the past, that would have been a violation of Title IX. Who knew? Two of the women who were included in the most recent Title IX lawsuit include YOUR Lady Vol athletes. How dare you trade on your reputations for their humiliation. And you rah-rah and support Butch Jones? Despicable. Shame on all of you! Never thought I'd see people I believed in, and worked alongside of, display such questionable character and represent my University in women's athletics. Today was an ill-conceived damage control "fail". No wonder recruiting is suffering across the board in athletics."

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good move by the coaches.

I rarely disagree with anything you post, but I do think this is wrong. Let the AD and Pres office do the heavy lifting and low profile the female athletic coaches.

Frankly, Holly's early statement about using common sense and never go out alone at night on campus was the honest expression from her. The "all is ducky" presser by the assembled coaches is a very big fail. See the quote attributed to Debbie Jenkins in my post above.

Reaction Score
Today there was a post on Volnation about the presser which quoted a Facebook posting by someone associated with Vol athletics in some fashion - well known to Volamites I gather - Debbie Jenkins. I think she pretty much nails the unseemly essence of that news conference.

"You know what? I'm sorry. I've had it. Watching the BS news conference today made me sad. And mad. Listening to the current UT women's coaches gush over how great things are...bull . We have access to this, that, and the other now. Woo-hoo!! News alert women's coaches...if you were DENIED access in the past, that would have been a violation of Title IX. Who knew? Two of the women who were included in the most recent Title IX lawsuit include YOUR Lady Vol athletes. How dare you trade on your reputations for their humiliation. And you rah-rah and support Butch Jones? Despicable. Shame on all of you! Never thought I'd see people I believed in, and worked alongside of, display such questionable character and represent my University in women's athletics. Today was an ill-conceived damage control "fail". No wonder recruiting is suffering across the board in athletics."

I thought that press conference was reprehensible. I watched the documentary "The Hunting Grounds", which showed how college and university administrations regularly turn a blind eye to sexual assault, and almost never expel men found guilty of assault. I believe that the young women filing suit against UT, or against any university, should be taken seriously, and their allegations treated with respect. These allegations deserve to get a serious hearing in court, and not dismissed out of hand by anyone.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

"You know what? I'm sorry. I've had it. Watching the BS news conference today made me sad. And mad. Listening to the current UT women's coaches gush over how great things are...bull . We have access to this, that, and the other now. Woo-hoo!! News alert women's coaches...if you were DENIED access in the past, that would have been a violation of Title IX. Who knew? Two of the women who were included in the most recent Title IX lawsuit include YOUR Lady Vol athletes. How dare you trade on your reputations for their humiliation. And you rah-rah and support Butch Jones? Despicable. Shame on all of you! Never thought I'd see people I believed in, and worked alongside of, display such questionable character and represent my University in women's athletics. Today was an ill-conceived damage control "fail". No wonder recruiting is suffering across the board in athletics."

Debbie Jennings - hardly a disinterested part. One of Summitt's OGC members that was dumped when Hart combined the two athletic departments.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Debbie Jennings - hardly a disinterested part. One of Summitt's OGC members that was dumped when Hart combined the two athletic departments.

I seem to recall that Hart's consolidation cost Tenn some serious bucks in settling some claims.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I thought that press conference was reprehensible. I watched the documentary "The Hunting Grounds", which showed how college and university administrations regularly turn a blind eye to sexual assault, and almost never expel men found guilty of assault. I believe that the young women filing suit against UT, or against any university, should be taken seriously, and their allegations treated with respect. These allegations deserve to get a serious hearing in court, and not dismissed out of hand by anyone.

Mostly it's because it usually boils down to he said, she said - and often she didn't say it until months after the fact - there is usually alcohol involved and muddied (muddled) ideas of consent. It's usually not as simple as "the accused is guilty".

See - Duke Lacross team.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I seem to recall that Hart's consolidation cost Tenn some serious bucks in settling some claims.

Pretty cheap considering. Jennings I know there were buyouts and some other settlements but in the long run I have no doubt that it will save the university money.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I rarely disagree with anything you post, but I do think this is wrong. Let the AD and Pres office do the heavy lifting and low profile the female athletic coaches.

Frankly, Holly's early statement about using common sense and never go out alone at night on campus was the honest expression from her. The "all is ducky" presser by the assembled coaches is a very big fail. See the quote attributed to Debbie Jenkins in my post above.
Debbie Jennings as vtcbuff said is a FOP as in Friend of Pat, as in diehard loyalist who is bitter about the reorganization of the athletic department and got her pound of flesh. I have no idea about the merits of her case against TN but I have been involved in employment lawsuits before and it is usually pretty murky and in most cases (and employment lawyers definitely know this) institutions and companies reach settlements rather than go to trial regardless of whether they feel they are are in the right - with the fees the lawyers charge it is usually a lot cheaper to do so and less of a publicity hit.

I haven't listened to (nor will) the press conference though heard and read some clips. I don't think anyone was addressing anything that has happened in the past, but rather saying the situation isn't dire or at least no more dire than it is everywhere else in the world. Campuses have gotten a lot of publicity recently and they should, but I really doubt they are significantly different than anywhere else in this country - that we have a real issue with violence against women is not debatable - that it is worse within the 16-25 year old range is probably also true, that 19 years olds in college have it worse than 19 year olds in the general population as a whole I don't think has ever been proven (if it has please point me to a source as I would be very interested to see it.)
That law enforcement and society as a whole is very bad at dealing with these crimes is clearly true, but it is also pretty clear that these are some of the hardest crimes to prosecute without prejudicing the defendants because there are almost never any witnesses. (That prosecutors use that 'out' too often is also clearly the case.)

Reaction Score

Reprehensible absolutely..... I like to speak with a dose of courtesy, but the situation at Tennessee is shameful..... a sham of a press conference.... with everybody covering their own butt and not talking about the issue at hand..... we did not need to know that this women's team gets along well with this mens team..... and where was AD Dave Hart when his 16 varsity coaches could move logistically so that they could all meet at same time....

Now Dave Hart has scheduled news conference for 10AM tomorrow..... wonder what he will say..... and I am outraged on hearing the news today that football coach butch jones called a member of his team a "traitor" for assisting woman who had been sexually assaulted by another member of the team (he has been dismissed from team)..... this will surely make Tennessee the promo poster for "The Hunting Ground"

It is bad enough that this stuff happens...... but I get really upset when institutions that should protect their students, just deny deny deny

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As fans, WE need to put our foot down if things like this are known to be going on at our universities because WE pay the bills. We pay the bills either directly, through booster club donations and season ticket purchases or indirectly through TV viewership. I haven't heard from any Tennessee fans about this. Our MBB team played them at home tonight and I know there was a lot of chatter in the stands about the lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom